1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are you suprised your school never had a school shooting ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Bulletr0k

Bulletr0k

Dec 23, 2007
    Ocoee, Florida
    We almost had one earlier this year, and the year before. I forget why, but there was a list of kids on the bathroom wall followed by "it all ends december 18th."

Needless to say, tons of kids skipped and the principal called their houses and said they were pansies.

2. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    ... unless you're talking about guns.

:D

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    What has a causal relationship always has a correlational relationship, but what has a correlational relationship doesn't always have a causal relationship. Finding a correlation can lead one to do experimental research and find a cause, but it doesn't mean that the correlational variables in question are causal in nature.

Disenchant was trying to infer that being on medication causes violent behavior. That may very well be true, but there may also be a confounding variable related to both being on pyschiatric medication and school shootings (i.e., being screwed up mentally). I'm not entirely familiar with the research on this medication and its relationship to violent behavior, so I'm not going to say anything either way. If Disenchant would have cited some peer-reviewed research that was experimental in nature, it would have given her argument a lot more merit than just a simple casual observation that people on medication often are involved in school shootings.

Next week on Talkbass Social Science Research Methods, LiquidMidnight talks about eliminating demand characteristics, external validity, and how to better eliminate Type II Errrors. If there is any time left, he we then explain how to compute a Kruskal Wallis statistic. ;)

4. Please do. An actual injection of facts into a few of the arguments around here might help a few.

Mike

5. to the OP

HELL yeah im surprised we haven't had a shooting!