Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are you an artist or performer?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Sep 9, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    There seems to be a divide between being an artist, and a performer. Where do you guys fit in this spectrum?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Musician!

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am an artist that happens to be a perfomer. like most painters that perform when they paint( think Jackson Pollock.)

It's an interesting tidbit that during the Baroque era of music (1685-1750) The order of importance and artistry in music went like this:
    1.Composer -the creator so therefore the true "artist."

2. The performer - Merely the "executant" of composed works so on a lower rung than the comoposer. It is interesing to note however that most Baroque musicians could improvise their butt;s off - they had to becuase much of the written music was incomplete.

For instance the concept of "thorough bass" which was generally the parts for the harpsichord and the gamba or the cello. The harpsichord parts genereally only had one line of the counterpoint written out and by reading symbols placed above the music the performer was expected to "fill in the blanks."

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm a bass player. Just a bass player, that's all.

This reminds me of an interview with Johnny Kruk, the former baseball player and one-time Padre, in which the interviewer referred to Kruk as an "athlete." Kruk responded, "I'm not an athlete, I'm a baseball player."

I'm not a musician. I'm a bass player.

Now don't you snooty east-coast types and euro-pansies get all in a tizzy over this. I'm sure many of you are artists, and many others are performers. Me, I'm just a bass player.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

works for me

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah, musician combines the two.

Performer, I performed on stage last night.

Artist, I write my own parts, I contribute to finished pieces of music and I improvise live and in the studio.

So I am both, but specifically in a music sense.

Performer and artist are both very all ncompassing terms.

..but in the end I'm just a bass player too :)

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes ;)

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    piss artist, under performer.. that's me :D

9. Err, performing artist? :D

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    hey moley, you're 5000th post and all you said was "yes"... that's kinda cool... considering the average words per post ;) :D

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm a performer.

Artist? Most musicians are craftsmen, not artists.

I'm not sure I can even call myself a craftsman with a straight face :rolleyes:

12. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Artistic Performer? ;)

13. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I'm not an artist.

I'm a musician who tries to put on a good (entertaining, energetic) performance by playing bass in a cover band.

I admire performing artists a bit more than plain artists/composers. There's something about live interaction and moments of true communication that makes me tingle.

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think I would be most gifted at being a Performance Artist :D

Anyways, euro-pansy or not, I've always been most interested in the performance-part - you know, getting on the stage and throwing a set with energy and attitude that gets your fluids flowing and crowd jumping. I guess that would make me a performer.

15. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I'm A Perfartist

16. do perfartists leave a funny after-scent? :p

i'm a drummer. i suppose i consider myself more of a performer, as "artist" connotes some real major talent ability, which i don't have.

i do try to play sensitively and artistically, though.

as i bash and bloody my hands about the tubs.

:bassist:

17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    When I'm at home I'm an artist. I play music for the sake of the music. I don't care what anyone thinks of the music, it's an expression of what I am feeling at the moment. I create and experiment.

At the gig, I'm a performer. I tune into the audience. I put on a show. I think about my stage presence. If they want flash, I'll give em flash. If they want to dance, I'll lay down a simple and mean booty shakin grove. If they want to hear a certain tune or style, I'll try to accomodate. My main gig is a cover band, so I am limited in my artistry, but I'll inject where I can.

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I am an Ar-teest, genius and a millionaire!:D Oh, who am I kidding, I'm a musician!

19. In my heart of hearts I'm a creator - an artist.But there is something about playing to a live audience - that ego boosting tingle when things are in the pocket that makes it a performance thing. :smug:I'm a visual artist as well but that has a different kind of rush.Playing live is like is like a fix.The adrenelin is pumping:hyper:for an extended amount of time and you essentially end up being exhausted or spent:oops:::. Then you want more of the same the next day:bassist:. Perfartists is hilarious! lol

If anybody's interested you can see some samples of my artwork at www.artwanted.com/McDonall

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A bass player. Just a bass player.