Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are you going to get the Jackson Ampworks Tube Bass Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwx014, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Heck Yes!

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. Yes, If I can get that much money.

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Maybee.

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. No.

38 vote(s)
    67.9%
  1. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Well are you? I want to. :bassist:

2. I voted no, but as I know nothing about it, I should have voted 'maybe'. I like tube tone, but I've been leaning towards clean, simple & easy to use/maintain, but I'll probably swing in the other direction long about springtime. :) Will you buy me one?

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    If someone gives me the money and it's specifically for an amp, yes.

4. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Sorry. I don't even have enough money to buy myself one. :crying:

5. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Yea i WILL buy one. It's gonna sound too good to pass up.

6. Just looked at their prices; $3,000 for a 19- that's NINETEEN- watt guitar amp. Not saying it's not worth it, but no. Kinda reminds me of the letter F in the word 'way'.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There ain't no F in way.

Somebody had to say it.

8. You must have been out, Munji. ;)

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I think I'll pass.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Oh, OK . . . that being said and all . . . . still no f-ing way.

11. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i would get it 1) if i had unlimited gobs of money and 2) if i hadn't just bought a new one.

12. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005

that's the spirit . . .

if this amp meets Brad's goals, there is not a bassist whose tone could not benefit from having this monster in his/her arsenal (even Tom Bowlus with his massive bass gear warehouse is interested).

why are some bass players so afraid of possibly upgrading their amplification? Trust me it doesn't hurt--to be completely honest, it actually feels quite good and can make you a better player. They will pay a fortune on a bass (or in Eric's case, judging from his profile, buy three versions of the same bass), but act like it is ridiculous to pay 3 grand for a head. Brad's amp will be designed with tone and responsiveness as the only priorities and will appeal to all bass players who share in this pursuit and are willing to pay the premium that this high level of workmanship and performance commands.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    For me, there is a law of diminishing returns. I can spend thousands on a SMALL difference in upgraded tone, but for cover gigs in clubs, its not for me, doesn't make sense. My guitarist does that right now, he pains every time chicks start dancing on stage because they might bump one of his $3500 PRS guitars sitting on stands. Me, I bring a used Stingray 5. I refuse not to enjoy the splendor of the ladies shaking it near my person . . . ;) There's another dude locally that plays barroom covers, and carries his Fodera Emperor with him on those gigs, and sweats every moment of it.

Seriously, though, as for my amplification its all stage-monitoring for me. My amp has no bearing on what the audience hears through the PA, so why spend $3000 on it, when I can be perfectly happy for around $1000. I pride myself on my voice that is in my hands and my sense of time and groove. THAT is where I personally focus my efforts. So long as my stage amp has plenty of headroom and is "satisfying enough", any extra expense in that regard is a waste . . . FOR ME.

And as for three versions of the same bass, try it sometime. One will most definitely jump out and speak to you as "the one" that is heads above the rest . . .

14. Mr Jackson: Well worded. I probably wouldn't have said diddly had I expected someone to dispute my opinion. I imagine your amp is quite remarkable, & worth the price to one who would notice the difference(between say my high-end-of-my-world Eden CXC-110 :rolleyes: & yours). Call it a weak stab at humor.

Cabcreaser: I have nothing against upgrading, this is just way out of my league. My aforementioned Eden rig is an enormous improvement(IMO)over the Hartke combo it replaced. I was honestly leery of going 'hi-fi', if that's the proper term, but hearing my mistakes/poor technique is a great help in correcting it(duh).

EricM: Yup.

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I wish more guitarists would buy 19 watt amps. That is all they really need. They buy 50W or 100W that they cannot set past 1 without being insanely loud, but they want that tube amp cranked sound :rollno:

16. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    sorry bassteban, my comments about upgrading were more directed at Eric (I felt his posts were too hostile in tone). Not very many players are able and willing to spend that kind of bread on an amp--that is totally understandable. It is when someone acts like the cost is ridiculous without even trying the amp that is absurd.

Yes, Eric, every bass sounds different perhaps you missed the point of bringing up that you have three stingrays. Obviously there is a difference in the three basses and yes your fingers and time are what define you as a player, but the amp also plays a part (you might be surprised just how different each of those basses sounds through different amps--however, your collection of three stingrays could also be viewed in relation to the concept of diminishing returns so be careful using that one).

If simple stage monitoring is all you need, don't bother reading or posting about an amp designed to do much more. Regarding drunk chicks and bar dangers, the Jackson Amp will probably be far more rugged than most amps on the market though no amps are immune to complete stupidity--though I would never let those circumstances determine what I ultimately want out of a bass amp.

I am excited to see an amp builder willing to respond to posts on a forum and I hate to see somebody, like Eric,who is obviously content with his setup speak to the builder in such a fashion. So enjoy your Eden and watch out for drunk chicks and let those who notice the difference in high quality tube gear eagerly await what should be an amazing new contribution to the bass amplification market.

17. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Yes, but with a very few exceptions (notably, transformers) that you have made to spec, you are using common, off the shelf parts. So, if Kia and Ferrari were forced to use the same parts to build their cars, would this argument, and justification for cost still apply? C'mon . . . . the price difference between something like an orange drop cap and a ceramic disk isn't all that much, and let's face it, tube amps are not historically that complex, nor do yours sould to be, with the limited tube count. I appreciate that you are building for outstanding sound, but methinks that the margins are immense, and personally, would not put out that much $$$ for something with such a limited build cost . . . . . its the principle of the thing . . . . . .

- Tim

18. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks

Nov 19, 2005
    Keller, TX
    President: Jackson Ampworks

Thanks for your kindness cabcreaser! :D

19. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Is there a link where I can find out more about this head?

20. :eyebrow: Look one post up. :D