Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are you an Up Front or Laid Back bassist, or really both?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Arranger, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Up Front, leading the performance

15 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. Laid Back, supporting the show

35 vote(s)
    39.8%
  3. Truly Split, 50/50 between the two

38 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Overall, are you an Up Front (leading) bassist, a Laid Back (supporting) bassist, or Truly Split between the two?

2. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    I am both. I really take charge of the show, but since I play with two really strong players, I can lay back and support too.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Both, depends on the type of gig and music.

4. a bassist IMO has to be able to do both, depending on the situation.

5. When soloing, harmony backup with vocalists, or in a real "jam song" I will step up. But when it is some one else' turn to shine, I back out and let them have their turn. Don't be a spot light hog, and you will get along better with your band mates.

John

6. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I don't mind stepping up my playing, or having the spotlight if it fits the needs of the song. I like to put tasty runs and fills in while keeping the groove going more so than having the "solo spotlight". I am playing with excellent guitarists so I don't feel pressured to carry the load...

7. i think that its the coolest thing to just b yerself and let the playing speak for u. a true musician who is watching in the audience knows who is carrying theshow and who to watch. its always the best/safest thing to be 50/50 in playing. as long as u r having funand holding down yer groove, add in sum cool fills or runs, and if people notice yer skill, u wont have to hog the limelight. :bassist: :D

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Definitely both. When my friends and i first started a band, i was really into being the focus of attention, but as my bass playing has matured, i actually enjoy playing a supporting role sometimes. Generally in our songs the bass line will be something that accentuates the guitar line, since we play 'funk alternative' the guitar line is usually some funky riff.. and then the bass either plays a real upbeat arpeggio thing, or a more funky line with mutes etc that blends in with the guitar line really well.

9. I don't think I qualify as "laid back" but I don't want the "white hot spot light" either. I like to play my game.

10. it's all about me!!! guitarist who??? :p

11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    My band is a three piece and the guitar player sings, so he's pretty staitonary. So it's up to me to provide the "non-stop visual feast" for the ladies.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im laid back and play a supportive role, just holding it together with a nice groove most times.

13. i play in a 4-piece, vocals, guitar, drums and myself on bass so i not only do the "standard" bass thing, but i fill the role of rhythm "guitar" as well. i am not one much for soloing but i throw in my share of runs and fills as is warranted by the song. hell, with the right effects going on i will play a somewhat keyboardish part if called for..i do what needs done.

14. PartlyDave

PartlyDave

Dec 28, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Personally, I am agressive with the music but not visually. In that, I mean I try to be very focused muscially and drive the song but I dont exploit my presence visually. My roll is to support the rest of the group. I much prefer to be more into the sonic and not the visual performance.

15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I'm laid back. I like just supporting the show.

16. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm more upfront, not neccessarily because I'm a spot light hog, but just because I think people react well to me having so much fun on stage. (the jumping, running, walking into the crowd, etc.)

17. I like stepping up, but I'm not the bass solo type of guy. I like doing fills and being energetic, but I can be laid back too.

18. I havnt really started gigging yet, but cause I play real strong slap in all the songs I play (its not tricky self absorbed slap, like bass solos or anything, infact I dont think I have a single prepared solo for the entire set), so Im going to be pretty much upfront, but I prefer to bounce of my band members, not running up the front of the stage so I can be spotlighted, I like to interact with my band members, at jams me and the singer try to dance like James Brown... to sex machine and licking stick (I do some covers that arent slap), I let the music dictate whether people are focussed on me, Ill be jumping around (ive practised so so so much to be able to jump around and slap at the same time...) no matter whats going on. That may look stupid at times but **** IT!!!

19. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    well my playing is quite supportive but a bit up front but since everyone knows me I kinda have alot of eyes on me.Not being egotistical or anything

20. Laid back, lucky enough to have 2 great singers in the band who juice it up. I can sit at the back near the drummers hats and drink my rum.