1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are you suprised your school never had a school shooting ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 18, 2008.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Are you suprised your school never had a school shooting ? I Honestly am. The Military Academy I attended had an abundance of unstable Cadets along that had access to weapons. Its nothing short of amazing no one was ever capped there.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    My school had shootings, they were just suicides outside of school property. (Weren't trying to make a "If I am going to die, you are too" statement)

3. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

My school had bomb threats and Death threats.

There was also a "Kill list" of people who needed to be killed, I was on one (it totally felt like I had won the lottery)

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    My school was loaded with guns... No shootings though... Several gang bangers killed but outside school after hours...

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Depends on what you mean by "School shooting". If you mean (as I assume you do) the unstable, suicidal teen gunman type shooting, then no I'm not really surprised. Columbine seemed to be the first of that wave of gun violence, and it occurred while I was in college.

But if you just mean shootings of any kind at school, they DID occur at my school. A growing gang problem during my high school years meant a handful (five or six) incidences of gun violence while I was a student, but only one in which I was personally in danger of being shot.

6. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Lots of guns at my school... we had students skip out of wood shop, go get shotguns out of their trucks and go turkey hunting after spotting some birds above the football fields.

Nope, not surprised though. We settled things with mutual beatings behind the pizza shop next door to the school.

7. Not really. We did have two classmates go wacky. They had a list of things to do that included derailing a train and killing a bunch of students. Instead, they stabbed their parents, then one turned on the other, stabbed him and then stole a truck. He got caught a day or two later near Mexico.

He committed the crime when he was 15 and there had been a bit on the news about how he might be released from the juvi set up when he turned 21. I threw a great Halloween party that year and went nuts on some friends for bringing some young kid that I swore was the killer to my party. I just walked straight up to him and said "I know who you are, get the **** out of my house".

Poor guy. He didn't even look like him.

Mike

8. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    I went to high school in the 80's. I'm not surprised we didn't because....

1. there were no gang bangers at our school

2. It wasn't usual to have teens on mind altering prescription drugs to curb their behavior if they were hyperactive/couldn't concentrate or whatever.

3. When I was in school you couldn't get away with squat. You'd get detention or suspension just for trying to leave the school for lunch. The faculty actually kept track of the kids.

4. Rap "music," hadn't yet influenced kids enough to make it cool to be a violent criminal or drug dealer, or be in a gang.

5. The area we live it's not a usual thing to even have a handgun, so little johnny can't steal it from his dad and go shoot someone because a maryilon manson record depressed him.

9. We had lots of guns in my school as well. We had an NRA program after school and it seem like everyone hunted. We also worked on guns and did reloading in shop class. No problem, no unstable kids. There's something in all the meds these days :rolleyes:

10. I'm not surprised that any school from high school onward didn't have a shooting. A student at my high school committed suicide, but that was about two years ago well after I graduated.

11. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I'm not at all surprised. Then again I live in the UK - we don't seem to get as many shootings as America...

However, reading about all of the school shootings makes me glad that I do live here. Ok, so we got gang members hanging around outside school with baseball bats and hammers, and there were enough knives around, but how many mass-knife-murders do you get?

12. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    Yet this is the same environment that many of these massive school shootings are happening in.

My school didn't have a massive suicidal school shooting. Too much gang activity to get away with it.

13. + 1

Guns don't kill people. Crazy upper-middle class white kids kill people.

Mike

14. No, not surprised at all.
    It was different times, I guess.

We had either fear, or respect for our teachers. If anyone had a problem with someone else they usually meet after school to works things out.

Not to say nobody ever took a gun or knife to school, but it was never used. They probably never had any actual intention of using it. At lest nothing like the intentions of the young and twisted kids today.

Ps
    My grade school was right next door to the projects.

15. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    No, it's not the same evironment. The whole high school shooting thing didn't start happening until well after I was done with highschool.

16. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    It was in campus housing, not in one of the classroom buildings but we had a guy pretty much pull a wannabe sniper move on one of the football players when I was in college. Waited for the guy to show up at a party and shot him with a high power riffle from a concealed position a couple of hundred yards away. Prick would have gotten away with it completely but he bragged about it to his girlfriend something like five or six years later.

Luckily for him he got a second trial because of a FBI screw-up and his family was able to intimidate his ex into not testifying again. Plead out to manslaughter and time served.

17. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    well.. kinda I did.. in a sense...

The "first" school shooting in Moses Lake, WA back in 1995ish was 30 miles from me, and I knew some of the people involved with the shooting...

The teacher who tackled the shooter taught one of my best friends to wrestle.

18. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    Perhaps different mindsets, but pretty much the same environment. Perhaps people weren't so stupid crazy when you went to school! :)

People used to bring handguns to my school, but most of these large scale shootings are happening with assault rifles and shotguns IIRC.

19. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    Eight years after I graduated... my high school in Lewistown, MT had the 1st shooting that I knew of (I later learned that this sort of tragedy had already struck numerous times before.)

http://www.knowgangs.com/school_resources/timeline/1980_1989/3.php

The link above has an interesting time line on the subject.

The world is a wild, wacky, weird place indeed... :scowl:

20. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There were gang members with guns on school property at my high school, but they never did any actual shooting on the premises. Tell you what though, the only reason I didn't go on a shooting spree was because I was strongly anti-gun at the time. I did cause an injury and some property damage in a couple of non-shooting "incidents" though.