1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are you suprised your school never had a school shooting ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 18, 2008.

1. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    You couldn't really get guns in Plymouth when I was at school at least. There were a few incidents with illegal air rifles during some high-school gang stuff but nothing more serious than broken bones came out of it.

When I was at college there was a day when the place was being inspected by Ofsted and someone had seen a man with a shotgun on the field and called the police...as the police turned up the fire alarm was set off and the students, school inspectors et al were evacuated just in time to see the riot police burst out of a couple of vans and try to apprehend this guy on the field. The excuse of the guy with the shotgun? He was trying to catch an escaped ferret. The police let him go.

2. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

As a sophomore we had to leave them in a car or our locker and register them at the office. Then the school board got all whipped up and we had to leave them at the office.
    Before and after school we hunted. We could still leave our bow and aarrows in our locker. We could not carry any knife with a blade over 4 inches.
    I assume the school doesn't allow this any more.

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Hrmmm. Singapore. No guns, although about everyone's handled one - citizen army. It takes a very very determined individual to import a gun here, although someone recently walked off a army base with a loaded AR-15 (or M-16 or similar).

He got caught within the day, no shots fired. I'm not surprised there have not been shootings in my country in quite a long time.

4. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    er no... but I am surprised at how many people here are replying in the affirmative... oh wait, no I'm not. :meh:

5. Interesting statement since all the school shootings of the last 15 years have been in posh suburbs.:meh:

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'm not surprised at all. Back in my day things may have deteriorated to fisticuffs, but mass school shootings were unheard of. I also attended an urban public school. Seems like it's suburban white kids that like to play commando and kill innocent by standers.

7. Good question. I'm not sure I'd be high-fiving anyone about the fact that I was enough of an ass to someone that they wanted to kill me.

Mike

8. not at all. only guns i ever saw were on the farms

9. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    School Shootings caused by people on psych drugs go back as early as 1988 when 19-year-old James Wilson went on a shooting rampage at the Greenwood, S.C., Elementary School and killed two 8-year-old girls and wounded seven others. He'd been on Xanax, Valium and five other drugs. And that same year 31-year-old Laurie Dann, who had been taking Anafranil and Lithium, walked into a second-grade classroom in Winnetka, Ill., and began shooting. One child was killed and six wounded. Winnetka is within an hour of where I live.

So far I've counted twenty-three school shootings, all from kids or grown-ups who had been given or were on psych drugs. The number could be higher than 23, that's just the ones I counted. It has increased lately, as the number of people put on mind-altering drugs has gone up.

I went to H.S. in the 90s. We didn't have a shooting at our school, but two occurred the years I was in H.S., in 1989 Patrick Purdy, 25, opened fire on a school yard filled with children in Stockton, Calif. Five kids were killed and 30 wounded. He been treated with Thorazine and Amitriptyline. And in 1993 Steve Lieth of Chelsea, Mich., walked into a school meeting and shot and killed the school superintendent, wounding two others, while on Prozac.

There were six school shootings in 1999, the year of Columbine, all by people on antidepressents. There were two in 2000, three in 2001, one in 2005, one in 2006, two in 2007 and one in 2008, again, by people on psych drugs.

They'll keep happening, and I don't want to think it might happen at my kid's school. I feel bad for the next victims, and there will be more as long as we keep drugging people.

10. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    My school DID have a shooting.

Just last week.

I went to NIU.

11. casualmadness

casualmadness Man About Town Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    VA
    There were lots and lots of fights in my school but never any shootings...which frankly surprises me. I can think fo a few people who seemed quite unstable. I do know of one incident in my school where a guy brought a gun and had made threats prior that he was going to kill a certain guy. But the gun was found in his locker before he had a chance to use it. Several kids from my school went on to become killers. But not in school.

12. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    It would never occur to me that there would even be a gun at the school, or for that matter that anyone attending the school would have access to a gun, never mind that someone would use one.

Then again I'm not in the USA...

13. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    several easy steps
    1)date their best friends ex, with permission from his best friend
    2)Confront him about the rumours he spread, his friends thought he was jerk, and his friends started to hate him
    3)Challenge to fight after he said I beat the girlfriend at the time
    4)kick his ass
    5)..?
    6)profit

the high fives a joke. I took the death threats as a joke. I knew he wasn't serious. he can't fire a gun, he carries a knife, but keeps it dull and doesn't know how to use it. Hes 5' 100 lbs. I'm 5'10 155 lbs. I think I'm bigger then him.

14. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. I'm 6'3, I still think Jackie Chan would whoop my ass.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    No,but we had plenty of stabbings.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    All of you Intro to Psych 100 students say it with me: "Correlation is not causation."

;)

17. Ding.

Mike

18. Nope. I went to school in upper-middle class 'burbs. Saw some interesting fights from time to time, but every school everywhere in the world has a few of those.

19. I went to high school in Brooklyn N.Y. They were no classroom shootings when I was there in the 80's. Now its a different story. so bad they are closing the school down

20. Logic 101, Correlation is an avenue to follow to find causation. One of several, but correlation =/= causation.

lowsound