Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by D.A.R.K., Sep 1, 2003.

1. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    After so many threads on pop, mtv, and mainstream music, i am curious...
    Does anyone run an independent label?
    Book/promote local shows/art openings?
    Host shows/openings in their homes?
    Help fund independent artists?
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I used to voluntarily co-ordinate a large non-profit art gallery in Connecticut, and my wife has purchased several paintings from fellow artist friends of ours. I also chose to go with an independant luthier to build my latest bass. I don't have a problem with dealing with big business companies, but I like to support struggling artists and craftsmen when I can.
  3. I tried starting a record label with a couple friends. It included my punkish band, a friends skacrap band and two rappers that went to our same school. I own some recording equipment so we recorded stuff in my garage. Each group released like two cd's. We would sell them for like a 2-5 bucks with half of the money going to the "label" fund. so we could buy better mics and hopefully a PA. We made like a hundred bucks and then decided to call it quits when both bands broke up. So we threw a party.
    I've thrown some concerts in my garage. We would pass a hat around in the beginning and end of the show to raise some money. Normally got like 30 bucks. But with that many kids and loud music, we were normally shut down in under half an hour. Just enough for one set.
  4. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    wow, so few posts... glad to hear a couple people try.
    labels are pretty serious and consume lots of time and energy....not to mention $ to start...
    i am currently helping launch an indie label, publish and sell my own music, engineer and tour independently.(my living)
    i guess you've got to be willing to be dirt poor
    (my wife is a painter, but teaches middle school so now i have insurance for the first time since i was 18) and deal with some debt (still paying for that last bass and some past medical bills).
    the key is if you hang in there and be positive, you will have opportunities (touring and creating music and art to enjoy and inspire).
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My guitarist's indie label:

We publish our works as well as the works of other people, primarily the other bands listed on the website.

We are always on the lookout for new talent, but most of the local bands are looking for a bigger 'indie' than us.

David devotes a lot of time to the label and marketing the bands that he manages, a lot of hard work considering he works a full time job and is in 4 bands himself.
  6. I am an indie with my own label. It is time consuming. Right now I am taking a break while I get together my second cd. I'm not making any money on this, nor devoting too much time to it. I'd rather write.

I formed my own publishing company mainly because I know that no major label would let me in the front door.

I do fund one independent artist....ME!