1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are you frightened by the prospect of a future with Alzheimer's for yourself ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 18, 2008.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Are you frightened by the prospect of a future with Alzheimer's for yourself ? I probably wouldent deal with that prospect very well.

2. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Yes. Both sides of my family are plagued with Alzheimer and Parkinson. I just don't want it to happen too soon.

3. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

Yeah, and to make matters worse, I just saw on the national Nightly News tonight that a new study out concludes that 1 in 8 can expect to have Alzheimer's in their old age. That's 18%...Now that's a big number and it got my attention... )-(

4. My Mom has it BAAAAAAAAD now. I think I have it also. Not bad, just a bad memory.............Like...........where the hell are my keys............my cell phone...........my wallet.............my glasses :confused: :mad:

I shouldn't have burned out all the brain cells in the 80s :rollno: I need them now :scowl:

5. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Nope, because I'm a smoker, and smoking has a negative correlation with Alzhiemers and Parkinsons.

I'm getting ready for the lung cancer, though.

6. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    YES!!!

7. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
  8. No.

9. If these are your math skills now, you can't afford to lose much more mental function.

10. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah, my grandma has severe dementia, doesn't really even know who my mum is (her daughter). Its hard and pretty sad. It runs in my family...

11. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I used to work in a nursing home and I saw elderly people dying from many different causes. None of them scare me except Alzheimer's. I could handle cancer or diabetes or heart disease or anything else but I absolutely do not want to spend years in a deteriorating body with a mind that has long since quit functioning.

12. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    NO...no history on either side of the family.

13. KeithBMI's zing of the day.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    No because living in fear of what might happen isn't worth it.

15. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    No I am not. I don't see why you should be, cause frankly once you get there you won't even know. no use fretting over it now.

16. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    My great-grandmother before she died thought I was her second son when I went to visit her. Just to give her solace and at least something as simple as to see a smile on her face I would acknowledge it.

17. falstro

falstro Good Bassists Don't Forget Anything

No, I don't.
    And you gotta look at the good side of it; if you do get Alzheimer's, you keep meeting new people!

18. Im not, chances are heavily weighted towards any of us in the western world dying of either Heart Disease or Cancer (Heart Disease is still higher up than cancer, just).

Every male in the family on my mums side had a heart attack at 50, (not during thier 50s, but actually 50!). So im not looking forward to that possibility. But they all seem to survive it well, my grandad had four heart attacks between 50 and 79, and his heart was still really healthy when he died apparently (cancer)

Always a silver lining

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Heck, I wouldn't remember I had it. It would suck for my family though. Put me on an ice flow and let me float off.

20. Worrying about Alzheimers is like paying a debt you may have never owed. So... no.