1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are You Where You Want To Be

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Mar 11, 2013.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I wanted to revisit this topic, I think the last time it was posted a lot of ideas were shared regarding what we are all doing as musicians now as well as where we would like to be and how to get there.

I’m sure some of you are happy where you’re at and some of you are not. Some of you are limited to what you can do because of family/ work obligations, that take priority over music or when health or age and location issues are barrios.

Just a few bullet points to cinsider;

•What are you doing now , and are you satisfied?

•Where would you like to be or what playing situation do you want to be in?

•If you’re looking to change, what are your options and how do you plan to get there?

Blue

2. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I'm where I want to be for now.

I'm in a working blues/ rock band gigging 4- 5 times a month. Rehearsals are local to me, 10 minute drive, working with good musicians that are also good people.

We struggle with picking new appropriate material and getting everyone on board with it. I think a lot of bands struggle with this.

Blue

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I'm right where I want to be playing my Beatles relaxing and enjoying myself like nobody's business.

4. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    *originals player here*

I'm quite happy with where I am currently. Our next record will be released on June 8th and will include vinyl, which crosses off the biggest/most important item on my musical bucket list. We have gigs booked all the way into September. I really can't complain about the band.

I'm looking into a second project with a drummer friend of mine. I don't know too much about it just yet but the initial pitch to me was a quartet of drums, bass, keys, and tattooed sexy female torch singer doing jazz standards as arranged by Tom Waits... I have no idea how it will all work so I'm just waiting on the song list so I can chart out the songs. Then we'll see what happens. First rehearsal won't be until at least mid April assuming it gets off the ground at all.

Anyhow, the short answer is I'm very pleased for the time being.

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI

6. eb3mike

eb3mike

Nov 5, 2010
    Mid April will be a year together as a group. We got over the hump going from basement to gigging pretty quickly by rehearsing 3 days a week for the first month. We were all happy as to how quickly we got out there. Playing 3-4 times a month regularly now and we seem to be getting a nice following with the local bar and VFW crowd. I'm finding myself frustrated these days with hearing the same mistakes in songs we've been playing form day one. One member just doesn't put the work in to get better and it is affecting everyones attitude. I'm currently looking for a side R&B project to branch out a little. The gigging group is my priority at the moment. Just needs some freshening up.
    I started a smoking thread here weeks after I started rehearsing with them. One member has quit smoking altogether and the other members are cutting back and going outside to smoke during rehearsal.

7. I'm in a new-ish punk rock band and we're writing. We have 3 songs done and another 4 in the works & are recording the three done songs on Easter weekend. Once the other 4 get "done" we'll start booking shows.

I'll be satisfied when we're playing shows once a month and practicing/writing once a week. I'm guessing we're a couple months out.

No need or desire for change. The only things that would push me that way are personality conflicts and/or writing music I don't like and neither of those seem to be happening any time soon.

8. Happy? Yes and no.

Pros to my situation;

-Gigging schedule fits my wants and needs (couple times a month)
    -I enjoy the music I am playing (didn't think I would, but I do)
    -Practices are convenient, space is low cost
    -Talented fellow band members (currently) for the amateur level we are at
    -Quality of venues open to me are acceptable and fun
    -Has been a great learning experience

Cons to my situation;

-Revolving door of musicians
    -Nutty band leader
    -Gigs do not pay well due to band size
    -As the music director I have taken on more work than I really wanted to and have made this more "work" than "fun"
    -I have to run the PA and I don't really know how to do it well

If I could have my ideal situation, I would be playing the same music with the same gigging/practice schedule at the same places with most of the same musicians, just less of them and there would be no revolving door. And sanity. There would be more sanity.

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I am playing in a new/old Country/oldies band (covers) I was the bass player for almost 2 years 5 years ago and am back now. It is pretty cool, decent pay and gigs and the hang is good as is the music but it's not my dream gig in any way.

I am still a member of my 4 year old Originals band but we are starting to slow down due to changes with bandmates and their lives. This is where I would like to really be creating, writing and playing original music... it is really my heart.

