Are you chasing the dream?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheVoiceless, Aug 4, 2009.

1. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    Like most musicians I started out with stars in my eyes, dreaming of making it to the big time. Fast forward 16 years later and I am still dreaming. A few years and a band ago, I really had issues with the amount of success I had achieved and the fact that I had wanted to be further along. Which led to band arguments and a lot of self doubt and unneeded frustration.

Since then I have become more comfortable with the idea that I may not achieve the goal I had set (playing bass in an original pro touring band). But I refuse to give up.

So my question is are you still chasing the dream? And if you have given up, have you changed your goals? Also what is your dream? I can imagine that for some it may be as humble as playing their first live show, or maybe going from an indie label band to a Major label band. And at what point to you stop trying?

2. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I realized that chasing a record deal is like grasping for the wind. It's really all about networking, luck and timing, not ability and talent. My new goal is to play music until they put me in that box.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, when I was younger I expected to "make it big". At this point, my current dream is to make a comfortable living with music. I've reached an age where giving up is not an option, but thinking I'll be rich and famous is just plain silly.

4. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    My Dream is to play music. It's a reality. I'd also like to make a living playing music and I've left that to faith. I'm working to earn the second part.

God Bless, Ray

5. Exactly what I'm doing too. I play because that's what I was given by my creator to do. What He wants to do with it is another matter but I strive to be the best I can be with what I've been given.

6. After 30+ of live playing, I have given up this year, sad to admit it though. But I will not give up on playing music.
    The home studio isn't a horrible place to end up to be honest, modern musical choices leave me no place anymore.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Never was my dream. Nothing to chase.

I have always wanted a more stable career, and I have plenty of chances to play music while doing other things that are higher priority to me.

8. steele

steele

Jan 11, 2008
    Well I'm 16 right now so I guess you could say I still have "the dream" in my eyes. My best friend and I do nothing else in life other than play music. We write original material that we actually record do to the fact that his uncle has a studio in his house and we give ourselves the goal of a cover a week, or more right now b/c its summer. We try to play as many gigs as possible, like coffee shops or what not, where ever we can. And I think what sets us apart from other kids with the dream of being a quote on quote "rock star", (which I really never liked that term), is our level of maturity and seriousness about the situation. We both are going to move to California after high school and are going to crash with his uncle until we find jobs and can afford some type of place to live, obviously it wont be a very nice one haha. So you could say were just two kids moving out to California to become a star. I know that were supposed to graduate, go to college, get a job, get married and die. But for me my one dream in life is "the dream", and you only live life once so I want to go for it. All I wanna do is play music. So the plan is to be out there at 18, get a place and then find a drummer. So this way at the age of 18, we could hopefully have a solid band which gives us a good chunk of years to try and make a name for ourselves. Then you have the opportunity to start doing nothing but work to live (and starve lol), and gig as much as possible and write. And I know that it could easily all not work out the way you want it to, which is probably what happens to 90% of people. But all I know for sure is that at least I won't regret the fact that I never even gave it a shot! And who knows, maybe you could get lucky, you never know. Also to anyone who says to themselves, "well what if your friend bails on you". It's impossible for anyone else to really understand but in school we are those two "rock n' roll kids" with long hair. We don't play sports or anything, music is our life. We have a bond like brothers and are both set for this hopeful journey.

Sorry to rant, but appreciate the thread and think I have something good to bring to it.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hey Steele good for you bro. Hope it works out, but you might want to have some sort of backup plan.

Personally, I made myself complete my degree before I allowed myself to join a band. I knew once I was in a band everything else would take a back seat. Since I had to totally support myself and pay my own way thru University I wasn't able to graduate until I was 32 y.o.

Now my dream is to play music in two bands that play a total of 4 gigs per month combined, make some extra cash and most importantly immerse myself into my number one passion... playing live.

If I could do it all again I would have started learning the bass as a little kid, joined a touring band as a young adult and then settled down to have a family later on.

