Are You Experienced? Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Morrighan, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Almost certainly I have played a Jazz Bass before. Yet that experience was so long ago I couldn't have told you beans about a Jazz with any certainty. What I remembered was: Fender Jazz, well whatever. Hardly intended as a Fender slight, then or now. I like Fender.

And I found myself a welcome guest in Donegal, and am asked to play. I have my amp with me but my bass is in Achill .... And this is what I observed:

The Jazz is really comfortable to play. First thing: to me, it's light. The borrowed Jazz has a 2 inch strap, and the first thing I think is: bass is light enough to use a 2 inch strap.

And I like the neck. Now it's true, it's not my neck (which as we all know is teh besto only because it is mine and I've not played anything but mine for decades). But it's a good neck and I can see getting comfortable with it.

It's very playable, this is my next observation. I notice my right hand finds a different position to get the tone I want. That's closer to the bridge than I normally play.

The tone: who knows? I'm on a borrowed amp on a borrowed bass with $deity knows what kind of strings that are set up kind of high to my own taste. So: who cares? With some experimentation I figure out how to get a tone I like and it is good enough for the evening.

My take: nice bass. Still like mine better. Big surprise, we do that, if only out of familiarity. It's really comfortable, I'll give it that, and while I doubt a Jazz would be my BFF I wouldn't turn it away as a stranger.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  2. west al

west al Ready, PLAY! Supporting Member

It took me a bit of time to realize the Jazz is my go to bass. Comfortable, and playability that's well into my playing comfort zone.

Rocker949 likes this.
  3. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Jazz and Jazz style basses are all I play now, for all the reasons you stated.

Rocker949 and gsgbass like this.
  4. Sounds like an adventurous night... and a strange one to be sure. Glad you made the best of it! For some reason, the adventures of a BP in Ireland seem more interesting...

I'm replying to your thread because I'm a bit partial to Fender basses, especially because of their comfortable neck design. I've played a fretless PB since 1969. Playing soul, R&B, R&R, C&W, jazz and blues, I never thought I'd buy another bass, but where I live now, folks like classic rock, so in 2012 I bought a fretted JB, a Geddy Lee. And I'm very happy I did.

In fact, they truly compliment each other. I set up the PB as a Motown machine and the sparkling JB for rock. Think of it as James Jamerson meets Geddy Lee... Jeckle and Hyde, if you wish, but owning both now, helps me cover all bases.

PB: fretless, rosewood FB, Badass bridge, rubber mute, SC PUP, La Bella 1954 Flats 110,95,73,52.
    JB: fretted, maple FB, Badass bridge, HB PUP, D'Addario XL Chrome Flats 105,85,70,50.

Fortunately, I lucked-in with the neck. I never realized that the fretless PB simply used a Jazz Bass neck without frets. Both necks are slim profile measuring in width at 1.5 to 2.2 inches from nut to 12fth fret and neck thickness is 0.8" 1st fret and 0.89" 12fth fret. Imagine my surprise when I finally tried a PB with the regular Precision neck. Felt like a 2x4. I was spoiled and never knew it.

Speaking of straps, I finally bought an expensive one. Well worth the investment for the comfort it provides. No distractions.

upload_2016-12-13_0-53-16.png

FloridaSam and Rocker949 like this.
  5. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    USA
    It has been ten years ago now. It only lasted a few months. But my experience with a J bass was also in Ireland. A friend there had wanted me to come over and help start a band. So I did. We lucked up and got a few good gigs in Dublin. It was the only time I had ever played a J bass. I had played a Precision long ago when I had to borrow one for a gig. I liked the Jazz much better--for all the reasons stated here. I had actually avoided Fender for many years because I hadn't much liked the P bass, just to be honest. But the Jazz is in a league of its own, IMO.

StringNavigator and gsgbass like this.
  6. I spent the $$$ on that Gibson memory foam strap too. I had buyers remorse until my first gig. I love that strap. It makes everything attached to it just more comfortable. It cost more than some of my pawn shop find basses but again, to me, worth it. No other strap is like these.

Rocker949 and StringNavigator like this.
  7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    What is your bass?

Yes, I am experienced. One of my favorite players is a jazz-type bass with a precision pickup in the neck position.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

I've played a Fender P-Bass.
    And I've played a Fender Jazz.
    But I would never own either one.
    I can't stand that same old face I've always seen.
    Now and in the past I've had other basses that sound pretty much like those two.

9. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Mine is a pre-EB StingRay. Ray =/= JB yet both have their points, IMO.

spiritbass likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021