1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are you controversial?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Hey guys

After reading the (very entertaining) thread about poisoned cats, I noticed that member Poop Loops was saying how he enjoyed having a different point of view to everyone else and made no bones about saying it.

Are you like him? Controversial for the entertainment value?

Discuss.

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I don't "enjoy" having a different view. I just do. If my views happen to conform to society, then that's cool. If not, then that's fine too.

3. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    +1

You don't have to agree with someone for the sake of agreeing, or disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Say it like it is, who cares if it conforms to society.

Poops. you are awesome.

4. It wasn't an attack on you, Poops, I perhaps should have chosen more careful words.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Sometimes. I will usually only do it when the other person is knowledgable about their opinion. So on occasion, I do enjoy playing the "devils advocate" role.

-Mike

6. Often times people get confused, because I may agree with them, but play a bit of devil's advocate and pose them questions from the opposite side. This offends many people, but I do it for a reason usually.. If you cannot defend your own side from the opposition, you are not providing a very good point.

I wouldn't really call myself controversial per se though. I certainly do not conform with society often times (not that there is anything wrong with that), but I usually tend to have my own view on things which are contrary to the norm.

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I know. That's why I hate the "EVERYBODY is right!" crowd. No spine. :meh:

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I'm probably only controversial to American patriots and christians, and by "controversial" I mean "general pain in the ass."

Also, I listen to bands like Infidel? / Castro! but that probably just makes me a weirdo.

9. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I'll be controversial, for the sake of being controversial with people with whom I'm good friends. I have a buddy who is controversial with anyone, and while I like the guy, not a lot of people do. He tends to get on their nerves after a matter of minutes.

As far as arguing/debating goes, If it's someone I don't know or know poorly I usually only say anything if what they're saying is either dangerous or if they're close to convincing someone that something which is objectively wrong is right.

10. sometimes im controversial. i like to play devil's advocate sometimes. its good to look at all angles of a situation.

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Agreed.

I mean, if you're having a discussion about something important - free speech rights is the one I always find myself in - I think it can be important to take up an unpopular view.

But as far as picking fights (as I see it) about dumb things (as I see them), it can be really annoying.

12. I'm not controversial just for the sake of it, but poops and I do tend to agree on stuff sometimes...

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I formulate and hold my view as part of my social outlook and connection , it really comes down to where I am at with an issue.

14. Thats me as well. That said, I do enjoy winding people up, but usually its nothing serious. Its amazing (to me at least) how many people have no idea how a debate actually works.

15. I am fiercely opposed to whatever anyone else is in favor of. I poo-poo on what they hold dear. I enjoy wedging myself in people's metaphysical craw. I am misanthropic for giggles.

16. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I don't think I'm very controversial, but I do have strong opinions about things and will stick to them.
    However, I am open to intelligent debate and will change my view if provided a strong enough argument or if given enough evidence.

17. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I'm very controversial.

18. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Nope.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No. Keep in mind that we all finally agreed that Poop Loops is a knucklehead.

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I don't mind a good debate, but I try to steer clear of political and religious topics here on TB. I've found that it's darn near impossible to convince someone who is passionate about either of these topics that they are wrong on an issue, even when objective facts clearly show this to be true, and usually just leads to bad feelings on both sides. Outside of TB, I have strong feelings on these subjects.

I'll state my opinion here on other things, but I don't go out of my way to be controversial just to wake people up or something. If what I write turns out to be controversial OTOH, so be it.