Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aren't old P basses the best

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Abluesbassist, Aug 8, 2005.

1. here's a pick of me and my baby she's a 73 all original and i think i great shape. i have yet to hear a better sounding bass imho

2. yes...the bass is in great shape...

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Here's my 73:

[​IMG]

When I bought it, it had EMG actives in it, about 15 minutes later it had the original pickups...and sound HUGE. I love the way it sounds, but I don't like the way it treats my hands...so it sits in its case...

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I had a 72 for 6 months... loved it... regretted that I had to give it back. :crying:

5. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have a '64 that is phenomenal. I don't gig with it anymore, because I don't want to risk losing it!

6. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Got to use a 72 for a couple of years. One of the best sounding and easy playing basses I've come across. Had to give it back to my friend. Even offered to buy it but he is a millionaire so offering 2K for the bass didn't phase him. Plus his dad gave it to him but he lets me borrow it for recording. :hyper:

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've been lucky enough to have made friends with an owner of a '64 L-Series P-Bass. Whenever I'm in town he'll bring it in for me to play. It's so full of mojo, it's unbelievable. :cool:

And to answer to original posters question: Yes, IMHO & IME old P-Basses are the best. :hyper: :bassist:

- Art

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I played an old 60's Precision (can't remember the exact year now) strung up with seemingly almost-as-old flats while I was interning at a studio about 10 years ago. It belonged to the studio. That bass was a real player, a real warrior. It was all beat up with a lot of the finish chipped off, but what a sound and feel.

9. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Vintage P basses rule, I have a 79 that I will never get rid of, I can take it anywhere plug in and sound great!

- Tom

10. I think P basses look their best when they are beat up. And yes, I tried a 75 Pbass before at guitar center for nearly an hour, And they are great.

11. Oh screw you guys!! You are making me GAS even more for a '62 reissue with olympic white body, and all black hardware.... *drool*...

anyway... I mean this in all respect, both to you, and the the guy I'm talking about.

Did anyone else think 'John Popper' when the saw the picture???

Again, all do respect, I love Blues Travelar, and I hope I'm not the only one.

~Ryan

12. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

What a coincidence for me, this thread. I just picked up a '78 P for $750. It has a dead spot around the 7th fret on the g string but it's not too bad. Is there anything I can do fix a dead spot? Will having the bass professionally refretted help?

13. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1201

They really work!

14. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Perception is a wonderful thing.

Back in the '70s the only Fenders worth having were the pre-CBS ones ('63). The new ones weren't nearly as good, or so everyone said. Now the '70s Fenders are just great. What, did they get better by magic, somehow? Do basses age like fine wine?

Don't be at all surprised if you find out in 2020 that the Fenders that are brand new today are considered true classics, better than the new ones.

The "golden age" when everything was better than it is now is a myth. I was there. I know, first hand. The exact same discussions were happening then, about how old instruments were the best.

Close your eyes, open your ears and mind, and listen. Decide on the merits of the instrument, not some arbitrary "X" factor like its age. "Old" does not automatically equal "great."

But hey, if it works for you, cool.

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Fo' sho!

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love beat-up P-basses too. :bassist:

I used to own this '64... I bought it in this condition in the early 80's. I sold it to my guitarist brother because I didn't want to bring it to clubs. That, and I switched to 5-string. It's one of the nicest sounding P-basses I've ever played.
    [​IMG]

This is my new P-bass! It doesn't quite have the vintage Fender vibe (I expected as much), but gets close when I dirty it up with an Ampeg SVP-Pro. It's still shiny, but gradually getting scuffed with playing wear. And that's how a P-bass should be.
    [​IMG]

17. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    I have a 78 P bass with J neck
    it has sustain for days, the greatest tone
    my bass teacher drools every time he touches it
    and he has a 62 Jazz he's owned since 65

bada## bridge, dimarzios
    no closet job this one had been played out

not all vintage 70's are nice
    I live in New Orleans so get access in the shops to vintage instruments - I've picked up and played a few heavy turds with no mojo - the ones that put the bad rap on 70's fare

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I had a '78 that I'm in the process of trading for a '95... going to load the new one with vintage electronics. Until I can find a lightweight vintage P in good shape, this is my baby.

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

They take a while to wear in. I do think the older pickups sound better and I prefer a 'played in' bass more than a new one. My modern Fender stuff seems a bit diluted...

20. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'd be very interested in seeing the results of a double-blind test of that assertion. I don't doubt you, but I wonder if anyone's ever done a test to find out if it's really true. I bet it has been done at some point.

So much of the "vibe" of an instrument is aesthetic and subjective. You look at a well-worn P bass and you feel a certain way about it even before you touch it or hear it. And that IMHO colors your perception of it. I'm a firm believer in the placebo effect, having experienced it myself on many occasions.

Hey, those pickups are vintage, so they MUST sound better, right? Maybe they do. But the belief that they will in fact sound better plays into it, no doubt about it.