Are your fingers flat?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I just noticed this... After playing heavily for the last few years, my calluses are actually flat. Not that it bugs me, I just think it looks kinda funny. So, are the tips of your fingers actually flat?
  2. i noticed that after im done playing for a while, they are flat, but after a while they "poof" back out. but if you press on my calluses, it feels like there is no blood or anything there and itll stay pushed down for like 5 minutes.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Mine are pretty flat, hard and kind of white-ish. When I was first starting out and going on weekend long practice binges, and allowing myself to pick at the hanging skin as it died - they actually calloused up kind of concave - had definate string grooves in 'em. That's always cool...
  4. The callouses on my right hand are flat. The ones on my left seem to be rounded. Feels nice and smooth though.
  5. I’m a relative newbie (one and a half years) and one of the things I’ve noticed is that my typing is getting worse as my calluses get thicker. I can’t feel the keyboard as well. Have any other newbies noticed this. My typing has always sucked, but now it’s worse!
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Mine aren't flat, but have been in the past - back when I was playing a lot of guitar.

Playing bass just doesn't toughen up my callouses as much as guitar does. The guitar strings are much much thinner, and they cut into the skin much more, and harden up the skin more. Partcularly on my 12-string acoustic, not only because it has 12-strings, so I'm fretting 2 strings at once with each finger - but the action is quite high on it.

I make a conscious effort to have a light left-hand touch with the bass - and with those chunky strings - it's no surprise that they don't toughen up my skin so much.
  7. No... not yet. They're still pointy from playing the piano.
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have rounded but calloused fingertips. I practice and rehearse alot, as well as play at least 3-5 shows amonth.

One thing I've noticed, callouses develope differently if you are playing guitar or bass.
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Mine are still round and soft after all these years. A good moisturizor will do that for ya
  10. It's funny, I'm 23. I have been playing since I was 11 all the time my hands were growing and now my index and middle fingers on both hands are turned in at the tips. But they aren't flat though.
  11. It's definitely different for guitar and bass. I don't play the guitar often anymore but when I do it hurts my left hand now from the thin strings digging in. Plus, the calouses on my right hand are thick enough that I can't play fingerstyle guitar anymore because I can't feel the strings.
  12. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Smoothly rounded here... mind you, I didn't get round to any bass practise this morning. I'll take a look after this evening's rehearsal.

13. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    left hand - rounded and smaller than - let`s say - a year ago, right hand - flat. i don`t have problems using keyboard, but I do get a very uncomfortable, uncool feeling while touching some textures...
  14. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I just realized after reading your post that this is exactly what is happening. I am playing a lot more acoustic guitar than I used to.

That is probably why I just noticed it, they probably weren't flat before. :p Duh! Now I feel silly.
  15. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Cassanova, you old softy, you! ;)
  16. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Yes beneath this hard ass ruged exterior is an old softy. *blushes*

I went to caress a now exgirlfriends face once and she told me my fingertips were very rough, so since then Ive been moisturizing. *blushes again*
  17. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    So do some women refuse to believe you play bass now because your hands are too soft? J/K! :p
  18. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    better my hands be soft when in the company of a woman than other body parts :p
  19. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Does anybody else even get callouses? My callouses go away really fast, even the ones that I get from gripping a bench-press bar.
  20. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA

I hate it when that happens...