1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Are you good?"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by TheEndIsNYE, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Mharris

Mharris

Sep 25, 2007
    Missoula Montana
    +1

Good what?

Good n' groovy? Good listener? Good at looking awkward on stage?

When a person asks a question like "are you good?", they are usually advertising their ignorance regarding music.

2. People seem to think so as I get more unsolicited complements that I'd expect...but I know better.

There are just way too many players out there who would drink my milkshake for me to consider myself anything but average.

3. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    If I ever get good at playing bass and someone asks me if I am good I will say, "Yes."

4. Morkolo

Morkolo

Aug 11, 2003
    Newfoundland
    I say no I'm not, some people think I am but I'd rather not take compliments seriously and get a big head. I've seen it with other guys and it's ugly.

5. lsabina

lsabina

Sep 3, 2008
    WNY
    I usually look at whoever asks and say, "I'm great." And I leave it at that.
    Another good response i: "I'm not the best, but I'm in the top two."
    People who don't know me don't know how to respond or react, while people who do know me have a chuckle with me over my assumed arrogance.

6. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    I usually say " are you good" or " i can play a little"

7. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    I don't know but I try to be better each day.

8. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    sometimes i like to throw out "well i don't suck i'll tell ya that much" LOL

9. I say "I'M F%&@#ING AWESOME!".

They realise its a bit of a dumb question. :D

10. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    If someone asks you if you are good you say YES.

(I'm paraphrasing Ghostbusters)

11. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    Or an alternative reply could be 'Well, I'm better than Victor Wooten, and er.. I'm probably better than you.'

12. lidesnowi

lidesnowi

Jan 29, 2011
    I have noticed that
    many musicians around me thinks I'm a very competent musician, unfortunately I have to disagree with them, I have a lot of hard work in front of me before I'm satisfied, but I do not suck though!

But just for fun, I usually say I'm the best bass player ever, I do not take these things seriously!
    Music is not about being good, it's about make people FEEL good!

13. I say I'm better than some and not as good as others.

I think that is pretty much true for everyone whether they like it or not.

14. "No, Im Chaotic Neutral".

My nerd friends usually get a laugh out of that one.

15. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    No, I'm ****

16. If it's another musician or someone I think might be a music aficionado, I'll say "I can hang". Otherwise my standard answer is "Yep". Sometimes, depending on the person asking, I'll say "Hell yeah!!!" and give them that "what are you, stupid?" look...it either gets a good laugh, or leaves them wondering if I'm being sarcastic, or just a complete @ss... :)

17. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Yep, tends to induce the "tumbleweed effect" doesn't it? I gave up on trying to answer this rhetorical nonsense beyond a cursory "sure" or "yeah" a long time ago. The average layperson knows not what they say. :meh:

18. I usually say, "I'm just here to play bass lines."

19. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    I am ok with my playing skill for how long I've been playing. I continue to practice. I am confident enough in all my ability. The problem is when you're compared to another bassist or another musician. Today someone asked me if I was better than another person I know, and I couldn't say yes or no. I like to be modest though. Never want to raise someone's expectations too high.

20. +1 Like the man said, "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up". My usual answer is "Good compared to what?"