1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are You a Thoughtful Gifter?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GBBSbassist, Nov 29, 2018.

1. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    How good is TB at giving Christmas gifts (or birthday gifts or any gifts, whatever) to the special people in your lives?

Do you plan it out far in advance? Do you wait until last minute and just get them whatever?

I tend to put more thought into a gift for my girlfriend (listening is key) and my mom for Christmas, and admittedly, I probably lack a little effort on gifts for the rest of my loved ones.

Also, any particularly unique or cool gifts you've given or received?

Is this a concealed attempt at figuring out what to get my loved ones as gifts? Not anymore I guess...

P.S. Who else gets a small community gift for their band? I usually do. Last year, I bought a few pairs of sticks for my drummer, a large pack of picks for the other guitarist and bass player, and I got our singer some of his favorite tea.

2. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I try hard to be thoughtful, but no matter how much effort I put into really trying to surprise someone with a thoughtful and unique gift, most seem like they'd have been happier with gift cards or something from their list rather than a 'thinking outside the box' gift. So I take that into consideration, and nowadays just usually pick from their list rather than try to go imaginative. No surprises, but no disappointments either.

Plus, after being married nearly 32 years, my wife and I pretty much have everything we'd ever want, so for us it's more of spending the money for a weekend getaway or two rather than fill the house with more 'stuff'.

3. Gift giving shows how little taste I have, no matter how long it takes me to select things.

Gaolee likes this.
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I'm a champion. Last year at work, my Secret Santa recipient thought I must have a crush on her. I'm sure you all assumed that I did, but nope.

GBBSbassist likes this.
  5. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Our family takes all thought out of Christmas gifts -we are all required to supply lists and hand them to whoever draws your name (adults) and the kids have lists as well. I can and do shopping for my 8-10 people in about 30 minutes on Amazon...

It really is quite impersonal, but I do my best to just go along with the game...

6. NO !!! BAHHH HUMBUG !!! well, kinda kidding. We have never been big gift givers, we always set a budget. My grandchildren get everything they want all year long, their house is a toystore. Don't know what to get them, what ever my daughter suggests its expensive. I am no Gates or Trump so i live on a tight budget. Wife ? She is tough to buy for. Does not wear much jewelry or watches, wears scrubs at work, she is pretty laid back dresser. She has to buy for co-workers, friends, relatives, etc, so a lot of our extra gift $ is spent on these 'gotta give them something' gifts.
    Plan in advance, nah, last minute shopper here
    I do put a lot of thought in my wife a gift, yes, but what to buy her ?? She does like perfume, I usually get a nice perfume gift box.
    Cool gifts ? no, we do small gifts thru the year. Usually it is just a gift card, which is OK with me! Yep, we are boring !!

My mother grew up on a farm during the depression & WWII, Christmas eve they would put their shoes under the bed, when they woke up they would have fruit, candy and a little change in their shoes. Makes you see Christmas a little different knowing that.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    dwm74 and GBBSbassist like this.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Does spending more time thinking about it make you more thoughtful?
    Technically speaking I guess you're more thoughtful if you spend more time thinking, but I was figuring this was more about the quality of being thoughtful.

-Mike

8. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I'm not a great gifter, but my Mother-in-law is. Got this for my birthday:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.0UQ4Eq1UUbhTCRPJc1BjPwHaJ4%26pid%3D15.

and some glencairn glasses for drinking it.

9. Christmas shopping is easy. Go to Wal Mart on Christmas eve and buy what's left. Grandma hets a dog leash, one of the kids gets a shoe, the wife gets a dish drainer rack, and you get to sleep on the couch.

10. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

towel.

GBBSbassist likes this.
  11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I was at one time. i made a lot of gifts back then, but these days i’m pretty much a loaded card guy for the older folks and cash for the younger ones.

12. Reyzadren

Reyzadren

Nov 10, 2013
    Knowing what the other person wants is the first thing, but if I can't get it in time or with the right specifications, then I'm swapping to another idea, and it's appreciated anyway.

13. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I used to be, but at this phase of my life (young children, lots of complicated projects), I’m really kind of embarrassed about how badly I’ve been phoning it in for the past few years.

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I was going by how much you "nail it" as far as knowing what the person wants/needs, without having to actually ask them. When someone gets a gift for me that shows they were actually listening and paying attention, I feel truly blessed.

15. I buy things throughout the year so I'm not last minute. Finished shopping in August or September. All wrapped etc.

We do close family (5 of us). Everyone gets a book. Both households get a game. Then the other stuff is random cool things I found over the year. I've even got mothers day covered.

I'm hard to shop for because it's always super specific electronics so I end up gifting myself later. But I've gotten cool art from family. Can always use cool prints and sculptures.

16. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    - Well, I do try to be thoughtful...
    - No, I don't exactly plan ahead, but I'm always on the lookout for things I think might make a gift for someone...
    - Unique/cool gifts? I always try for that. For several years, my sister, brothers, and I used to try to see who could come up with the goofiest, most unique gift every Christmas. One year my sister called; between gasps for air, and fits of laughter, she said that I had won, and the contest was officially over. I think she still has the 5-piece, stuffed frog Mariachi band I'd sent her that year...:cool:

Which, by the way, I do not recommend you getting for your girlfriend. Unless she's as.. eccentric.. as my sister...:whistle:

17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I always try to find something they wouldn't have thought of, but appreciate. And yeah, often adults (and kids) don't need more "stuff". Our local supermarket gets in fresh flowers as regularly as most florists, and a LOT cheaper (under $10 for a dozen long stemmed roses). Maybe not with as fancy wrappings, but if you put them in a vase, no one notices. A year with fresh flowers always in her new vase for less than a nice family dinner in a restaurant...

18. Yes, too much to mention :)

19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

my wife = takes a lot of thought and i worry whether she'll like the gift. she always likes the gift!
    my kids = takes quite a bit of thought, but i'm never concerned about whether they'll like the gift --- they always do!
    my grandkids = i give it thought, but they generally seem to like the gift, until they open another one!
    my keyboard player = a little thought --- and an equal amount of appreciation!
    my horn players = some thought, but they already have a better version.
    my guitar player = i give it no thought. i know that he won't like it anyway.
    my drummer = no thought. i pick up a shiny rock and call it a "gift." he loves it.

20. My wife must be a drummer. She loves shiny rocks, especially if they have a ring or chain attached to them.

JRA likes this.