Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are You Kidding Me?!?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 8, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  2. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overpriced.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think that is a bad move on Aguilar's part. They have already established themselves as a high-end/high priced amplifier company. This may just loose them business. No way that amp is worth that price. Even a Woods is cheaper. Heck, you can get a Glock rig for that!

4. Or maybe it's a strategy for staying small?

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That is true. If they want to limit themselves that would be one way to go.

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Er...hasn't it been at that price for a long time now? I seem to remember it being around $3000 for the past few months or so, at least.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont know about you guys, but when I want a good price on bass gear, I dont go to Musicians Friend.

Peace
    Nick

8. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    How much did it cost?

And what would you pay for one used nowadays?

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Que?

Peace
    Nick

10. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    You guys now know how it feel to be a bassplayer in Belgium!!

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
  12. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I'm sorry but, even at $2000 it's a bit much. I think I need at least 400 watts for that much. :spit:

13. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I mean how much before the price hike. :)

14. I think the db359 fills a unique gap between SS and Big tube amps. It's 2 rack space size outstanding pre-amp and 200 watts power makes for a pretty unique package. I kinda look at it like an expensive guitar. Sure most people can get the job done with a P Bass but many want and are willing to pay for what they think is better. On one hand, you can muster more than 200 tube watts for about 1/2 the price of a db 359, however, it wouldn't be a db359. If no-one buys them they won't be around for very long.

15. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    At that price I predict that they wont be around for very long.

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It is a tube amp so you could say that it is close to being about as powerful as most 400 Watt amps.

Peace
    Nick

17. I've noticed that they also offer the DB680/DB728 for a mere $798.00 more. At twice the power (and half again the weight) it's a bargain. :meh:

18. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    They price it really high because it's a low-profit item and they really don't want to make it. They make it because there's a demand they need to fill, but they make such little $$ on it, that they'd rather continue with their "hottest seller" the DB750 and the new AG500 - and i'm sure their margins are higher on the new stuff as well.

19. I was interested in getting some Aguilar gear early last year, but decided against it solely on the price.

I was looking for an all tube rackmountable package, and ended up with a Mesa 400+, which cost me a total of just under $2250 CAN. The DB359 runs for $3750 here in Canada, and was definately out of my pricerange. I mean... i spent less than 2/3 the price of the aguilar, got alot more power, and about the same weight. I mean... i still don't get to have that ULTRA sexy Aguilar logo in my rack, but i'm pretty pleased overall.

20. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    IMHO, i dont think the arguments like:

- its unique, yo ucan't get what you're getting anywhere else

- you can't limit teh value of the tone you get from this

....i dont think thats really fair, because you can apply that to any preamp/head from the other high quality companies like Demeter, SWR, Ampeg, Eden, WW, EBS, GK, etc etc etc the list goes on and on... where you can get a great tone (subjective of course) in a price range much lower than $3k.

but vanselus's point makes a ton of more sense to me, it being a low volume product requiring a small company like Aguilar the jack up the price to make it worth producing. But that doesn't make it worth the money for the consumers while it justifies the price.

anyway, my guess is that the street price of this will fall faster than the norm for bass heads, maybe akin to what happened to the EB/MM Audiophile stuff