Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are your parents musical?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Max, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I was at my kid's school band performance tonight and was reflecting on his music, mine, and my parents. My Dad played violin in an ensemble after WWII. He's 77 and picking it up again after many years, which is way cool, I think.

This got me wondering about the people on this board. Are (were) your parents musical? What did they play? How did they influence you?

2. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    My Mom is very musical. She has a major in music and plays double-reeds in several different classical groups as well as the Oregon national gaurd's bagpipe band. She used to play the basson for me when I was in her tummy... so I suppose that may have influced me very much!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My mom sings, that's all. My Dad was tone deaf, although he wrote one song and could sing it on key. All of the other songs he sang along with, he was way off.

But my brother, sister and myself can all play at least two instruments. Self taught, too. All of us.

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Dad-guitar [quit before he had me], tenor sax, fife. Uncle on dads side:Bass, Guitar, Drums. Mom:none, Grandpa mom side:banjo & guitar. My dad mom used to be the vice president of the musicians union here. thats all

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Not much. My dad can hack out one or two songs on the organ or accordion. My mum played a lot of piano in her childhood, but then didn't touch it for over 30 years. She plays a little now and then, but I would say her skills are average or below.
    With exception of my cousin, who is a professional, international opera singer, I think I am the most musical in my family. Or perhaps we are equally talented, it's just that I've spent more time developing my musicality than the others.

6. My mother played the clarinet in High School, and started again recently after 20+ years. The rest of my family has no musical talent that I know of. My brother played the harmonica for awhile.

I'm the musician of the famiily, playing bass, didgeridoo, and learning geetar.

7. My maternal grandmother has a tremendous (if somewhat cheeseball) voice and wanted to be an opera singer, but her father refused to let her go to college. My mother started college as a classical piano major but switched to music education after deciding that an 8-hour daily practice regimen wasn't her style, and has taught music off and on ever since.

My paternal grandfather was a huge opera buff, which rubbed off on my father, who hasn't listened to anything written after 1920 since about 1970 :rolleyes:

So yeah, I come from a pretty musical background. I consider myself lucky that my parents have been so supportive of my musical ventures.

8. Hmmm...let's see now...
    My dad played and still plays piano, when he was...er...about 14 years old, I think, he won a bunch of local (Hong Kong) piano recital championships or something like that. :p
    His younger brother was the same, only with violin.

On my mom's side...as far as I know she's the only musical child, having played piano since she was about 9 or 10, I think. She still plays at church every now and then. :)

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    My Mom plays the piano (she does a beautiful rendition of "The Rose").

My Dad broke a lot of wind. At times, he could be very musical. :D

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    My dad plays guitar and trumpet, but that's about it. My mom plays guitar, cello, violin, piano, and is a classically trained alto. She quit singing opera to teach kindergarten.:rolleyes: Her mom is an organist, pianist, and singer. I play bass (EB & URB), guitar, piano, trumpet, sax, french horn, and baritone. I was a band nerd, and am very proud of that!

11. My entire family are musical!
    My mum's a jazz singer and dad's a classical pianist. My oldest little brother is a very good guitar player, song writer and singer(check out his solo project "Another Mind" on mp3.com). My little sister has taught her self to play the piano and she's a really good singer too. My smallest brother is learning how to play the guitar, although he's a bit to impatient at present...

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Nope, my parents are not musical, can´t even sing properly (not that I can).
    But my brother and I are the only ones who´ve got some talent.

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My father plays guitar and has done for longer than I've been about - he was/is a huge Buddy Holly fan and is always playing and singing BH numbers when he's at home (he works away from home).

I think he was a bit disappointed in me that I didn't pick up guitar - although lately I've been playing a bit of guitar and now have 3 which seem to have made him happier!!!! My mum isn't musically inclined and neither is my brother.

My dad has started playing (or trying to play) banjo, and he was given an old banjo-ukelele by someone that he plinks on every once in a while.

As far as I know he is mostly self taught on guitar - although he did eventually go to some classes to improve things later on. I'm self taught on bass- but I must credit my dad for showing me my first 4 chords on guitar, mind you he also showed me barred chords so I guess he showed me a lot more than 4 really!!!

14. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Both parents learned piano as kids. Mum still plays. Her Dad was a good singer. My other Grandad could play anything on the piano if you sang it to him. My brother played guitar and piano. All my children play drums and my daughter also got grade 1 flute and gave up.

No excuse for me really :)

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    there is nothing less musical than my parents. they have never been interested in music playing nor listening. i have always thought that we are too much different: there could have been a cradle change back in the sunny april of '75...:)

16. Sanger

Sanger Guest

Feb 15, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    My parents and the majority of my extended family have no musical bones in their bodies. I suppose this shows in my playing :)

17. My parents were very musical. My mother played piano, flute, and sang in choirs. My father played guitar. They were into lots of music. As a kid I can remember growing up on Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus, The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkle, and lots of classical music. None of my brothers are naturally musical. I have one who is trying to learn blues guitar and the other plays the radio really well. My daughter seems to have some natural musical ability. I don't know if she will have the interest or discipline to pursue it.

18. The only person in my family who was ever musically inclined was my father. He played trumpet in high school, and right now at the ripe age of 54, he is learning the piano. I think it is pretty cool that after all these years he is actually picking up an instrument. But my parents never really encouraged me to play bass, my dad wanted me to play sax. I had to buy all of my bass gear at first, because they didnt think I would take it seriously. But when they saw that I was taking it pretty seriously, they bought me a Fender American Deluxe Jazz:D

19. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    My mom used to play the piano, but that was so long ago I barely remember it...

My dad learned how to play a bunch of traditional Irish tunes on the flute and tin whistle from his father, and he's pretty good. Neither of them was/is able to read music. He also plays the bodhran (Irish drum) really well.

20. Nope, my parent's have never played anything, neither have my grandparents, my sister tried the piano and gave up quickly. My only relative which has kept up with playing something is my cousin, she played keyboards for some time. Me, I've already decided that I'm going to play bass and sing in a choir untill I'm too old to do it. And I'm going to stand by that decicion by sheer stubborness.