1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are you happier owning only one bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by black.rose1402, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Happy with one bass??

About as happy I would be with one testicle :D

2. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    If you have gigs how can you go with only one bass ? In my bass playing career since 1979. twice someone knock my bass over and broke off the g string tuner .I have broken strings many times I play hard. Once the bridge saddle kept getting lower till it bottomed out.what if you need work done and it sits at the shop for 2 weeks or more ..you always need at least 2 IMHO.

3. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    An ex-girlfriend once said I was "half nuts". I wonder if THAT'S what she meant? :wacky:

4. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    I had 5 and sold one this week, and feel much better. It's not the number that made me happier, though. The 5th one simply served no purpose for me, so I didn't like having it around. So I don't think it is the number that matters, but whether the ones you have serve some purpose. I must add that I believe that 'purpose' can be very subjective. It doesn't have to mean, 'a useful tool.'. That's not the way I look at my basses, but others can if they want.

5. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Not a single 24 hour period goes by that I'm not sitting, playing and thoroughly enjoying the fug out of one of my basses and then think to myself "This bass is really all I need, time to just purge the collection and thoroughly immerse myself into 1 instrument"

I then look over at the the basses I've collected over many years and ask myself "OK, which one(s) to get rid of first? .... maybe the 1988 Mapleglo Ric? ... No, definitely not that one. OK, maybe the FSR Jazz bass with the maple fretboard? No, I couldn't get rid of that one, so maybe the FSR with the rosewood fretboard? .... No, I might want to gig that next, so ...maybe the Stingray? .... No, I NEED that one! ... Maybe I'll just go make a sandwich instead :thumbsup:

Then I just go back to playing whatever is in my hands at the moment and let the "purge" thought go out the window ... I am certain I am not alone here on TB thinking these thoughts.

I look at it this way .... Like many of us here on TB (I didn't say ALL, I said many) we take great pride in our instruments .. even to the point of considering them works of art in our own way. Then I wonder if artists, art collectors say, "I really only need this one painting, maybe I'll purge all my other paintings, maybe I'll be happier with just one ... so which piece of art do I get rid of first? ... To me the concept of an art collector being happier with one piece of art as opposed to a collection of different pieces doesn't seem to make sense.

So that's my take on it .... Would I be happier with just one bass? Yes, I "could" be .... but on the other hand I am quite happy with all of my basses.

Viva la difference!

Doctor Intrepid likes this.
  6. zoonose

zoonose

Apr 4, 2005
    Alexandria, LA
    I only have one, so I go with one... and if it needs work/adjustment/maintenance, I'm the one doing it.

7. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    At a gig?

8. zoonose

zoonose

Apr 4, 2005
    Alexandria, LA
    No, not at a gig... there's lots of time to do that stuff between gigs. More to your point, though(probably)- if something traumatic happened AT a gig, that might be problematic, though I've never managed to break a string while playing. Regardless, it isn't going to be in the shop, anyway. TBH, I'd probably have a backup if it was an option, but it isn't right now. I just have to take care of my stuff.

BK bassist likes this.
  9. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I get it. I used to own 3 bass guitars and an upright and I had to sell off the ones that weren't getting used because I needed money a few years back. I miss the 2 I sold, but the one MIA Fender PJ I kept seems to get every job done I need it to unless I need my upright. These days I have more trouble deciding which cabinet to bring. That being said I do wish I had a 5 string and a fretless (maybe a fretless 5 to cover both bases).

10. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Yes, from about 1972 - 1977
    I think 5 years is about the max for many of us.

The best part is they don't take up much room, need very little maintenance, no insurance or inspections, and they can often be sold for the same or more than the purchase priced.

11. Frndmoretti

Frndmoretti

Jun 17, 2017
    Brazil
    I wish I had at least a jazz bass to pair uo with the P

And one with a mudbucker on a precsionp pickup position.

But I can't even afford to fix the neck on my P Bass that has a broken truss rod and crazy high action, so I'll keep playing the one bass and dragging the cheap and crappy 20 dollar so-bad-it's-kinda-good jazz knock-off my friend left with me as a backup.

12. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    I'm happier owning 30 basses. Obviously I enjoy collecting them as well as playing them.

13. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    I have owned a few basses over the years. But at the moment i own:

Spector Rebop (4 string)
    OLP fretless- been modded (4 string)
    Flea Modulus (4 string)
    cheap japanese p bass copy- been modded (4 string)

and i have a Sire v7 (4 string) on the way as I type this..

I honestly feel that if I can get a better neck for my fretless I have all I will ever need. The only bass I seriously consider selling every couple of months is my rebop- as it really does get the least amount of play time. But everytime i thinkabout it i feel like i wouldn't get enough money to justify not having it anymore. oh well.. so it goes. Do I? Dont I?

14. Karlson541

Karlson541 Banned

Jun 9, 2018
    Yes and no.

I tend to bond with just one specific bass and prefer to dedicate myself to just playing that so I really get to know it and feel at home on it, on the other hand I do find myself worrying from time to time that it might break.
    So ultimately I would own 2 of the exact same basses.
    Also I'd actually really would like to have a fretless and a Bass VI.

zoonose likes this.
  15. tonequixote

tonequixote

Feb 6, 2004
    Maine
    When I was younger one bass was all I had. I was happy. My goal is to return to that status in life. There are so many benefits to be gained from weight loss.

16. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Whelp things have changed.
    I realized that my Caprice could do everything my Squier P could and more .
    Then I felt bad about always playing my husbands Sire V3-5 string .After all, it was the birthday present that he asked for.
    That Sire made me realize that I truly needed a good 5 string active / passive Jazz .
    I went out and found one that felt just right.
    So now I’m back down to 2. Yes I am happier owning one 4 string and one 5 string.
    BCA126DE-FC1F-4A3B-A4AD-0F986E24911E.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Ellery likes this.
  17. Sad to hear that the CV P is gone, but congrats on the new addition.

lowdownthump likes this.
  18. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    That was a great bass. I’m moving cross country and 1 had to go. As much I liked the CV Precision, it wasn’t as versatile as the Caprice . And the Caprice neck and weight made it the keeper. I play faster and cleaner on the Caprice.

19. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1 ... Great post

Ellery likes this.
  20. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I hope to never again know what it's like to own only one bass. But that's just me. More power to you. :D

Ellery likes this.