Are you happy with your P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Feb 20, 2005.

My P-Bass

Poll closed Feb 27, 2005.
  1. I love it just the wayyyy it are.

113 vote(s)
  2. Needs a J-pickup. Doesn't sound good enough/fit in.

35 vote(s)
  3. Needs a heavier bridge.

20 vote(s)
  4. Needs a skinnier neck.

35 vote(s)
  5. Wish it was active.

11 vote(s)
  6. Too heavy!

13 vote(s)
  7. Carrots!

63 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Or do you wish it had something different?

Multiple choices allowed.
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I only have a Squier P (don't flame!) and it's pretty nice for a bass under $200. I with the strings were closer together however.

What are some typical and easy upgrades for a P-bass (especially a Squier)?
  3. I would say the most common upgrades are new pickups and a new bridge. Mabye the tuners also. But it really depends what you want on YOUR bass.

Oh yeah to answer the poll, I am completely happy with Lakland Bob Glaub/ P-Bass. I would not change a thing.
  4. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I was happy with it, but then I started to really get into bass playing last year (only about my 20th year of playing) and I changed the pups to Barts, bridge to a BadAss 2, put in an Aguilar pre-amp, Hipshot Tuners, New Pickguard, new knobs.
    basically everything but the body and neck. Now it sounds incredible. :bassist:
  5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I own 2 basses, both P's.

MIM Fender P w/ TI Jazz flats EADG

Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub w/ D'addario Chromes BEAD

To me the P is my holy grail. My first 3 basses were Ibanez (slim necks) and I struggled with extreme fretting hand pain and thin tone. It got to the point where I got so fed up and just wanted to press the "reset button" so I traded my SRX705 in for what I perceived as the most basic bass, a MIM P. The hand pain went away almost immediately and hasn't come back since. I also enjoyed the simplicity of the passive system. I think the eq should be left on the head. I was so impressed that I decided to upgrade to the Bob Glaub (modeled after a '64 Fender P) with an even wider neck.

It was around the time I got the Glaub that I made the transition from 100% fingerstyle to fulltime picker for reasons of tendonitis and flow. I tried picking with my Ibanez but the tone was always waaay too thin. With the Glaub it sounds damn good :cool: .

In conclusion, the P saved my relationship with the instrument at a time when I was considering giving up for good. MY MUSIC HAS SOUL NOW!!!!! Not just the sound but in my heart too. :hyper:

BTW, I play metal and classic rock. Don't let anybody tell you that a P w/ flats is only suitable for jazz and R&B.
  6. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The only P in my house is the Squier that I got for my son. He lost interest in it, so now it is my don't-want-to-risk-my-good-basses bass.

It already had the J bridge p'up. I switched the bridge for a BA II already. The neck profile was already more J-ish than P-ish. The p'ups sound good enough. I think I'll leave it as-is for now.
  7. I love my P. It's a 2000 MIM, my first bass. I put some QuarterPounders in the thing and dropped on a Badass II because my old bridge was messed up. It's midnight wine and I love the neck on it.
  8. mine needs a new bridge and to have the electronics reconnected, don't ever leave your bass in your guitarists house for extended periods of time :meh:
  9. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The only gripe I have with my MIA P-bass is that the neck outweighs the body by a good amount, causing neck dive, but its nothing I can't live with.
  10. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That's nothing a nice wide strap wouldn't solve :)

I own 4 p-basses
    1)p-bass special, walnut and stock
    2)Sting p, it is what it is
    3) 99 MIM p-bass, paid $237 bucks used in pristine condition. Now has Fralin pups
    4)02 MIM p-bass w/SBP3 pups

Now I like em all!
  11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I love my '72 P, but my Cort P needs a heavier bridge & a FATTER neck. I put some Fender original 62 P pickups in, and now it sounds pretty good (needs more sustain though.)
  12. I don't think I'll ever sell mine. If I ever do sell it, it would be to get a p-bass older than a 73'
  13. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I love mine the way it is. Mine came with the J-pickup. I thought about changing the pickups, but after reading some reviews here I decided to leave it as is.
    If I ever do decide to change them it wont be that hard. Fender P-Bass are as easy as working on a Telecaster. My Truibute G&L on the other hand has so many wires for such a small space I'd wind up messing something up.
  14. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I got rid of my much loved P-Bass with P and J EMG's after I lost the feeling in a couple of the fingers of my left hand. Switched to an Ibanez and wore splints for many years after. Now I'm playing a Reverend that feels like a great Fender neck and doesn't kill my shoulder. My de-fretted 78 P-Bass on the other hand is a dream, great neck and great weight. That one I'll keep forever.
  15. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    It's a P bass. I love it stock.
  16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    "Leave 'em the way they are" is my opinion these days. I've always loved the Precision's sound. Although my MIA P-Bass has an aftermarket pickup, it's a pickup with a vintage-type of tone. On my particular bass, it's stock pickup was a little weird-sounding in the low end. But I've tried other MIA P-basses at G.C that sounded fine to my ears.

In the 80's I modded a few of my Jazz and Precision basses. It was a cost-effective way to get a more hi-fi sounding bass. Back then a decent used P-Bass could be found for $250.00. Spend another $200.00 for a DiMarzio P pickup, a Badass-II, Schaller tuning gears, and Straplocks, and you were set.

We didn't have all the choices available back then, especially in my area. It was mainly Fender or Rickenbacker. - Ahhh, the good ol' days :D ! If you wanted a Spector, it was a handmade US model......I just didn't have the cash! :crying: ;) .

Now that I own a few basses with active electronics that have the modern-type tone, I plan on converting my Fenders back to their original configuration.

- Art
  17. Extremely happy with it. Just got it last week.
  18. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Wait, is that a straight Fender? It can't be...

You still owe me a cat sticker, you booger.
  19. Oh man, the cat stickers!

Yep, it's a real Fender. 62 American Vintage Reissue, made in 1989.
  20. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My sweet 79 is perfect just the way it is. I wish I had the original bridge, but the B/A II is pretty hip. The neck is. . . unlike any P I have ever played. It is as thin as a thin jazz and really easy to play. Here, see for yourself: