1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are you more attracted to Fender or Gibson Guitars ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 24, 2008.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Are you more attracted to Fender or Gibson Guitars ? Over all Gibson does it more for me although the Fender Paisley is my favorite Fender.

2. Fender

3. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    Gibson. Although I can't play them. I like the Tele also, especially the Paisley, but again, they feel weird in my hand.

For playability, I like the Ibanez Jem and Jem knockoffs like the RG's.

4. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Fender

5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Gibson. I've been playing Les Pauls for over 25 years. I own Fenders (and other brands), but Gibson Les Pauls feel like home to me. :)

6. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Gibson, by a landslide. If I had an unlimited bank account (and unlimited space to store guitars) I'd own a Les Paul Custom, an L-5S, an ES-345TD, an S-400CES, a Pat Martino Signature, an SG Custom, a Firebird VII, and a Hummingbird of some sort. The only Fenders on that wish list would be a Telecaster, a '72 Telecaster Thinline, and a Stratocaster of some sort.

The party line when I was growing up & getting into guitars in the early 1970's was that Gibson knew how to make killer guitars but didn't make a decent bass to save their life; and that Fender was just the opposite. It took me several decades to appreciate the things that Fender guitars are good at, but I still find that characterization essentially accurate.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Joe likes Fender.

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Guitars are all the same to me... too small.
    :bag:

9. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I typically consider myself a Fender guy...but I did pull a Gibson Vintage Mahogany Studio off the shelf at GC a week ago that felt like butter in my hands...

10. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I'm no guitar player, but I'm more attracted to Gibsons. The look, the sound... they're just awesome.

I will say that a vintage strat sounds really nice, though...

11. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Fender

12. The Tele.

13. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Either way works, explorers and les pauls, or thinline teles and strats, is all good.

14. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Gibson.
    Nothing says rock and roll like a Firebird.

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Personally. I prefer a guitarist to use a Fender by a long shot.

It's mostly a pickup preference.

The Gibson humbuckers just get too thick on the bottom and get in my way more often than not when it starts to get loud.

The extra scale length and single coils of a Fender give the bass a lot more sonic room to my ears.

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Gibson Les Paul.

17. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Gibson Les Pauls and single cut archtop jazz boxes.

I love old Fender tube guitar amps, the end.

18. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    I am definitely more attracted to Gibson guitars (Les Paul {especially Gold Tops}, SG {white with silver and black hardware}, Firebird VII, Explorer {especially that GOTM Reverse Explorer - yowza}, Corvus {don't you look at me like that}) but my first love will always be my MIA Telecaster.

19. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Gibson totally for me. To be honest, I think Fender guitars -- the strat and tele etc are ugly...nothing at all against those that like them!! But for me they really don't do it at all.

Gibson is THE electric guitar company in my book and always will be.

20. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I like how Gibsons look/play/feel/sound better than Fenders for the most part. However, if you need something that sounds like a Strat or a Tele, a Gibson will never due.