Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are you Keepers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Piedro, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    I want to know if you guys are the kind of person to keep your basses and wait for the money to buy new one.. or sell it to upgrade your Rig..

i'm making my University in Popular Music.. so i'm in school, and my only incomes are the gigs that i make... so money is rare you know!

I have a Music Man Stingray 5 With Piezo Pup's that i have for 3 years... and i saw that a LOT of MM players have them for 2 or 3 years, they love it but after a time they sell it.. i just want to know if one of you had these kind of feelings about MM.

The bass that i have GAS is the Daryll Jones 5... I want Passive tone for the Studio and the fact that you can switch to Active will maybe be a good Substitute for my MM...

in the Other Hand, i love my MM, i've learn all i know with this bass... and i love the Color! :bag:
    [​IMG]

She's burnt Apple, a discontinued color kind of Sparkle Cherry Burst... :rollno:

What do you guys think... Is the DJ5 would do the Job of the MM and the job of a good Studio bass?

Should i keep my MM, i love it in Live situation, but in the studio i find it sound too.. Hi-Fi.. too active, maybe cause of the Piezo and when i cut it i have no more treble...
    :help:

2. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    don't be shy... don't be shy!
    maybe my english is not perfect.. sorry for that!

3. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I've owned my '79 Stingray for over 25 years now. I plan to be buried with it. :p

Have Fun!! :bassist:

4. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    maybe the old Stingray don't have the same tone than the new one.. have you tried new in comparaison of yours??

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm a keeper, mostly. I have five (six if you count the one I loaned out and never see) basses, and there's only one or two I might sell. I'd never sell my main two or three basses.

6. It's very easy to replace one of the pots with a push/pull and have the passive option on your Stingray. I have a Warmoth Deluxe 5 with MM and J pu's and an active/passive switch and I use it in passive mode a lot (as long as I don't need the eq, of course).

If you don't know how to do it, a tech wouldn't charge you too much for that kind of job. If you want to try yourself, here's a schematic of the Sadowsky pre, you can just do a similar thing:

http://www.sadowsky.com/media/pdf/wiring_diagrams/pre_with_tone.pdf

In that schematic, the blue and green wires would correspond to the input and output of the active circuitry respectively.

If you or someone out there has a schematic of the Stingray circuit, I'll be happy to have a look for you and let you know exactly how to wire it.

7. camman

camman The first and the second

Oct 25, 2005
    I keep mine....I only have two, and I am buying my third, but I dont think I will ever get rid of them. Nostalgia and memories......

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Definitely an obsessive keeper.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    laklands are great, but if you have had a bass three years, you really know it. Unless you are really unhappy with it, keep it. The grass is always greener until you walk around the pasture and see all the turds. :bag:

10. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I used to be the type that would keep selling what I had to upgrade, but I now have my three dream basses. Anything else I buy, I'm gonna have to save for...

11. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    awesome idea.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm a keeper.

I only recently sold 2 guitars out of my collection, but those have been replaced by basses...and I still feel haunted by those two I let go.

I currently have 5 basses, 3 guitars, 4 amps, 2 PA heads, etc...

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Personally I sold a couple of basses in the past and really regretted doing so. Your choice but that is one fine looking bass.

14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I usually try to buy a replacement ... have them both for a while, then sell off the one I don't like as much. Its too easy to think some other bass will be better, and end up wishing you had the old one back.

15. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I only sell when I need to. I started off with an old samick P bass, and I've sold, traded, and bought my way up to what I have now:

Alembic Series 1
    Warwick thumb NT w/ ebony board, EMG's, and other goodies
    Lakland 55-02D

16. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Thanks Clorenzo.. that's a good idea! And how does your Warmoth sound passive? should be cool..

Good point... I think you guys get me the fear to regret my MM if i sell it.. Thanks!

From the beginnig i can say that i'm a keeper too.. still have my first bass, a LTD b-105 that i've "modify" to become fretless.. still have my first guit** too.. it's cool when you need it.. you have it! but sometimes it can stay in my closet for a while

17. The difference is subtle but it's there, it sounds a little bit smoother and warmer, and it feels as if it's a bit more responsive, as if you could get subtler nuances, I think the technical word is microdynamics :eek:

18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Yep. Just about everything I've ever sold I've regretted later and tried to, or replaced it later. If I don't need the money, why sell it?

19. keeper. all of my old basses are still mine, but i'm always willing to loan them out to friends if they want to try playing.

20. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I'm a keeper too. I've only sold one bass in my entire bass-playing life. It was a Hamer CruiseBass that I regret selling to this very day. Now I'm up to 2 Aria Pro II's, 3 Jazzes, an SX P/J, a Fender GB-41 acoustic, and an SX telecaster g**tar. GASing for a Lakland DJ-4, but trying to hold off and tell the wife that it would be a perfect Christmas present.