1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are you good? What kind of good are you?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Surprise Panda!, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Hi,

I was just wondering what you consider yourself. Are you "solo" good? Or are you "groove" good? Maybe both? I think both are great and strive to be a "groove" good player.

Or are you locked a basement with triple sound proofing, thousands of dollars in custom and pro gear, but never seen a stage or audience good? (thanks Honk'n :D)

2. You forgot one other choice, locked in your basement with triple sound proofing, thousands of dollars in custom and pro gear, but never seen a stage or audience good. :D:D

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  3. It depends on what you compare me to but I consider myself to be above average, a little bit. I'm no Victor Wooten or Adam Nitti but who is? I have some chops. I can do a little solo stuff from my lead guitarist background and I have some groove in me. I know for a fact that there are some TB'ers out there that can flat out school me in some soloing though. My weakness is that I'm a lazy player. I like to stay home (lower 5 frets) and use open notes so my hand doesn't have to move much but I know the fret board and use all of it when I need to. My strengths are that I can play with anyone and I learn quickly and on the fly. The guitarists and keyboard players in my church, including my wife, hate me because I don't use chord charts or lead sheets.

4. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    I tend to be a good groover, but everyone tells me that I better at soloing.:eyebrow: I guess I sound better than I think I am.:smug: I usually take and mash different styles of music (like playing a dark Justin Chancellor style part and tweaking it to a happy Jack Johnson-style song). I guess my solos are more inventive than anything and I just have to be able to kick my gui****s rear in every respect.:D

5. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    No.

6. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    Solidly mediocre

7. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I can't say, how about you tell me?

8. I make Wooten look like child's play.

9. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    The last one . . . only with not as much gear.

Damn . . . I need to go shopping :atoz:

10. mgriffith

mgriffith

Aug 8, 2008
    I am the Ringo of our band.

I offer a lot of humor (some of it intentional, too!), and keep the beat going, but I am not flashy.

I used to be about flash and speed, but I m just now getting back into playing and am rustier than a nail left outside for 15 years.

11. never really been in a band. had plenty of jam sessions though. im good enough to be in a band, but people with my music taste are few and far between, especially drummers which are hard to come by to begin with

12. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Ringo is a good comparison. Solid and steady, supporting the rest of the band. I'll never be as good as most of you guys, but my band members like playing with me. I don't need to be the center of attention, and I like playing and performing, and it shows.

Also - I make every rehearsal and learn my parts quickly and reliably - this seems to be a valued feature, and not in the other players I have replaced.

13. i would say im good all around, mostly due to my jazz training (knowledge of music theory). man, knowing some scales can do wonders

14. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    Showing up is a big deal...

15. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    People are starting to take notice that I can play. I'm hearing positive comments more often, getting kudos quite a bit from the band I'm in. I'm a pocket player. Fingerstyle mostly, but I use a pick on a few songs. I think I do best playing pretty ballads. I'm utilizing the entire fretboard more where appropriate. Actually, I'm finding that the higher positions, especially on the E and A strings, are a great place to be. Good, smooth tone up there IMO. So I've been spending a lot of time lately playing from about the 4th to 13th frets.

I don't play solos. As close as I get to that is when the bass does an important or prominent passage in a song.

16. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I keep gettin' the calls where I'm at even if I'm "Old & Fugly"

17. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'm a hack.

18. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    I suck, but still love the bass guitar. :D

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  19. EliasR