Are you the loud neighbor?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by simongpaez, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Hey guys just curious, when you practice home , how do you deal with the neighbors ? UUUUps let me refrace it how does the neighbors deal with you?
    I haven't had any problems but I'm careful of not being to loud, are your practice rooms adapt to high volume without sending sound outside or you just play and don't give a damm? :bassist:

2. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    I practice through a POD with headphones. So, no noise problems here. :)
  3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I practice most of the time at the volume I would be using to jam with others. Plus my living room is used for jamming and band practicing. There's a drumset, upright piano, guitar amp and my bass amp. Apperently when we are jamming or practicing, we are heard from about a football field away. All the sound travels through the front window of my house, just a big thin pane of glass.

Edit: oh yeah, and there's also an alto sax.
  4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    My band currently holds practice in my living room in my apartment building. I spoke to every neighbor before we ever started jamming here and it paid off. Ofcourse we only jam loud once a week right now and its only on Sunday from about 1pm to as late as 5pm.

I'm sure it doesn't hurt that three of my neighbors are musicians as well! :p
  5. I live in a double wide, so I crank it up to 11 whenever I please since the closest house is like 30 ft. away.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    30 ft isnt that much
  7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Yes i do, but just one of my neighbors is complaining, and is not ilegal to play at have high volume here in spain between 10 am and 10 pm. Im lucky to live in the only country that has 3 bars per capita hehehe ;) .
    I havent notified anyone i dont have to but i just play loud between 4 pm and 8 pm.
  8. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Anyway we practice in my garage... I don’t turn it up too much but its loud enough and i am heard 100+ yards away... no one said anything but my neighbors are pretty cool... some of them have parties with music outside playing very very loudly so i am pretty much ok in this naighbor hood...

The thing is... I’ve heard people like us practice and you can hear them practice its just not loud enough. So anyone can basically ignore it and really not be bothered by them if they don’t want to be bothered.

only people that might complain are people living way too far from me to hear anything but they just walk around neighborhood looking for stuff to report to police... like towing my car that was parked in front on my house... or calling cops on my because i was going 25 and they want me to go 6... or jumping in front of my car hoping I’d hit them so I could go to jail and then calling cops on my again… yeah I hate these people so much…

Anyway 99% of time you are not bothering 99% of your naighborhood... only people you are bothering is people who want to be bothered.
  9. Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    When we practice at my house the "street volume" is very low. The penacostal church across the street's worship band has a higher street volume than us. Which is really weird because we practice at a fairly high volume. They must be rockin!
  10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I AM the loud neighbor- sometimes i look up and realize it's 3 am and i am thumpin' away ! the house is pretty soundproof, but i am sure the neighbors can hear. They say nothing and i , in return, turn a deaf ear on their middle of the night lover's all-out-wars. Ain't love grand ?
    I have a rig int the living room, one in the garage ready to go to a gig and an amp next to my bed upstairs... who needs women???

well, I do. :bag:
  11. last weekend I was at this party and came home kinda "early" I think I went to sleep at 6 AM or something. Anyway, when I woke up I was in totally wrong time zone, so I took a ride on my bike, messed around, surfed the web, and eventually got bored and thought I'd thump some bass.

When the doorbell started ringing I realized it was 2:30 AM. Felt like an ass talking to the neighbor, but he was cool with it as long as I stopped "brumming the whole house".

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

My Pandora takes care of that.
  13. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I usually rehearse in my living room which is a converted garage. Although it is audible outside, it isn't horribly loud. Then again I also won't play with people who gank the volume knob at rehearsal.

I had a redneck neighbor with bullhorn speakers mounted on each corner of his house that were connected to his 8 track player in the garage. He liked to get tanked in the back yard and blare the "Convoy" 8 track in the middle of the night. Wouldn't be so bad, but he liked to ride the volume knob so it was constantly getting louder/quieter. If he didn't get complaints, then I feel pretty safe about rehearsing at my house.

That guy is gone now....

PS: Believe it or not, the actual song Convoy is the best song on that album, they all go down hill from there. :scowl: I gave the guy other 8 tracks hoping to hear something else, but no dice.
  14. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    I ain't no loud neighbor! HOWEVER! If I was I know it wouldn't matter at all. The dude that just moved in next door to me is a musician. When my mother told him I play he asked if I even practice. He expects the loudness every now and then.

I am just glad I do not call guitar my main instrument. That thing is loud even at low volumes.
  15. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    I practice in the bedroom with a 60 watt combo, with the volume setting no louder than 3. Recently however, I've been using headphones because there is a new baby in the house (not mine, though.)

Here in Japan, the walls of the houses are made of paper (pressed fiberboard) and contain absolutely no insulation - and so sound travels far, especially low frequency sound. Although the neighbours are very friendly, there is VERY strong peer pressure to conform: in other words, DON'T rock the boat.

It would be unthinkable, for example, to call the police to complain, because social ostracism is the much greater, albeit unspoken factor.

NOTE: Thanks to Simon G. Paez for this interesting thread.
  16. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    When we lived in an apartment, I pretty much went headphones-only through my mixer to spare my next door and downstairs neighbors. Now we live in a townhouse, that's fairly sonically isolated, and with just one neighbor, but I still keep it fairly low, volume wise.
  17. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Holy s*** japan rocks (overcrowd aside), BTW your english is better than the average japanese but i have only met 300 japanese persons in my entire life and all of them were nice people.
  18. Count_Bassy

Feb 3, 2005
    San Diego
    Am I the loud neighbor? I play through a 600 watt mesa amp... you tell me.

I live in the suburbs so the houses are like 5 feet apart. Everyone on my street knows who the bass player is, but I also use my mesa amp with my electric drum set.

The only people who have ever complained are my next door neighbors. They say that I can play as loud as I want in the day and I have to start turning it down when it gets dark. I have to stop completely on the week days at 9 and weekends at 10. However, I actually had my other next door neighbor come over and tell me that he liked my music :D

19. My rig is down in the basement, and doesnt seem to be very loud at all, how ever, if i put it on some carpet or somewhere else upstairs, the house will deffinately shake. Luckily our houses are a bit a part. So I havent goten a complaint. When we have band practices at our drummers house which is now in the garage because their basement got flooded, i use a 60 watt sombo amp which pretty much has the limit light on most of the time. The neighbors are pretty cool about it, sometimes they just sit out on the side walk and watch. (insert smilee here)
  20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Never had a problem. When I move into the city in a couple years, I'll be joining the headphone amp crowd, though.