1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are you able to gig on an empty stomach ?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 8, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Are you able to gig on an empty stomach ? I prefer not to.

2. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Definitely not .... we regularly have customers buying us drinks and if I haven't eaten anything it wouldn't take long to get too buzzed to play ..... :cool:

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I prefer not to do anything on an empty stomach! :p

4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    What an interesting question.

I try to eat lightly, just as if I were about to run a 5K or something. I want to have adequate energy for the need, but don't want to feel uncomfortably full.

Note - someone mentioned having enough in the stomach to fend off the alcohol. Makes sense to me, but as I have two kids who are in the bed with us raring to go by 7 AM - whether or not I had a gig the night before - I severely limit my drinking when I gig. Usually two beers. I have found that to be the most significant factor contributing to my ability to function the next day.

5. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Yes, I do it all the time, but Im a very picky eater. For instance, I hate bread!

6. I try to keep my stomach at about 65% so I can stuff my face with complimentary refreshments afterwards :smug:

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Can I?? Yes I can.

Do I? No way.

My reasoning is exactly the same as Ed's. Somebody feeds the hungry bass player a couple of shots, and suddenly I have all the timing of the intoxicated drummer!!

8. I like to have something nutritious and satisfying in my stomach before a gig, like a generous quantity of salmon sashimi. But a filling serving of any "comfort food" would be fine too. Just nothing that would cause tummy disturbances (I have a very ornery GI tract).

I can't consume any alcohol before or during a gig. Alcohol definitely makes my physical stamina and endurance plummet. Even a slight buzz. I have to stick to non-alcoholic stuff until after my job is done.

9. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I groove best when completely stuffed!!!!!!

10. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Hypoglycemia keeps me from functioning well on an empty stomach. Although I try to never hit the stage on a full stomache either (something about waiting 30 minutes to avoid cramps ;) )

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I drink water 99% of the time on a gig. I usually like to eat just a little before hand and do it well enough in advance that I don't feel full during the gig. I prefer to play on an empty stomach and eat after than eating right before Iplay.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have a bad habit of going to Jose's (A taco stand in a bad part of town that closes at 4:00am) and loading up on chalupa's smothered in their homemade hot sauce and jalepeno's after a gig, and then going home, unloading my truck and snuggling up to my sleeping wife. Makes for a rough morning (and a rough night for my honey).

13. Yep, did last night. But, afterwards, when I realized I was still hungry, I was starving.

14. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Not on a completely empty stomach, but I actually prefer that over being too full. If I'm too full, my voice is worse and it makes me really tired. That's not too nice as I usually sing lead or at least background vocals. Neither do I drink anything with carbonic acid until after the gig, as it makes me burp. It's not very nice when you have to try to fit the burps in between the phrases... :D So if alcohol is served, I usually take a glass of wine instead of a beer. And I keep the alcohol consumption within a reasonable limit (max three portions) to maintain a reasonable concentration and timing.

EDIT: And as SteveC, I drink lots of water too, but mainly to keep my voice in a good condition...

15. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    I prefer not to play with a full stomach because I don't want to get really hot on stage and then feel sick the rest of the day. So I usually eat a few hours before I go on or eat when I leave the venue. Some people can stuff their faces with food then immediately jump on stage and play but i'm not one of them. I guess it's because I do a lot of jumping around, head banging and all that good fun stuff.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I can and have but I'd rather not.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I prefer to be hungry.

If I have just eaten I typically feel lethargic and much less energetic. I typically skip the meal that directly precedes the show I'm about to play.

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I can't stand playing hungry. I usually eat just before heading to the venue, and pack a couple of energy bars in my gig bag. Sometimes I don't need one, but sometimes those 10:00 sets don't start until much later, and they come in handy.

19. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I like to eat just the right combination of foods to gas out my bandmates on stage.

20. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    I usually play on an empty stomach and have more than some alcohol in me.

I get really nervous in front of crowds and being drunk helps and I actually play better that way. I relax and just play what I want (rarely are my basslines exactly the same, I do a lot of variations while still keeping with the original template) and I get people dancing and I keep getting asked to play.

After the show I'll eat and relax with friends and bandmates.