1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Area J + Model J combination?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Formula144, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Formula144

Formula144

Sep 27, 2011
    I'm a beginner with a Squier VM 70s Jazz. I know hardware won't make me play better, but I like to tinker. I'd like a wider range of tones than I can get from the stock instrument. Thinking about a mixed set of pickups -- a Model J at the bridge and an Area J at the neck. Comments / suggestions / emotional outbursts?

2. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    If combining 2 different Dimarzios, I would probably put the Model J for the neck and the Area J for the bridge.

I usually prefer a more vintage bridge tone, and I hear that the Model J in neck position gives a good thick tone, if that's what you want.

Check out the Dimarzio site for T/M/B descriptions, and best of luck.

3. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I'd lean more towards a matched set, but maybe that's just mild OCD.

What's your reasoning behind your choices there?

4. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I put a Model J with a 500K push/pull vol pot in my Hamer Cruise Bass'es neck and left the stock Seymour Duncan SJB-1 Vintage in the bridge. Gives me a thick tone when needed, and using the push/pull opens it up to a hollow woody tone.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It's not a bad idea if you want a thicker sounding bridge and a cleaner sounding neck pickup.

They are similar in output, but the Area J is brighter. An UltraJazz would work well at the bridge too.

6. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    The Model J run in series in insanely thick. Great for standalone J-bridge bark.

7. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'd match pickups...I have two Model J's in my Squier VM 70's Jazz and whew...they are amazing!

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The Model Js are fat sounding. For some people a standard jazz bridge is too thin on its own, which is why you might want to mix pickups.

Modern pickup sets often have the bridge wound hotter to compensate for the lower output you get closer to the bridge. But most Jazz sets have them both wound pretty much the same. So mixing a set could be good depending on what you are looking for.

9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Did you install each pup in Dimarzio's standard series config, or did you use two push/pulls so each pup could run as either series or parallel?

10. Formula144

Formula144

Sep 27, 2011
    I'll admit that I don't have a great ear, but to me there's not much difference in tone between the factory bridge and neck pickups. I like the sound of the neck by itself. The bridge just sounds thin/weak, and I haven't found a combination I like better than the neck alone.

So the first step is going to be putting a Model J at the bridge. I thought it'd be nice to have a 'fatter' tone option. I don't necessarily want to replace the neck pickup, but I know I may get noise with only half of a single-coil pair. The Area J sounded like a good option if I do have noise issues.

11. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    If you want fat, remember to wire the Model J in series.