10. I'm 20, paying my own way through college. School is first, band is second. But the band I'm in is to the point of 2/3+ gigs a month for the last 2-3 months, going to get more as we get more fans. For right now, I AM living the dream. Great band, great times, and it's enough to satisfy my need to play live but still leaves me excited for the near future where we do it more, and now I still can focus on school and getting rent and groceries paid with my job. In two years when I graduate who knows what I'll do, but at least I'll be able to say that I'm on the up and up right now and maybe then music can be full time.

11. steele

steele

Jan 11, 2008
    Thanks man. And yes I do know I need a back up plan. But it seems that in today's world its pretty easy to go back to school and make some sort of a career for yourself. I just feel going to school would take up a lot of prime years in trying to make it.

12. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    i just wanna play live to a lot of people thats all i want, i wanna record a full cd or just a single song so that when im 70 80 i can listen to it again and remember how awesome my friends and youth was

13. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I'm 19 and getting a criminal justice 2 year degree. I should be done at 20 or 21. Than its off to L.A. I plan on trying to make it on a bigger label and i know the chances are slim and thats why my degree is a good back up.Plusif i just landed a small label but enough to live comfortable with about 50,000+ a year i'd be ok with that.

i figure i will be young and have a degree living in L.A even if i dont make it big i think it will be something i look back on and love that i did it.

I dont want t grow old and wonder If.

14. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    I know that relationship, my best friend who is aguitarist ive known him since the day i was born literally, our moms were on rooms next to eachoter and him and i were next to eachoter in the nursery, and the only ones crying lol, i guess we were metalheads since day one, ive lived my entire 17 and a half years along with him and i would never EVER play in a band without him, and yes i am chasing it but i dont wannabe the next metallica or iron maiden, i just wanna open for them maybe, that'll do..

15. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    Sad to hear. Do you have specific plans for retirement? You mention the home studio. Could be a good place to help some youngsters get a good musical footing. Do you plan on recording for commercial use or just for fun? Are you saying that your musical tastes are not with current musical styles?

I plan on being their one day. But for now i am still on my quest for success. My band has the contacts. Just a matter of having the material ready.

16. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    im 24 and my first gig is sunday night. i'm a little nervous. but, were just a garage band that happen to get a show at a club. should be interesting. we all have combo amps haha.
    i messed around with bass in high school but never took it serious. until feb. of this year when these dudes asked me to join their band at a party. its fun. i dont expect to "make it", but a couple of gigs a month would be cool. we will see how our first show goes. and take it from there.

17. I'm a little old to be chasing anything I suppose. I'm 33. I'm sure it happens to people my age, but maybe less often. I regret putting the bass down between the ages of 22 and 30. However, the band I have been with for the last 6 months would be the band to make it I suppose. We have a pretty good following because the band has been around for 8 or 9 years. We don't play out enough, though. Once every other month. Not my choice. Its hard to even get them to practice once a week. Everyone is usually busy with work. I think work is the real reason that the chances of "making it" are slimmer. You gotta be out there more.

18. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Never wanted to chase it. I don't like living on tour busses and hotels. I'm happy to just do this as a hobby and do something else I love that pays decently during the day.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I was in a band that signed a record deal with EMI - but that was the end of the dream - it was the worst thing that happened to the band and completely disillusioned me about the record industry! :meh:

20. Hey TheVoiceless,
    It's not sad, it's just life.

Well my plans for retirement are to attempt to stop living my life completely focused on music. It's very difficult since its has been my main drive all these years.

I'm not a teacher at all.

I've been recording for many years too.

And no commercial work is not the intent at all, actually just the opposite. My musical taste has always been anti-mainstream, it's just looking back at some of the projects I have done over the years, there's no market really anymore for Prog and Fusion music. And I'm just tired of beating my head against the wall.

And the cover music scene is just not an option anymore, I've done that for a long time too. Life's too short to play other peoples music.

And if I could change a King Krimson lyric,
    "I'm a Dinosaur, Nobody is Digging my Bones". :)

Dirk

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021