1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aren't all pbass pups created equal? (size)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by melarson, Apr 20, 2010.

1. melarson

melarson

Feb 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    I just refinished my beloved first bass, a Squier p bass, in fiesta red. I wanted to replace the white pearloid pickguard with a red tort. I bought a used pickguard that is supposed to be off of an American p. I believe it to be true because it is 4 ply with holes for a pup cover and finger rest. When I went to put it on everything fit well except the pups weren't even close. The main cut out was close but the semi-circles cut out for the mounting tabs were way off. I have already replaced the wiring harness with 62 RI wiring and I'd like to replace the pups with Fender 62 RI's. Any idea if these will fit my pickguard, or will I have to mod it to fit?

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Fender doesn't use standard sized pickups in the MIM and Squire basses.

But you should be able to get another pickup and have the body and pickguard routed.