1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are you suprised your school never had a school shooting ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 18, 2008.

1. My school had a stabbing this year, on school property, and a couple of students beat up teachers and get arrested for it, and death threats/shooting threats, but never a shooting yet.

2. Some of our local high schools have had bomb threats and stabbings, but no gun threats or actual shootings, yet. I think, sadly, it'll happen at some point... it's just the way the school environment is.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    When I made my earlier post, I looked up the date of the Columbine massacre to check that it happened after I'd left high school.

It is worth noting that it is the 4th worst school killing in US history, behind the Virginia Tech shooting and two that occurred much further back in history. The University of Texas massacre (1966) and the worst of all, the Bath School disaster of 1927.

It isn't that these tragedies never happened before, but why they are occurring at such alarming rates in this day and age is the question that needs answering.

4. I went to High School in Utah in the early 80s. No gun violence there, even though lots of us were hunters and owned guns.

5. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    No school shootings, and I am surprised like mad. Theres been stabbings, and a kill list, which I was on aswell. -highfives- School is lame.

6. Nope.

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Bath School disaster? That wouldn't be Bath, Michigan would it? One of my middle school teachers went over that in length if it is. Very, very sad. We eventually had a wrestling match at Bath High school...same teacher was my wrestling coach. he pointed out the memorial statue of the little girl in front of the school.

Otherwise in high school we had a kid that had a very detailed plan of attack on our school...naming certain individuals. Scary thing is the weapons he listed, his dad actually had. full autos and semi pistols. Nothing ever happened though...years later Columbine happened and I couldn't help but to remember that plan and how I laughed at it. I graduated in '90 btw.

8. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    How the deuce do you get on these death lists. To my knowledge, I know everyone that's likely to start a ruckusat school. Is it better to be on their good side or their bad?

9. Never had a shooting, a few guns brought to school and lots of knives. I graduated 3 years ago, but I went to a rural school, not uncommon for kids to go hunting before class or after, then leaving their guns in their truck.

lowsound

10. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Umm that is a racist comment and I take offense... Jesse and Al should be knocking on your door any minute now.

That's crazy... Utah is the only state that allows students at all of its public universities to carry their concealed weapons on campus... haven't heard of any shootings there yet.

11. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    In high school, (MY High school.. not Moses Lake down the road) I knew folks that kept shotguns in their trucks... but they had them so they could go duck hunting after school.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Back in the day, they just set trash cans on fire. It was against school rules to bring guns to school.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Guns don't kill people. It's those dag-nabbed bullets.

14. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    My high school had no problems but I went to a private catholic all guys high school... not too much to fight about! lol no girls to fight over...

but I'm in college now, at university of Cincinnati, and this is a decently shady part of town, i went to jimmy johns one day, and on the walk back there were like 5 police cars in a parking lot and later I heard that there was a shooting over there... i was close... surprising I didnt notice... There was another incident outside my dorm last year, 3-4 shots fired, no one was hit

it was like 4am... I was inside...

This year there was another incident somewhere near the middle of campus, but I dont know much about that one... and someone that was tripping on acid jumped out of the 7th floor of my dorm this year... this was about 2 weeks ago, I was home at the time, but I heard the stories... he is in the hospital still from what I hear

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    It was the same at my high school. Many of us carried shotguns during duck and pheasant seasons, and rifles during deer season. It was just a normal thing back then. Never had a shooting or any other sort of problem. But then, my school was in a small town with a population of about 700 people.

This year, the middle school my son goes to has been locked down 4 times because of bomb threats.:rollno:

16. being australian, our schools are not particularly known for shootings.
    my highschool was apparently one of the rougher ones, and was the first in our state to have a police officer based in the school. there was alot of fights, but no shootings.
    though there was a few bomb threats over the years.

people used to accuse my friends and i of planning to shoot up the school. because we wore boots and listened to metal and punk music and had spiky hair. we were known as nazis for the same reasons.
    i went to school with some very smart people.

17. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    My school had the most embarrassing shooting threat ever, they almost closed the school down for the day due to someone scribbling "I will shoot you all" in the bathroom stall right next to "drop acid, not bombs" and "call me for a good time..." You get the idea.

Although I am surprised that no-one has been shot at my school with the amount of pricks that stumble about, it's sickening. I'm glad I finished there last month.

18. Not really, considering i only know one of two people here with guns the odds are probably small. I think last year a kid took a 22 to school and ended up at the cop shop. Other than that I'm grateful that getting run over by a bus is more likely than being shot.

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Not at all.

20. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Nope.

I have never seen a gun, except in the hands of the police or in a museum.