Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are you kidding me ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gia, May 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    I'm sorry if this is too political but I couldn't believe this when i read it....

racism

Does this kind of thing still _really_ happen over there ?

gia x

2. I'm afraid, I think so. I was shown this last week. Words can describe how saddened I felt.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was quite shocked myself. These kinds of things are not common I assure you!

brad cook

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'll say the same thing here that i said on harmony central when this came up - everyone here has some screwed up folks doing screwed up things where they live. when it comes to issues of race and the southeastern u.s., though, the media holds everything up to a more powerful magnifying glass.

wanna get indignant over something? get indignant over this...

http://www.time.com/time/pacific/magazine/20010129/china.html

or this...

http://www.diaspora-net.org/Turkey/kurds.html

or this...

http://www.barnabasfund.org/News/Archive/Nigeria/Nigeria-20021125.htm

it's not really hard to find _real_ issues to get in a tizzy about, as opposed to a few hick teenagers deciding who they invite to their private party. :rolleyes:

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    BA, those people do not represent everyone over here in the states, not by a LONG shot. That's WAY less than one percent of the population represented in that article. There are still peopel who are racist, and there always will be those people, but they do not, by any means, speak for me, or anyone else for that matter.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    How many black only parties/proms and other events do you hear of? None.

But they happen all the time.

School clubs for blacks only, white kids don't get a white kids only club.

It is all a bunch of double standard B.S.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pot, Meet Stir.

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    That's really just sad.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Your point?

10. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    You've never heard of the golf team?;) :D Seriously, while there may not be explicitly white clubs, there are many de facto "white clubs" out there. You also have to consider the dynamics of a minority population. If you are a minority then you have to stick together. At my university there is a black students' group just like there are groups for Arabs, Jews, Sikhs, Greeks, Armenians, Irish etc.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Perspicuous cautioning.

12. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have to agree with Mike on this one. At my school, there is a Hispanic Awareness Club, Ebony Awareness Club, and an Asian Awareness Club, among others. Some friends of mine tried to start a White Awareness Club, for ligitimate reasons, like learning about history, past, and our roots. It was branded as a chapter of the KKK, and I am not being facetious. I personally saw many people accused of being racist, being accused of being supremicist.

It is a double standard. Stir the pot, so be it, but that's the truth.

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Question:

Since when is stating an obvious truth stirring the pot?

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    im not racist at all....

but for once i agree with MM

no offence mike

bp13

15. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI

So...do you guys not have history classes at school? If so, what do you learn about in this class. Certainly not about the whites history, past, and roots.

You cant be seriouse if you are trying to say that the education recieved about the whites equals that of other nationalities.

As for this article and the others on here...:mad:

16. There's problems with interracial dating???

Like, what exactly?

*is exasperated at some people*

17. Exactly, this reminds me a bit of when people say "Where's WET? We can have BET but no WET? Thats soooo rascist!!"
    :rolleyes:

18. The reasons that White Students' Societies aren't allowed is the same reason that in the USSR, there was no such thing as a Communist Party of Russia.

Look up "asymmetrical federalism" sometime. It's a very similar idea: when you are the majority group, you don't need special representation.

De facto equality is much more important than principle.

19. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Does that give them a right to call me a racist white supremicist??

Do we get to talk about our roots in a non-school atmosphre, which is what each of those clubs is? You wanna know how much time we spend on Ireland? 2 days. You know what we learned? Potato famine. Do we learn about Poland in school? Not for more than one class peroid. Does history class spend a whole month on Ireland? Poland? Scotland? Any other European country? They do on hispanics, african americans, and aisan cultures. How can you tell me what I am learning?

There is no class unit in history class that teaches me about my roots.

That is just another double standard.

20. Not at all, but whos's "them"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.