1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Are you good?"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by TheEndIsNYE, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    The last time I was asked that, I said "Well, I'm booked until next year. So, I'm either really good or I work with a bunch of idiots." We had a good laugh.

But you're right; "good" is comparative.

2. niels125

niels125

Aug 11, 2011
    I have the same problem:)

I can play songs and know scales and some other theorie but I can't tell how good I am:)
    It's kinda hard when searching for a band and they all ask "good bassist", or bassist with "skills"

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Depends on whose asking. Other musicians tell me I'm good, and continue to hire me a lot. That at least makes me feel good about my playing. But, if they asked me if I was good I'd just say, "I do ok," and would follow that up with explaining what I think I need to work on. For non-musicians I usually say something like, "Eh, just a normal player, I guess," or, "I always aspire to be good." Whenever a non-musican praises anything I've played I just say, "Thanks," and that's about it. Jeez, the other night I had a beginner bass player come up and say that when he gets all learned-up he wants to play like me. All I could do was smile and say, "Thanks, pal, I appreciate that, but I'm no one to copy, really." My wife says I should be proud of my ability, but I just can't do it. I don't feel so great, ya know?

4. 000laius

000laius

Jan 28, 2012
    Ya'know I agree because being 'good' is such a relative thing. A total beginner can be good in a month compared to when he first began. The same can be applied to an experienced player.

I also have never liked the idea of talking your self down but in the same no one likes mr. Ego.

In my case, all I say is 'depends on who you ask.' and leave it at that. Or just day something that will go over their head or comedic like 'my mommy says I'm good'

5. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    I always say, "I can get better".

6. That's a good answer -- it's good to be humble in this business.

7. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Kind of an odd question for someone to ask, really. In 40+ years of playing, no one has ever asked me, in causal conversation where they aren't hearing me play, if I'm good at it.

8. Generally, I deny playing an instrument to avoid such question. Makes it awkward since I work in a music store though...

9. I'm not as good as I'd like to be....
    I like that, it answers the question without answering the question.

10. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    "I'm competent, I guess. No one has ever asked for their money back."

11. I such a situation I'd either say:

a) I'm working at it.
    b) Listen to my playing and decide for yourself (and thinking "have some balls to decide for yourself, dude").
    c) Who cares? I love music/ the bass, and that's what matters.

12. fishdreams

fishdreams Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification and and Martin Keith Guitars
    "I have no idea. You tell me"

13. I always say "That is subjective. I have fun playing and hold my own in the mix".

14. I just let my playing do the talking.....

15. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Dec 3, 2011
    I've finally come to a response when people ask me this. "Depends on what you define as good."

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Because I'm not? I'm good enough for what I do but, compared to Nathan, I fairly suck.

17. I prefer to say "I'm ok..." - acknowledgement of some skill without being bigheaded because I've heard loads of people on various recordings who piss all over my skill...

18. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    honestly, sometimes i'm good. other times i suck!

the proof is on the play-back source. i can also honestly say that when i start playing i get better as i warm up! ;):bassist:

19. Same here. Plus there are some days where I'm just not "musical", so to speak. On those days, I often find it hard to follow even simple rhythms... but on other days, I almost excel at improvising without losing the groove... it's pretty weird.

20. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I know I suck... but having said that, I know how to keep a beat which is very important, I know how to fake it, and I know how to follow the singer and the drummer... I let my amp do all the work not my fingers. And I'm in two bands, country and classic rock. Opps, I forgot, we don't ask for money and hardly have any gigs.