Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are you happy with your P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Feb 20, 2005.

My P-Bass

Poll closed Feb 27, 2005.
  1. I love it just the wayyyy it are.

113 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. Needs a J-pickup. Doesn't sound good enough/fit in.

35 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Needs a heavier bridge.

20 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. Needs a skinnier neck.

35 vote(s)
    13.9%
  5. Wish it was active.

11 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. Too heavy!

13 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. Carrots!

63 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Or do you wish it had something different?

Multiple choices allowed.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I only have a Squier P (don't flame!) and it's pretty nice for a bass under $200. I with the strings were closer together however.

What are some typical and easy upgrades for a P-bass (especially a Squier)?

3. I would say the most common upgrades are new pickups and a new bridge. Mabye the tuners also. But it really depends what you want on YOUR bass.

Oh yeah to answer the poll, I am completely happy with Lakland Bob Glaub/ P-Bass. I would not change a thing.

4. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I was happy with it, but then I started to really get into bass playing last year (only about my 20th year of playing) and I changed the pups to Barts, bridge to a BadAss 2, put in an Aguilar pre-amp, Hipshot Tuners, New Pickguard, new knobs.
    basically everything but the body and neck. Now it sounds incredible. :bassist:

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I own 2 basses, both P's.

MIM Fender P w/ TI Jazz Flats EADG

Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub w/ D'addario Chromes BEAD

To me the P is my holy grail. My first 3 basses were Ibanez (slim necks) and I struggled with extreme fretting hand pain and thin tone. It got to the point where I got so fed up and just wanted to press the "reset button" so I traded my SRX705 in for what I perceived as the most basic bass, a MIM P. The hand pain went away almost immediately and hasn't come back since. I also enjoyed the simplicity of the passive system. I think the eq should be left on the head. I was so impressed that I decided to upgrade to the Bob Glaub (modeled after a '64 Fender P) with an even wider neck.

It was around the time I got the Glaub that I made the transition from 100% fingerstyle to fulltime picker for reasons of tendonitis and flow. I tried picking with my Ibanez but the tone was always waaay too thin. With the Glaub it sounds damn good :cool: .

In conclusion, the P saved my relationship with the instrument at a time when I was considering giving up for good. MY MUSIC HAS SOUL NOW!!!!! Not just the sound but in my heart too. :hyper:

BTW, I play metal and classic rock. Don't let anybody tell you that a P w/ flats is only suitable for jazz and R&B.

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The only P in my house is the Squier that I got for my son. He lost interest in it, so now it is my don't-want-to-risk-my-good-basses bass.

It already had the J bridge p'up. I switched the bridge for a BA II already. The neck profile was already more J-ish than P-ish. The p'ups sound good enough. I think I'll leave it as-is for now.

7. I love my P. It's a 2000 MIM, my first bass. I put some QuarterPounders in the thing and dropped on a Badass II because my old bridge was messed up. It's midnight wine and I love the neck on it.

8. mine needs a new bridge and to have the electronics reconnected, don't ever leave your bass in your guitarists house for extended periods of time :meh:

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The only gripe I have with my MIA P-bass is that the neck outweighs the body by a good amount, causing neck dive, but its nothing I can't live with.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That's nothing a nice wide strap wouldn't solve :)

I own 4 p-basses
    1)p-bass special, walnut and stock
    2)Sting p, it is what it is
    3) 99 MIM p-bass, paid $237 bucks used in pristine condition. Now has Fralin pups
    4)02 MIM p-bass w/SBP3 pups

Now I like em all!

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I love my '72 P, but my Cort P needs a heavier bridge & a FATTER neck. I put some Fender original 62 P pickups in, and now it sounds pretty good (needs more sustain though.)

12. I don't think I'll ever sell mine. If I ever do sell it, it would be to get a p-bass older than a 73'

13. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I love mine the way it is. Mine came with the J-pickup. I thought about changing the pickups, but after reading some reviews here I decided to leave it as is.
    If I ever do decide to change them it wont be that hard. Fender P-Bass are as easy as working on a Telecaster. My Truibute G&L on the other hand has so many wires for such a small space I'd wind up messing something up.

14. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I got rid of my much loved P-Bass with P and J EMG's after I lost the feeling in a couple of the fingers of my left hand. Switched to an Ibanez and wore splints for many years after. Now I'm playing a Reverend that feels like a great Fender neck and doesn't kill my shoulder. My de-fretted 78 P-Bass on the other hand is a dream, great neck and great weight. That one I'll keep forever.

15. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    It's a P bass. I love it stock.

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    "Leave 'em the way they are" is my opinion these days. I've always loved the Precision's sound. Although my MIA P-Bass has an aftermarket pickup, it's a pickup with a vintage-type of tone. On my particular bass, it's stock pickup was a little weird-sounding in the low end. But I've tried other MIA P-basses at G.C that sounded fine to my ears.

In the 80's I modded a few of my Jazz and Precision basses. It was a cost-effective way to get a more hi-fi sounding bass. Back then a decent used P-Bass could be found for $250.00. Spend another $200.00 for a DiMarzio P pickup, a Badass-II, Schaller tuning gears, and Straplocks, and you were set.

We didn't have all the choices available back then, especially in my area. It was mainly Fender or Rickenbacker. - Ahhh, the good ol' days :D ! If you wanted a Spector, it was a handmade US model......I just didn't have the cash! :crying: ;) .

Now that I own a few basses with active electronics that have the modern-type tone, I plan on converting my Fenders back to their original configuration.

- Art

17. Extremely happy with it. Just got it last week.
    [​IMG]

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Wait, is that a straight Fender? It can't be...

You still owe me a cat sticker, you booger.

19. Oh man, the cat stickers!

Yep, it's a real Fender. 62 American Vintage Reissue, made in 1989.
    [​IMG]

20. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My sweet 79 is perfect just the way it is. I wish I had the original bridge, but the B/A II is pretty hip. The neck is. . . unlike any P I have ever played. It is as thin as a thin jazz and really easy to play. Here, see for yourself: