1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Are you happy with your Helix HX Stomp cab sims?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Askia, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Askia

Askia

Feb 24, 2006
    Hello everyone!
    I'm using an HX Stomp. My problem is,that I haven't found a stock bass cab sim that I liked. Maybe I have a dream sound in my head, but I am looking for a sound that has definition, not boomy lows, defined mids, and nice bright, but not glassy highs. I haven't found this in the stock cabs... ampeg 4x10 too v-shaped, ampeg 8x10 too dark, mesa 6x10 too nasal, etc... all of them lacks something or just get lost in the army of microphones... Then came the idea to check the guitar cabs. I have a small 1x8 peavey practice combo which has a sound I really like, so I tried the 1x8 guitar cab, and it was the best so far! With a little low and high cut, a nice balanced sound. Then I went further and the jazz rivet 2x12 was also very good,more defined sound,a little wierd highs.
    So how do you deal with the cabs? The mics,and other parameters?
    I might use the amp sims only, and use the cab sim only when I use distortion..
    So many options, it's hard to find a final solution.

2. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    the stock cabs are definitely fine but i find harder to dial in than just using these free IRs Seacow Cabs Impulses

the micing is all dialed in already for you. great ampeg 8x10, darkglass 4x10, etc

3. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I was not impressed with amp/cab simulation on Line 6 devices either.

I think it's a matter of taste.

Also it depends which style of music you play.

I ended up not using any amp/cab sims and now happy with avalon u5 + power amp + real cab. :)

Diegombass likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021