Are you a perfectionist ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funk3108, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Funk3108

Jul 30, 2002
    I am, but I think it can bring more problems than good things.
    For those who are perfectionnists, are your songs perfectionned ¿
    Mine are not, I want always more...
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    yes, but no

i cant have my bedroom dirty, but then again, if i learn a song, i dont really care if its perfect, just aslong as it sounds good enough. thats what gets me into trouble sometimes, and i gotta work on it..
  3. I used to be, but, not anymore. Life is too short. Now I just play to enjoy it for myself. Same with most everything else. Enjoy life. Let no one bring you down. ;)

Mike J.
  4. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i'm pretty easygoing most of the time.

when it comes to bass playing and playing in my band, i sometimes get a little more uptight. it drives me crazy when other people in my band consistantly screw up their parts on certain songs. there are times when i just want to cut off my keyboard players hands.
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Yes, and you spelled 'perfectionist' incorrectly :D
  6. SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    I don't think I'm a perfectionist per se, but I have pretty high standards. I know that I'm going to make mistakes from time to time, and it doesn't really bother me much when I make them.

While I'm not shooting for perfection, I am strongly driven to improve. I always want to get better, and I get irritated when band members don't share my desire in that regard.

I'm aiming for progress, not perfection.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Duly taken care of (pardon the preposition).

What the hell is "perfectionned"?

Me, I'm more of a wide-eyed idealist.

(But honest).
  8. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I'm a perfectionist and minimalist. It makes for odd situations, that's for sure...
  9. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I'm a perfectionist. It actually means I do a lot of things badly. That's on account of the belief that if I can't be perfect, then why try? Not a good way to govern one's life I admit...
  10. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    as far as when it comes to being with my girl everything has to be perfect. ya know.. but when its music.. i just record it.. one take.. and its done.. ive only recorded the song on first take..
    oh well.. i guess its just like this.
    Im too impation to be a perfectionist:D
  11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000

EDITED: Spelling
  12. It's also why I spend an hour a day doing right hand exercises and hours more just doing all the different scales and their various keys.

I'm hoping that I'll attain a Zen feel for the bass where thought isn't required and the hands just do.
  13. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    The bass is too much fun to fret over your mistakes (no pun intended). If you screw up during the song, you don't have time to get too upset about it, you have to accept it and go on. I suppose if playing music was an undesirable chore, the mistakes I and others make would be pretty heavy on the mind.
  14. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I always considered myself a perfectionist (at least music wise) until I read SCH's post, I would have to say, that sums up my attitude more than saying I'm a perfectionist.

If I make a mistake or two, it doesn't bother me at all. Hey, if you are playing 3 45 minute sets a night, you're bound do make a blooper in there somewhere. But I'm never content to stay on a plataeu in my playing. I'll here some amazing bass player like Jaco, or Victor Wooten, or Adam Nitti and that will push me to try (read the word try :D ) to reach a level as them. I'm never fully happy with my playing, cause I know I have potential to play better, but it's just a matter of getting it tapped out. I believe people are on many "journeys" through life, and music is one of my journeys.

And that brings me to my other point, and that is I expect nothing but the best from the musicians I play with. If I feel that the musicians I'm with are sloppy or are mediocre, I see it as time to move on. I know that's a bit of a concieted attitude to have, but many people here have said it, and it's true: The better the musicians you play with, the better you are going to be. I need to be playing with musicians who push me to be better. I'm very shelfish with my talent, and again that probaly sounds concieted. But it's all part of the "journey". My musical goal is to be a "musician" not a rock star, or get all the chicks, or get lots of money from playing, and I need to surround myself with musicians that can make that happen.

Hope I didn't come off like a big headed jerk in this post, cause I'm not, but I just wanted to explain myself. :)
  15. uh...

i believe in america, they say 'hell no'?

what do i know, i'm canadian, i live in a igloo. right? or should i say "eh"?

my brothers are real perfectionists, they're both drummers. i just go with whatever comes my way.

my bothers are drummers....*snicker*

peace & plaid
  16. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Short answer: Yes and no... :)

Long answer: :oops: = yawn

I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to my own playing, or what other band members do musically. I don't think there is a right or wrong in music, only different. Everyone should do their best though, and listen.

I am however a perfectionist when it comes to practical stuff concerning my own gear (bass, PA, and recording), rehearsals, and gigs. I don't like surprises on gig night, people should be on time to gigs and rehearsals - or telephone a warning well in advance. We must have a correct plan from the people we play for regarding when we have to be finished with soundcheck, and when the first set is to start. Ideally I want plenty of time for setup and soundcheck or I get very stressed and annoyed. Everything takes longer than planned and I *hate* to be rushed the final minutes of soundcheck. To go there early doesn't always go down well with other band members who want to come in as late as possible, but that leaves me very little margin of error as I have to set up both my own gear and the PA.

Just a personal quirk I guess, I like to feel well prepared.