Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are you guys using different set for J and P´s

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Squice, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Just wondering if you guys prefered different strings for you J than your P´s.
    I have been playing Status J bass for years, I have been using Dr strings, used to have High beams, but now i have changed to Lo-Rider´s and simply love them. love the added tension they have. But recently i got by self a P-bass and now it´s time to buy new strings. What i´m trying get out of this thread is cutting down the trial/error thing by trying alot of strings to find out what i like. like you all know the Bass strings don´t come cheap. So what are you guys using on your P´s. I know this all comes down to personal preferences, so maby it´s better to ask those of you who are using Dr´s on your J-basses what set you prefer on you P-bass.?

best regards..

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB

I tend to like flats on my Precisions. It just sounds so right :D Otherwise I will use Fender 7250's or D'Addario XL's on the Precision when I want rounds.

Dan

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The traditional route is flats on the P, rounds on the J, but I'll tell you, I love a good P with a nice bright set of rounds on it, and a J sounds awesome with flats. Having said that, my P has flats and my J has rounds ;)

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I tend to use DRs on a Jazz and Slinkys on the Ps, though I just threw some beams on my '78P and it feels pretty nice.

5. I´m really wanting to try out flats on my P.
    Does DR make flats?
    My other options are Dean Markley/Blue Steel, D´addario and Fender as i remember, Don´t know wich of them has flats.

Any favours among these brands?

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Fender, D'Addario, and Dean Markley all make flats. Other brands to try are SIT, Lakland, Labella, and Thomastik Infeld. There are others as well.

:bassist: Dan

7. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I use Pressurewounds for my P and Flatwounds for my J, it just sounds perfect to my ears