For now I'm good thou, after 4 years of promoting and booking a fairly busy originals band which was paid flat rate like a cover band... I'm burned out. The Country cover band does this for me they get the gigs draw the setlists. I just show up play and get paid. Also the pay is much better but it never was or will be an issue for me to play.

I guess I'm starting to see the truth of the matter and as I get older the fire is fading some for me :meh:

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Sounds good except for the BL. That can't be cool.

Blue

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Overall, quite happy where I am as a member of at least one of my original bands.

Pros:
    - Great players and dedicated members
    - Everyone shows up on time and does their fair share of work
    - We're beginning to book more out of town gigs and festival dates
    - Our song writing is getting a lot better
    - We're in the process of recording our next EP (check my sig for a preview of one of our 'in progress' tracks)
    - We've been contacted by a legit booking agency who shows interest in representing us
    - We finally got a legit website made
    - etc...

Cons:
    - In my mind, we don't have a strong, step-by-step business strategy to follow
    - We need stronger 'roles' for each member in the band
    - Gigs should be paying better by now. I need to teach the other members how to negotiate our pay rates better

12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I am in an originals band with nearly the same lineup (one replacement) over the five or so years I've been with them.

I am not looking for fame or fortune, just making music I enjoy with like minded people, although success in playing better venues, building a fan base, and some recognition is always nice.

There is always room to improve, but we're fairly stable ATM and personality conflicts are limited and we're all capable of delivering great performances.

I think if anything I would like to increase what we're already doing right.

13. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I'm where I want to be. Originals band with two other great guys! Music is good and I'm having a blast.

Cheers,
    Jim

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm where I want to be. Band practices about once a week, we play out once every few months. It's a good group of guys, which is #1 priority.

I don't have time to play out on a regular basis, and I don't need money from this. I want to scratch a musical jones and play out just a few times a year as kind of a treat.

15. I'm happy with how we're moving along, but we're not there yet.

We started gigging at the end of last November and have done 1 show a month. Still a very new band here. The newest band that's making noise, though there's one that came out right before us that's doing well.

We have 6 dates booked between now and the end of April, are in the studio next week to record an EP, and are planning an LP in the fall.

My real hope is that we can make the transition from a band that is leaning on friends with the old 'This is one of our first shows' to a band with an established fan base. I think we're on the right track for that.

16. Am I content with where I'm at now musically?
    No, and nor will I ever be. Thank God, it's what keeps pushing me to the next level.
    And no matter where you are at, there is always a next level.

That said, I am quite happy about the whole thing.

17. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Pretty much satisfied, but could use more work come summer ... our band's schedule gets thin May-August. I have two other projects that I love, but not many gigs with them. We should have been recording all winter, but that didn't happen (not because I didn't want to or wasn't available). I've answered a couple of CL ads for bands that I'd have been a perfect fit (musically, anyway) but they were typical CL flakes and wannabes.

I'm nearly 59 years old. Options are limited, I fear. As an upright bass player (as well as electric bass, guitar, and vocals) I'll start looking for bluegrass/Americana gigs (again). Easy stuff to play, but not very fulfilling.

At my age I'm not even sure where "there" is! I'm either on my way up (doubtful, grin!), or I've been there and am on my way back ... :D

18. tmdazed

tmdazed

Sep 29, 2012
    one band , all is right with the world, a group filled with pro's

other band not so much , song writer who keeps changing songs and freaking out how we dont practice them, HTF can we practice something so static, drama , and level of professionalism below any standard, but its not all bad , little direction and a quick talking to of someone should put it back on the rails

19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Where I want to be: Always improving.

20. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    I'm enjoying my current band and having more fun than at anytime since I started playing 35 years ago. The guitarist and I have known each other for over 30 years but never played together until we started this band. He and I run it and have been lucky to find a great drummer, keyboard player and a lead singer who can also play bass. This gives me an opportunity to play guitar on a couple of songs. Everyone gets along very well and there is no drama at all.