1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are you a member of or do you donate to PETA?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by syciprider, Sep 24, 2008.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Someone Snope this. It's strange even for PETA.

http://www.wptz.com/health/17539627/detail.html
    PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

POSTED: 2:21 pm EDT September 23, 2008
    UPDATED: 10:28 pm EDT September 23, 2008

VERMONT -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent a letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, cofounders of Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., urging them to replace cow's milk they use in their ice cream products with human breast milk, according to a statement recently released by a PETA spokeswoman.

"PETA's request comes in the wake of news reports that a Swiss restaurant owner will begin purchasing breast milk from nursing mothers and substituting breast milk for 75 percent of the cow's milk in the food he serves," the statement says.

PETA officials say a move to human breast milk would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health.

"The fact that human adults consume huge quantities of dairy products made from milk that was meant for a baby cow just doesn't make sense," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "Everyone knows that 'the breast is best,' so Ben & Jerry's could do consumers and cows a big favor by making the switch to breast milk."

In a statement Ben and Jerry's said, "We applaud PETA's novel approach to bringing attention to an issue, but we believe a mother's milk is best used for her child."

2. As whacky as Ben and Jerry are, they'll probably go along with it :rollno:

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    ******* Hippies!

4. True and hilarious. B&J may be whacky, but they aren't stupid. No one is going to buy breast milk ice cream!!

5. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I'm all for not being cruel to animals, but I think PETA are mostly impossible to take seriously.

6. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    +1, except when they're naked...

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I agree. PETA makes a lot of animal activists look like nutjobs.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    PETA are dangerous, a terrorist threat that should be taken as seriously as any other.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Ordinarily I'd find this hard to believe, but it is PETA.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    B&J's would probably call breast milk ice cream:

51KC3mp%2BmIL.

11. Not a fan of PETA after a member threatened to kill me once. Ethical.....right.

12. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    see, I'm also all for nudity, but not when it's being used as some cheap ploy to try to push their nutjob agenda. Bunch of patchouli stinking nutters...

13. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hell no, PETA gets little more than scorn from me. A noble concept warped by fanatics and extremism. PETA would be a decent organization if it weren't for it's members.

14. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They're just trying to make a point, and I think they're using humor -like an Onion article- to do so. They don't actually want breast-milk ice cream, they want to call attention to their core issue, the cruel slavery of animals. The negative health impact of cow's milk on human children, and the opening of a breast-milk restaurant, are just being used to buttress the position that cows shouldn't be treated that way.

I agree in general PETA does some highly objectionable stuff and makes other animal-rights activists look bad. But in this case it seems more like a humorous attempt to make a point, rather than "real" craziness.

15. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You gotta love those little fruitcakes. They're good for a laugh every now and then.

They set the animal-rights movement back 50 years every time they put pen to paper.

17. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I'm with bongo on this one.

And, as a VT resident most of the time, I can safely say that B&J doesn't give anything about what PETA thinks.

18. Now, that's a "PETA" I would be a member of....

:D

...as for the "real" PETA, well, check youtube out for the Penn & Teller Bull$h!t episode for my opinion, they pretty much nailed it.

;)

19. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

Sep 7, 2005
    I agree. Here's a link to the video:

20. Dangle

Dangle

May 28, 2008
    if they had to hire thousands of pregnant or new moms to pump boob juice i just want to know how in the world anyone would be able to afford their ice cream, i bet it would be delicious tho