Are you in bass nirvana?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Herkimer, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Herkimer

Dec 10, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    I've been reading these bass postings for years... Everyone is always seeking newer and better basses. Few seem satisfied with what they have. I have the ultimate "keeper" that has stopped that quest.

It's a 2002 Spector NS5CRFM. Since I bought it, I've stopped looking at bass guitars.

Does anyone else have "that bass" that truly satisfies their quest? I'm curious who else is in bass nivana. Indicate your style and bass. I play that Spector NS5CRFM in an alternative rock band.

(BtW - I've had my Spector for two years and I haven't ventured into a music store and strummed a bass in that whole time.)
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    While I probably will not stop seeking 'new' basses, (not that I'm searching for any Holy Grail mind you, I just like 'em!), I probably will keep the ones currently in my stable for the duration. When all is said and done, at the end of the day, my P-Bass satisfies my ideas of how a bass should sound and I can't see myself ever parting with it.

3. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Why yes thanks for asking, I am finally happy with a bass. Though I would love to find a fretless zackly like this one.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm with rllefebv. I don't think I'll ever stop searching for other basses, but at the end of the day, a simple P bass would do me just fine. It's the ground before and after the end of the day that keeps things interesting.

Oh, though if I had a Roscoe SKB3007, I believe I wouldn't even be on TB anymore. I'd just be locked in my room playing bass. (Best bass I've ever played in my life)

Forgot to mention I do mostly metal, but do dub, funk, rock, drum 'n bass and everything inbetween on my own time and side projects.
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    My Ibanez ATK. I play mostly math metal stuff.... well, i play more to the heavyer stuff. It's just a AWESOME PUNCHY rock bass.....but not the warwick kind.....
  6. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I have one #1 bass, and that would be the Monarch 4. I have eight #2 basses, but they're right up there near the top. Plenty of room for more #2's.
  7. It's not so much the gear, but the new possibilities that entice us. We all may not love our particular bass or amp at the moment, but we do love playing bass. Getting new gear just opens up more doors for us, or helps us close doors that could lead us in the wrong direction.
    My best example is going from a stupid BC Rich Warlock that I started on to a squier p-bass. That was a huge step for me as a player and an artist, since then I have found it much easier to express the same music in much greater ways. The squier had its part in my training and I have parted with it, that's how I look at gear. Once I stop progressing on it, I usually turn in the direction of a tool that will progress me.

Here is the order of basses I've owned:
    Warlock, Squier P, Fretless J, PJ Lyte, Warmoth J
    And the amps in order:
    Crate 15W, Acoustic 140, Marshall 5650, 1969 Traynor YBA-1, Ampeg SVP into a Carvin DCM1500

You have to constantly trade up until you are happy. I have found bliss in my Warmoth J & new rig.
  8. I'd say I'm there, finally. It's not one end all be all bass but I finally got all the basses covered, if you'll excuse the pun.
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A lot of us are seeking new gear, but that doesn't mean we're dissatisfied. I'm extremely satisfied with my collection, but I would still like to expand it. I enjoy having a variety of tonal flavors on my palette; that's why I own basses ranging from an old-school Fender to a new-school Modulus.
  10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am not looking for THE bass any more, I am always looking for something different. If a few is good, more must be better, right??:) I am totally happy with the 3 that I have, especially my Modulus. I still have a few basses on my must have list, but it is just because I want them, not because I am looking to upgrade what I currently have.
  11. there are so many basses that i've never played that not looking would drive me crazy. i'm very, very happy with my bass, but the intrigue! i've never played:

the list goes on for ages.
  12. My basses are an old-school Fender P and a new-school Modulus Q6!!!:cool:
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am very happy. I love my Zon fretless 5, and my Peavey Cirrus 6. All of the other stuff that I have is just gravy.

The only thing that would turn my head is stuff that I want, but don't really need.

A good inexpensive 5 string P bass, that looks and sounds like a P bass.
    A Westone Pantera 5 string, preferably in pearl white.
    A Peavey T-40, preferably black with rosewood.
    A Gibson RD Artist, preferably butterscotch natural.
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  15. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    This past year I stumbled upon a beautiful 1976 Rickenbacker 4001 with a kind of tobacco sunburst, black pickguard, cream binding, traingle inlays, black nameplate with white lettering. After having it tweaked by John Mouradian in Cambridge, MA, I think I can safely say that I have found my dream bass! Unfortunately, it's sitting in a storage space in California while I'm here in Japan...

My main style is improvisational rock. I used this bass in the studio on a couple of jams and the tone is deep and round. I also played it through a Budda Phat Bass distortion pedal - I love bass with distortion! Lemmy, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire - maybe you can tell why I love this bass :)
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    How does that work?
  17. Don't laugh but I've settled on Peavey Millenium 5's.The necks are just right for me,narrow but 35" scale and they have great electronics and hardware.Every time I play them I get a good sound and they are very comfortable.I play mostly blues and blues-rock fingerstyle.In the past two years I've had a Carvin LB 76,Fender Jazz,Peavey Millenium 5 plus,MTD Kingston 5,Yamaha BB 2000 and a Pedulla Rapture.I liked all these basses but the only one that was just right for me was the Peavey.I thought the Pedulla would do it but it was too hard switching between the two,different feel and sound.When I saw a Millenium 5 in the TB.classifieds and he said he would trade for the Pedulla(thanks Pale Ale) I did it and have been happy with my basses ever since.Now when I change basses I don't have to change my style or amp settings and my uncontrolable GAS has subsided quite a bit.
  18. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm almost totally happy with my current group with the one at left at the top of the list. I have one or two left to try (have an affair with), but the GAS virus is in submission. I do cover rock 60's to now.

Of my 10 basses, only 2 are moveable (the fretless Rapture 5 and the Steinberger 5), but I'm in no hurry.

Not moveable are the Elrick singlecut 5, MTD 535, Roscoe NAAM LG 3005, Rob Allen MB-2 5, Sukop 5, Lakland Limited Edition 55-94, and of course '66 J and '75 P (emotional ties).

Left on the list - Elrick NJS 5 fretless and Sadowsky. I'll probably take care of those itches in 2003.
  19. My G+L , and my Warmoth Azz Bass - P body , 1x Single Coil Basslines in bridge and 2x Split Coil basslines in centre and neck positions.

I am officially .....................sorted :cool: :D :)