Are You Pedigreed?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Jan 7, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

After seeing some TalkBassers' web pages, I am interested to find out...Do you come from a musical family/home, (I did), and if so, what were your early influences?
    If not, that's cool, too. How did you get serious enough to spend at least a few hundred/grand on gear, lessons, et al?
  2. I'm the first one in my family to start to actually play an instrument.. happily it was bass.. but when I was growing up I wanted to play trumpet, tromboners(hehe), and other instrument but never got to =P I wanted to perform the music I love and also create my own as well.

3. Both Grandparents on Mom's side of the family played and sang, so did mom and aunt. I started playing trumpet (like Grandpa and mom) when I was in 2nd grade, then switched to Trombone in 6th because I could hear and feel harmony better than melody. And I just liked that lower sound. Grew up listening to jazz- Stan Kenton, Basie, Ellington, etc.
    Started bass in High School and haven't been "right" since.

Dad's side was all country and hillbilly- Merle, Johnny. and the Dillards (they were the "Darlins" on Andy Griffith).It took me a lonnnnnnnnnng time to develop an appreciation for country. I admire the musicianship, but the music still drives me nuts quickly.

Actually, it was Zappa, Bartok, Stravinsky and Mingus that warped me.
    Gimme rhythm or give me death.
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Moms side-no music players @ all.
    Dads side:Grandma used to be in a Jazz/Dance band on Sax, Dad used to play sax, fife, & guitar. Uncle plays bass & guitar. Aunt used to be a drummer, cousin plays bass & drums. other cousin plays guitar, yet another cousin played the BIG Drum @ purdue & plays sax. Sister-baritone, me-bass,cello, little bit of keyboard/piano-soon to come g**tar.
  5. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My grandfather played a lot of stringed instruments, ie. guitar, banjo, bass, uke. You know, before T.V. when families did stuff together in the evening for entertainment. He gigged a bit too, for fairs and such. My grandmother was the true musician in the family. She literally ran off and joined the circus and played keyboard as the trapeze artists did their thing. She even gigged with the John Phillip Sousa band a few times. She played around the country in honkeytonks and bars for years. She toured with the original Sons of the Pioneers for a couple seasons. In the fifties she played piano bars with her traveling 44 key piano and had her name "Skippy" written on the front in naked dancing ladies. Later played lots of revues of twenties and forties music for her civic club shows. She raised me from age five so I was brought up on Heart Of My Heart and Chatanooga ChooChoo even in the sixties. My daughter will carry on her legacy, as she kicks ass on the piano.
  6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    My father used to play classical guitar, and when I begun to think of this, I found out that one of my uncle is a Jazz Flute player and the other one has been playing bass for 16 years,my brother plays keyboards.
    I picked up the bass at 15.

[Edited by lfabara on 01-07-2001 at 01:30 PM]
  7. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Mom played trombone,Dad played harmonica.
  8. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    I am currently in a musical household
    dad plays guitar, lap steel, pedal steel, madolin, dobro can play banjo, bass, vocals, and played trumpet, french horn, and (i think trombone) when he was in school. My brother plays guitar, bass, drums, dobro, lap steel, upright, clarinet, "the reverb" (for sound effects he was shaking a reverb amp for a thunder sound while he was in the pit). It took me a while to play bass because my dad ignored me musically, still does.
  9. soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    on my mother's side my grandmother was a fold musician on uke guitar and piano
    on my dad's side my uncle was a banjo and drum virtuoso, for a good part of his life he was a session man for many major artists in the northeast, adn then on teh westcoast. Now he is involved in Christian music.
  10. Im the only one : ( A proud orphan!
    At an early age i always dug the bass.The vibrations it made.
    I met some guys into Punk,started a band,bought a bass (and a tuner!) and started writing orginals from day one.I skipped over the whole world of lessons and covers.
    Back then punk bands would play with reggae bands, and once i felt the bass thunder of those reggae dub lines there was no turning back.I heard the power!
    Then a friend turned me on to John Coltrane (Later years) and said "Man,'Trane is punk rock too!" I listened..
    Damn! i couldnt escape it.
    Jazz is the highest high!
    Been a self taught jazz head ever since.All the lessons i had where from other players.
    And when it comes to spending money on equipment, damn I'd spend 25. on bass strings if i had 26. left to my name.
    Music is the universal language!
    I'm out!

11. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    My maternal grandmother played and taught classical piano all her life,and my younger bro plays quite well also.That's about it.Me,I'm only good with stuff that has strings on it.
  12. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I am the only musical person in my in my family...and no one seems to be able to figure...just where my abilities came from....:)
    I started singing, almost as soon as I could talk...and am still on my musical journey. It sure has been a long and winding one...:)
  13. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm the only musical person in my family too, but I didn't know that I was musical at all. I had always thought I was in the other end of the spectre. But a friend asked if I would play bass in his band I can't live without it. It scares me that I would probably not be playing if he had not asked that day and I regret he didn't do it earlier.
  14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

15. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I grew up in a military family that were only marginal at playin the radio. I began in music playing the trumpet, but at 14 I started college and gave it up.
  16. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    My mom's dad 'peppae' played harmonica in the style of his French Canadian roots. Sounds amazingly Cajun!

17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I was raised around music. My grandmother was pianist for the church from my earliest recollections of her until her death at 88yrs old. As a child, she taught me most of what theory I know and to read. My mother was a very good pianist, never had a lesson and could play anything. My sister plays piano. My brother plays guitar and trumpet. My dad played trumpet and some guitar. In the early 60's my uncle and his son (both carpenters) built and played their own guitars, man did I love going to their house. One of my aunts taught guitar and I studied with her for a short while, until she became too ill to teach. Another uncle played guitar, and my other grandmother played harmonica. My daughter plays sax. All except my sister, brother, and daughter are gone now, but they encourged me and helped to teach a skill that I can enjoy for the rest of my life, just as they did.
  18. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    the only thing my father plays is the bell ring
    the only thing my mother plays is the telephone ring
    when i started to play my father approached me in front of my little 10w combo amp and said: "are you joking? do not tell me that this is playing...ah ah ah"
    but they are both great, i think...
  19. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i have a 50w combo in my room, not much room for a stack. It's peavey, so it's over rated. It has about 15-25 watts. Every company rates watts differently. Fender under rates, peavey over rates, so on.
  20. A watt is an exact measurement of power. But there are different ways to measure power. With the amplifier its how much power without x amount of distortion. When you connect a speaker it is a long time without blowing up with low distortion with one note (RMS) Along with symphony playing or a test to simulate music playing, or the worst test how much time it takes to smoke the speaker in a very short time. Ussually much less than one second. What is the most important to us is Max SPL which is how loud it is. This still won't tell you if its voiced right to cut through the mix. guitars cut through the mix better than basses. So How many watts is all smoke and mirrors if you wan't to know how loud it sounds. Oh by the way my Father was a western swing bass player and my Mother was a country singer/guitar player Brother banjo, ukelele, trombone, sister banjo. Me see profile. Both of my sisters boys play rock guitar.