Area under my thumbnail hurts like bawlz!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kwesi, Oct 19, 2011.

1. This happens every once in a while but it's really starting to mess with me now. If any pressure is applied to the top half of my thumbnail or thumb it hurts. A lot. Gaming? Hurts. Writing? Hurts. Thumb pluckin' my bass? Hurts. I was installing some blinds today and I had to really pay attention so I didn't whack my thumb on anything. Of course, I did and the installation was subsequently postponed until later in the day. Anyway, does anyone have any idea what this could be? I am clueless and in pain :(. Halp me pwease.

For whatever it's worth, it's only my right thumb (you know, the important one). Ol' lefty is fine.

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Infection of some sort maybe?

3. Hi.

What kind of pain?

Non-focused general hurting that will last a short while?

Sharp, localized, fast, and only lasts a few seconds?

If it's the former, I'd suggest an infection as well or some tissue damage from solvents etc.

If it's the latter, a metal or glass prick next to a nerve is most likely the cause.

Because of all the grinding, milling and turning I do, I get one at least weekly. Stainless, Aluminium and Titanium are the worst, as you can't see 'em, regular mild steel rusts visibly in a day.

Regards
    Sam

4. Topspin

Topspin What's my name again?

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I played Tom Sawyer with a pick once. Shame on me.
    Cut it off, it'll never hurt again. ;)

5. This sounds about right. Any fixes, doc?

6. Hi.

Doc, LOL, BEng Mech actually.

Some sort of antiseptic cream and rest should do it.

Or You might see a real doc about it...

Or just cut it off like Topspin suggested :).

Regards
    Sam

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021