Arena Rock Amplification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SantasCabanaBoy, Mar 18, 2001.

1. SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    Alright, when a band like Metallica plays a stadium, what kind of rig does Jason Newsted play through?
    Like how may watts and how many speakers? I am really curious.
  2. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    You only need enough to be able to hear yourself on stage. That said, rock bassists can go overboard sometimes. Robbie Merrill has a pretty nice tour rig, 10 goliath III's and 5 goliath III jr's, which is 50 10's.
  3. This may be a stupid statement so don't hold me to it, and i would like to know the answer too. I'm just taking a guess...

Would it be possible that Jason say used a rig of 300 watt head into what ever combo speakers, then he'd be through the PA as well?? When they played here in Australia in our little Entertainment centres, i didn't see any Bass rigs up on Stage, so there must some PA thingo going on. I don't know, enlighten us. :p

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    PA is pretty much all the audience hears in arenas, even in the front rows. More often than not, the bass usually has one DI and a mic feeding the board. I wouldn't be surprised if Jason couldn't even hear his own rig and relied more on the monitors to hear himself.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The way I figure it, in a big stadium show, the bass you hear is coming through the PA. An example of the power requirements would be something like 20,000 watts through 64 eighteens.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just thinking about it kinda takes your breath away, eh?
  7. True, but just thinking about it, makes me want it. lol

8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I don't know about Jason Newsted, but I know Geddy Lee shows about 3 or 4 8x10's on stage, but doesn't actually use any of 'em. He only used his Trace Quatra-Valve head and a single 4x10 off stage in an isolation booth. That was for the Counterparts and Test For Echo tours, anyway.

Some bass players don't even have amps: just direct boxes or whatever straight into the board. They will then either use regular wedge monitors or even in-the-ear monitors, which seem to be more popular than ever!
  9. The most typical thing these days is a smallish amp on (or backstage) that sounds real nice. There are usually a mic line from the cab and a DI line straight from the bass sent to the PA. The amp is sometimes used as a monitor, and is supplemented by the monitor mix. A popular misconception is that you need a massive rig to do stadium shows. Big stadium PAs always have a dedicated monitor console with discrete mixes for everyone on stage. So you can get whatever you want in your mix without affecting the other mixes. It makes more sense from a sound point of view to keep a reasonable amp level and supplement it with monitor, because the amp projects sound into the house and the monitors project away from the house. And the less stage sound that is being projected into the house the better. It gives the soundman more control (this is a good thing if you've got a decent soundman) and lets the PA do its job. Having a lot of stage sound projecting into the house is very detrimental to the mix. The big trend in monitoring these days is the in ear thing. These are the best things EVER for monitors! A perfectly clear mix in your head at a reasonble level. No feedback, no awful racket of 200-800Hz spilling from the vocals. Makes it really easy to get a CD quality mix in the house....which is what I'm always aiming for. Most of the bands you see where the bass player has like 6 8X10's on stage are just using them for props because they look cool. Maybe one of them actually has speakers in it.
  10. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    have you watched Dream Theater's Once in A Livetime video?

in they're gig in Greece John Pettruci suddenly lifts one of his 4x12 Mesa cabs and passes it hand to hand all over the stage then throws it to the crowd...