1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are you looking forward to Star Trek "3"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jul 15, 2014.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I read a few articles recently that refer to the forthcoming Star Trek film as Star Trek 3, which strikes me as slightly odd as there is already a Star Trek III, "The Search for Spock". This next film is projected to be released in 2016. Are you looking forward to this next installment of Star Trek rebooted? I'm sure it will be fun with some great picture work, though I would be more excited if the next film featured the cast of the Next Generation.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I have mixed feelings about the JJ Abrams reboots. As far as action movies go, they're great. I have no complaints. But as entries into the Star Trek cannon, I think they're disgraceful. The excuse is that it's a different universe and they all grew up differently so the the true spirit and beauty of Star Trek can go screw itself. If the movie was called "Star Adventure" and Kirk was called "Jones", and the Klingons were "alien badguys", I'd have no problem with it. I hate what they did to my beloved Star Trek.

Unfortunately, any Next Generation reboot would surely feature completely different actors and would probably be a violence filled debacle like the JJ Abrams movies. Star Trek is about the characters and about the stories. It's deep and meaningful and ABOUT THE STORIES. Not about explosions and running and lights and noise.

The TNG movies were pretty awful too, but I have a soft spot for TNG since I grew up with it. But those movies were crap. Redlettermedia's take on all the TNG movies is brilliant.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=redlettermedia+star+trek

aluminumcatfish likes this.
  3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Nope.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

You think "First Contact" was an awful star Trek picture?

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Oh, and let's not forget that the events of "Into Darkness" pretty much eliminated the need for Starfleet, spaceships, space exploration, and fear of death since they can now transport thousands of light years and Khan's magic blood cures death.

Webtroll likes this.
  6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It was entertaining, just like JJ Abrams movies were entertaining. It may have actually been the best of the 4 TNG movies, but it was still crap. All the major players were completely out of character. Picard's attitude and actions throughout the movie were totally in conflict with what we know of him based on the series. Seasons 4, 5, 6, and 7 had a post-Borg-assimilation Picard. He didn't hate them. He was traumatized, sure, but "First Contact" would have you think Picard was a borg-killing badass, savagely beating recently assimilated drones to death with a tommy gun while belting out a primal scream. That's not the Picard I know.

Watch this for a much more entertaining and poignant critique of the movie:

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I just hope they make it to four so they can go back to the 80s again.

NightW0lf likes this.
  8. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    THANK you for saying that! Exactly what I was thinking, and what I was going to say.

I am not looking forward to the next Trek film nor the next Star Wars film since JJ Abrams is directing that too! His take on Start Trek is an abomination IMO. The last film was so laughable in its over-the-top-edness that it pretty much ruined any hope of me liking anything else that comes out. Star Wars is SO going suck with him directing.

9. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Didn't like the first of the new reboots, didn't even bother seeing the second one.

Eric Perry likes this.
  10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I didn't know there was going to be a 3rd episode of the JJ Abrams reboot. With him working on Star Wars, who's working on 3?

11. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I will never forgive them for remaking the Spock/Kirk death scene. That was just a very wrong place to take the reboot. Bad decision.

But I will see 3. These movies are very entertaining, notwithstanding their blasphemy to Star Trek canon.

12. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    I liked that bit. I sat in the theatre with a smile on my face.

13. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    The only thing I think they're missing is bewbs.

DWBass likes this.
  14. Is this the alternative timeline where Anakin isn't assimilated by the Borg?

15. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    I watched the first one 9 times I think, and 4 times for Into Darkness. Like, that scene where Khan takes out all those Klingons was pretty sick. The next one is going to be even sickerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I love Star Trek and to me these are the best movies of the entire canon.

fraublugher likes this.
  16. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Like someone else said a little while ago, when DOES school start? :D

17. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    When I first heard about the reboot, I was not sure--some of the rumours tat came out were a bit frightening.
    I love the original show & the even numbered movies featuring that cast.
    I was concerned.
    But I decided to have an open mind and treat the movie as its own entity & judge it on its own merits (or lack thereof)
    And to my pleasant surprise, I really enjoyed it.
    And I really liked Into Darkness as well.
    So I'm waiting for the third one, and will see it as well.

I still prefer the Original Star Trek over all the other versions, but this new one is second in my books.
    I kind of got into DS9 later, and ENterprise was good at times--but not so good at others.
    TNG & Voyager I never got into the characters, so they were dull to me--although I did like their crossovers with the original series (The appearance of Scotty on TNG, Sulu on Voyager and especially the Tribbles on DS9)

They're not perfect movies--but they entertained me--and that's all I asked of them.

Nino Valenti likes this.
  18. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    No.
    Yes.
    Maybe.
    I don't know.
    "Into darkness" failed me.

19. Did it fail you, or did you fail it?

Nino Valenti likes this.
  20. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It failed all of us. It was sloppily written drivel.