Are you satisfied with your DP Custom bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Taustin Powers, Oct 19, 2003.

1. When you first received (i.e., no sending back to fix problems) your custom bass from Dave Pushic, were you satisfied with it?

I've seen many discussions about his work that made me wonder about his hit/miss rate. I am really not trying to bash the guy, I have never dealt with him. On the contrary, this could actually be a good chance to demonstrate that the good reviews outweigh the bad ones by far, but simply don't get as much attention. I don't want this to turn into a bashing fest either, so please keep the posts fair and respectful.

Moderators, if you feel this thread is out of line, please let me know, and I will remove it at once.
  2. I've had mine for about a year and a half now, and I'm still stoked. It's been an awesome bass. Read my review
  3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I guess "hit or miss" (from the other thread), is true, right?
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I've no experience playing one, but I have noticed that five have gone up for sale that were commisioned by TBers (a couple of those sold to TBers and then went up for sale AGAIN), and I can think of another one that hasn't been put up for sale but the owner has noted its poor construction. Normally this many basses of a particular brand being resold wouldn't be a big thing, but considering the small output of the luthier and the percentage of TBers who ordered DPs and had problems with the build compared to those that didn't, there may be a problem that needs to be looked at.
  5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    good point... now on to checking out the progress on your custom-thread...
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

For the money, it is a good deal..........I just have to spend another $200-$300 with a good luthier to get it "right".
  7. Hmm, so far the numbers do not work in his favor at all. I thought there were more people here who were happy with their basses? Usually they chime in when Dave's work is discussed/criticized. Maybe with time we'll get some more votes...
  8. I said it before on another DP thread, and I'll say it again:

Dave Pushic needs to come forward and address the complaints!!!

Ken Smith did. Joe Zon did. It operated to their credit.

Dave Pushic, by contrast, seems to be hiding under a rock, hoping that the dark clouds will blow away.

Well, he's wrong.

There may be some very good explanation (going through a divorce, etc.), but if he doesn't come forward, we'll never have the benefit of an explanation.

I pronounce Dave Pushic...

...guilty by virtue of his absence!
  9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Try a search... Mr. Pushic,his basses, customer comments etc. are hot topics here at TB...
  10. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Iceberg ahead ! steer the other way.
  11. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I've never played a DP bass or seen one in person, but I've read all the DP threads and comments like this keep cropping up.

Sorry, but if you have to pay abother luthier $200-$300 to get a bass right, that's totally unacceptable and not a good deal. There is no excuse for releasing a bass to a customer in that condition.
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I mean no offense, and I don't think that you do either, but I think this thread is kind of unfair to Dave. I think that it's VERY important to do some research before you have a bass built by a particular builder, but these types of threads usually end up turning into a "trashfest". I hope that this didn't come out as chastising, if so, I apologize in advance.
  13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  14. rickbass

I figure it is, DW. Even spending another $200-$300, I end up with a fine-sounding, good- playing bass that would have cost me at least twice as much elsewhere.

FWIW - To get it "just right", frets 11-13 are a little high, although still quite playable.
    Also, I'd pay to brighten up the more vivid colors in the cocobolo top. Apparently, it was Dave's first shot at high grade cocobolo which was quite oily.

The positives on my DP far outweigh the negatives mainly because I read all I could about bass design before I submitted my specs.
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

This needs to be emphasized. Price is extremely low for a true custom bass, and expectations should be set accordingly. I'm not trying to say that no complaint is valid, but it seems to me that some don't factor price into the equation.
  16. rickbass

Thanks for seeing through all the dissing, Fuzz.

Yeah, there are DP failures even for people I highly respect, life Jeff Rader. I'm just sorry it happens to some good people. Afterall, I've been to Dave's home and the guy doesn't have a big facility and staff using megabucks of production equipment. But, for my intricate inlay, he figured out a way to get access to a laser cutter and the inlay turned out quite well.

But then again, Pushic is game to execute whatever craziness the customer can dream up. instead of limiting his customers to the same, tired-ass. designs that have been around since Leo owned Fender.

Some say about those hackneyed designs, "Well, it's a design that always worked well." The same could be said for a Ford Model T. :D
  17. Good to see you back on TB, Rick!

18. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Price has nothing to do with it. The fact that it's a true custom bass is no defense. Customers deserve quality product, period.

It's pretty sad that the best his defenders can say about him is that it's okay now that they've paid somebody else hundreds of bucks to make it right.
  19. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I think I saw his greatest defenders bass on eBay recently...I'm surprised the Great Defender hasn't spoken up yet....curious.

One of my students just received his DP (he ordered one because I did, Idol worship, y'know ?:p ) it didn't work when he plugged it in...Sooo back it went.
  20. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I've never seen Dave's work first hand so I won't comment.

However, I must say that in no way there's need to have big facility, nor staff using megabucks of production equipment to produce a nice bass guitar.

All you said can definitely speed up production but has nothing to do with quality.

Fred and I work in a 10 square meters room.
    A jigsaw, a router, a drill press, a sander and some hand tools is all what we have and need.

Now if I agree that price need to be taken in account in the equation, I must also say that low price should give you less quality wood and hardware, occasionally finish but I would always expect from an instrument to be structurally correct and playable.

Peace, JP