Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are you attatched to your bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowner, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    Do you feel that you basses are like childern? do you take extra special care of them or are they just a tool of the trade?
    Do you have basses that you dont play but cant bear to part with?
    I'm asking cause I have a lot of guitars (not basses) that i could sell or trade and get a really nice bass.Since I seem to have for prowess for bass ,but I cant bear to part with them. Yet I really would like to get a nice high end bass. My what a delemma.

2. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Sell all your guitars and buy a Ritter bass.
    www.ritter-basses.com

You'll be the coolest kid on your block, I guarantee you "mens wearhouse" style. ;)

Oog

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I had a nightmare that my friedn picked my bass up by the strings and the headstock folded forward.

I woke up and sprinted downstairs and jumped for joy!

4. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Tools. But I take good care of my tools, whether we're talking about my basses or my screwdrivers. I don't know what that has to do with you getting a high-end bass... but of course I think you should sell your guitars and buy a bass, whether it's high-end, vintage, a cheap import or a double bass.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No, I'm not attached to any bass I own. If I lost them tomorrow, I'd be pissed, but I wouldn't cry over it. I'd simply go out and get another one. Or two. I have only sold one bass in my life, a piece of crap Ibanez Destroyer. But it's more because I thought it would be harder to get new basses and break them in than it would be just to keep what I had.

In your case, I don't think I'd sell all your guitars. Maybe keep one or two you really like. And I certainly wouldn't throw it all into one $3000 bass. I'd get a good bass for right around $1000. It's because I think the vast majority of high end basses simply aren't worth it. YMMV, but that's the way I feel.

6. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I'm very attached to my first bass and I don't think I'll ever sell it.

7. Was never attached to the POS basses I owned, but wouldn't trade out my current babes for anything.....except maybe that Sadowsky Geddy...... :D

8. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm attatched. I tend to take care of my equipment, and even on my SX, when I realized that there were a ton of tiny scratches on teh back (playing sitting down + pants with zippers...)...I got a little ticked and depressed.

On the other hand, I kinda did realize that it was cheap and I could easily buy a new one, so its all good...I think.

But Yes I am really attatched to my stuff.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I agree with this somewhat. They're tools, but just like my Craftsman stuff, I take good care of 'em. I only use basses that give me the vibe I want though, so there's some kind of voodoo going on with basses, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I prize them, I love them, but I don't worship them. Except my vintage P.

10. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I play all of mine, all 17 of them. The only one I'd really lose sleep over is my '73 Jazz. The rest, as fine as they are, I could replace.

Would I miss them? Of course. Would my life come to an end? No. That's why I have them all insured.

My basses are, to certain degrees, my children. However, they are not live things. It's for this reason that I don't get too wrapped up in them.

All this being said ... love my instruments, and would be horribly disappointed if anything happened to them. However .... they're not living things, per se. I can replace most of them. And I would.

Alan

11. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I'm attached to a degree. My basses have been where I have been, played all the good gigs, all the crap gigs, they have been there while I have been getting better on them. Having said that, i don't baby them, but I do take good care of them, and they do get heavily used but not abused. I would be very cut if I lost my basses, since they are difficult to replace, and I am so used to them. But after a bit I would get over it and get some new ones.

12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I've only got one bass, and it's my pride and joy, along with my flute. They're like an extra two arms. I'd never sell my bass. Even though it is a 200 dollar Squier, it has meaning to it.

13. Attatched. I don't think I could ever sell my first bass, even though I knocked the **** outta it and it looks like hell. I love my basses, they don't talk back to you like live children do. And when they do, it sounds good :D

14. I'm definatly attached...at least to 2 of my basses. One was my first decent bass (had a crummy starters bass for a few months before that), a DeArmond Pilot Deluxe. It took me through my first 5 years of bass playing and I'd never sell it. Its Swamp ash body has faded over the years to a nice yellow tint and there's signs of wear now which gives it that character. Plus it plays and sounds great!!! Best $300 I ever spent.

Then there's my Ken Lawrence which I'm very attached to. It's one of the family. Got it at a great price and put a bunch of extra money into fixing up the neck (straightened, refretted, refinished, new nut) and then got some custom Benavente pickups and pre for it :D

15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I am attatched to my bass for several reasons:

#1- PURE LUST

#2- RESPECT, my bass provides my "voice" when I make music. My bass represents me well and I credit it with my success and happiness.

#3- IT CANNOT BE REPLACED, while I may be able to find another that is very similar, and maybe even better, no two hand made basses are the same. Wood and trees are like people, no two are exactly alike. When I do a "search" on Ebay and Craig's List and there is not a single bass similar to mine for sale I tend to hold on even tighter.

When I am on the way home from a gig and I have to make a stop, no matter how brief, I always have my bass on my back, NO EXCEPTIONS. While I have plenty of equipment that may be more "valuable" in terms of $$$, it can stay in the car.

16. ^^^ That pretty much sums it up :bassist:

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It must be really tough to whiz in a 7-11 bathroom with a bass on your back. I'd be more afraid it would get jacked by a really fast mugger on my back than if it's in the car.

18. when i get my new fender USA 62 RI jazz is sure as well will be

19. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I had just started another thread and deleted it because this one says the same thing, didn't even see this one.

I've gotten the bug for buying/trading basses and gear over the last year or so (no thanks to TB, :D ). Didn't even think of selling any of my old ones that I've collected over the years or getting a new main axe to replace my trusty Q5 that I used for a decade, but all that has changed recently. I'm considering selling a few of my 'collectibles' to subside some sadowsky gas but can't decide.

Anyone here really regret selling that old bass you had sitting around, or was it a good move as to acquire something you really use now? I'm not talking pre-cbs jazzes or anything, but maybe getting rid of my 75 jazz and/or steiney L2, maybe others. (I did trade my pre-gibson tobias that I didn't use much to another TBer for a Q6 which I'm really growing to like, so maybe I should take that as a hint?)

I don't think I'm really attached to any of mine right now. I'm going through that phase where I never am 100% happy with my sound/gear right now. Didn't use to be like this, but lately I just can't feel or dial in what I hear in my head.

20. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I sold 4 high-end guitars to buy my bass gear. Now all i have is a beater yamaha classical. Not worth selling as i wouldnt get anything for it. These days I rarely touch a guitar. before bass I was on the guitar a couple hours a day. I still sucked though.