Are you using neodymium speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jonny B, May 20, 2007.

1. Yes

157 vote(s)
    54.0%
  2. No

99 vote(s)
    34.0%
  3. Neo... What?

17 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. I'm using carrot speakers, thanks.

18 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    I've been using Peavey's Tour 410's for 4-5 months now and almost don't mind loading and unloading these days. I think they sound amazing, are as ruugged as a tank (ain't all of Peavey's gear?), and are oh so light. So who else is using neodymium these days, what brand and are you happy with the overall sound and weight?

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Easy loading. Love it.

3. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Avatar Neo 410, sounds great, loads easy, and low end to spare!

4. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Avatar 212 and 210, all I could ever want!

5. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    genz benz neox212t and neox112t ... awesome tone and light weight.

Liam

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Because of my bad back, I sold a bunch of heavy cabs and bought Epifani Ultralights. I've gigged with both a single 410UL and a 410UL/210UL stack. The portability is just amazing... bandmates have literally said "jeez, are you sure you have speakers in this box??"

As for the sound: it's really good. There's a bump in the high mids, and the low end is amazingly huge. For some of us, this is the shiznit. But the unfortunate fact is that the Epis don't have my sound: I prefer lower mids and tighter low end. So, I use my neo cabs for rehearsals, and as emergency backup for when my herniated disks act up again.

I currently gig with a Sadowsky SA410, and have another Bergantino NV610 on the way in for bigger gigs (never should've sold the first one I had). Both are heavy cabs, but my ears are in heaven! :cool: I've just gotta be careful moving 'em (assistance whenever applicable) to make sure my back stays healthy.

P.S. Maybe I could've done some research and found some neo cabs of another brand that had my sound... but I kinda doubt that: the SA410 and NV610 are the shiznit for me.

7. YES!!! 2 cabs:
    Schroeder 1212L and 1210L!!!!

8. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    I don't, but I wouldn't be opposed to it either. Especially one of those GK 4x12 cabs.

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    No.

But I custom design and build my own rigs and I use what i think works best. Currently finishing a 3 way active rig with a 15 'sub', in it's own SBB4 tuned box. Above it is a 15 coax in a seperate enclosure. I designed them so they stack readily and fit onto a narrow furniture dolly so I only need to lift them in and out of the car, and they have a small enough footprint on the dolly to negotiate any stairwell/doorway. So weight isn't an issue as I don't have to carry them anywhere.

When I get some of the current generation 18Sound and BMS drivers, I'll do some new boxes. But I'm in no hurry as the cost/benefit ratio seems too low to me at the moment.

10. schroeder 310212L works for me!! :D

11. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL

12. Im using the warwick neo-pro cabs. 4X10 & the single 15. I can pick the single 15 cab up with two fingers! The quad with one hand easily, for an old fart like me, it sure beats lugging around the "fridge" that I used to. Soundwise, I like them very much, full detailed sound and with the 15 underneath, it shakes most stages with my 5th string! Check them out, they are also quite cheap! The only crit I have is the wood they use on the cabs, its a bit on the crumbly side, but theres no going back now!
    Cheers,
    Rusty

13. hansC

hansC

Nov 8, 2006
    Clinton, NY
    Accugroove Whappo JR. 55lbs!! My back and I are friends again..

14. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Had an Avatar B410 neo and it was decent.I have a Dr Bass RX115 with a Kappalite 3015 in it and really dig it.The Kappalite has real good mids and a tight bottom and the cabinet is almost a one hand load in.

15. Hi.

Old school sound and old school woofers for me please ;)

It's a good workout anyway.

Sam

16. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

No, but only because I'm so satisfied with the sound of my rig that I don't plan to change any part of it any time soon.

My big rig (Schroeder 1210R / 21012R) rides in a trailer with a ramp all the time, so that isn't too bad. My small rig (EA CxL-110/CxL-112) is light enough, relatively speaking, that it's not too bad to begin with.

Now, if I were GASsing for some Neo's, it would probably be a pair of Epifani UL-310s or an Accu Tri-115/Tri-112 stack.

dcr

17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yes, I use nothing but Neo loaded cabs with my Epifani UL series cabs. They sound fantastic, and at 3am after the gig, they are a blessing to pack back up in my car.

18. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Yep--epifani UL110, Markbass 1x12 combo and genz benz neo 2x12. Love the sound, love the weight. I'm ready to kiss the guy who invented neo mags

Last night I had a gig with one of the worst load-in/load out deals I've ever come across--through the loading dock, past the non functioning garbage compactor, up stairs, etc etc.

There's just no way I'm humping traditional speaker cabs if I have a choice

19. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Put neos in my GS112s. Me likey.

Kim

20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Whappo Jr. - a LIGHT ~66lbs for a 2x12 cab of it's volume.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021