1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aren't you tired of all this christmas crap?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Felken, Nov 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Yes!

64 vote(s)
    62.7%
  2. Merry christmas!

38 vote(s)
    37.3%
  1. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    It's starting too early! Heck! It's still November! Why is everyone talking abut Christmas?? Houses are already decorated with lights, songs already on the radio. It's kinda annoying.

pacojas, Atshen, pjbassist and 2 others like this.
  2. So glad someone else started the thread, because I figured if I did it it might get some really negative responses.

Yes, I'm tired of it already. All the TV shows are all about xMas episodes these days, boring.

I can understand why suicide climbs this time of year though, if you're alone & depressed, all this xMassy stuff would just make it worse.

It's sort of ironic that I personally knew a cast member of "It's a Wonderful Life", a film many many people have credited with saving their lives over the depressing holidays.

My friend Larry told me that when he attended events with the cast of the film many people would break down crying & say the film saved their lives:

its-a-wonderful-life-bailey-family-05.
    That's him on the left.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  3. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Just plain normal, nothing to see, keep moving... The stores that start in August, I find annoying and generally avoid. If folks in the US hold off until after Thanksgiving it's fair game from there on out. Not sure what boundaries are common in other countries that take an active commercial approach to the holiday. Some of it is far too tacky, crass and commercial, but you are free not to go there. I know a few folks who will not buy a present nor put up a tree until Christmas Eve. Personal preference...I won't bore you with my approach, but it's low-key, at best.

tlc1976, GregC, FilterFunk and 3 others like this.
  4. I was just reminiscing recently about how I was able to avoid xMas so easily in Thailand.
    One of the perks of living & working there.

5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Seems like it’s been starting right after Halloween for a long time. I personally hate the holiday because it imposes certain expectations on me. Every year all I want to do is get through it.

I voted Merry Christmas because that’s what’s expected.

tlc1976, Felken and Killed_by_Death like this.
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I don't see the reason to hate. Christmas lights are fun. Holidays are a time to indulge. Christmas music is more than easy to avoid thanks to the miracle of online buying.

blue4, Trouztrouz, GregC and 2 others like this.
  7. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008

Maybe this will cheer you up, always works for me

8. I don't mind it as much as I mind what it does to people.
    My aunt used to go broke & into debt buying gifts at the holidays, because she was brainwashed that she must do that.

We finally saved her the trouble by cancelling gift-giving. So then she sunk all her money into making crafts for sale at xMas-time & never being able to recoup her investment.

It doesn't bother me much directly, because I'm of a strong will to do my own thing, but a lot of people fall into the traps.
    and before you say it, no I don't think I'm better than they are, but...

I can laugh when I hear them playing xMas carols as they drive through a parking lot.
    (it happened only yesterday)

Dealing with those people is like coming into work hungover & the peppy co-worker is just being themselves, all cheery :bored:

I forgot to add: Bah Humbug!

OldDog52 likes this.
  9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    My fav.

47th Street and lowplaces like this.
  10. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Ah, Pigpen is playing an unmodified old 3 string bass viol. Most have been refitted to 4...but not his. I see it has a spare peg though.

BassmusM6674, JimK, tlc1976 and 5 others like this.
  11. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    It's much too early for my liking but I won't be the one to rain on anyone's parade.

If it makes someone happy, let them have it. There are too many other things in this world to get down about and a holiday shouldn't be one of them.

BluesOnBass, Nashrakh, blue4 and 6 others like this.
  12. Be glad you aren't down here. It started well ahead of All Hallows' Eve. Blah Blah.
    Yeah, It drives the economy. Blah Blah.
    The TV/Radio ads for Christmas, probably go to the stations that promise to play the most Christmas oriented shows/music. Blah Blah.
    A lot of folks get to work seasonal jobs at minimum wage. Money they wouldn't have otherwise.
    All the donation business' like the Good Swill and Starvation Army go big for your spare change.
    It's all big business that impacts everyone, even if you think you can ignore it entirely.
    As long as we don't shoot our eye out, we'll get through it.
    Deck the halls with boughs of holly, blah blah, blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah.

13. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Totally agreed. Target had xmas decorations adjacent to the Halloween stuff this year. Ugh.

Felken and Killed_by_Death like this.
  14. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    I despise the gift giving part when a family member gives me a list of crap they’d like to get and expect me to reciprocate by telling them what crap I want.

I don’t want anything. I have everything I need and most everything that I want. I don’t want more material crap and I don’t want to put on a happy face Xmas eve or morning and say with fake sincerity “Thank you for this soap on a roap” (which will go straight in the garbage).

Bah!

Atshen, Oddly, Jeff Scott and 2 others like this.
  15. If it truly does, then yes.
    However, I've seen entirely too many people just putting on their happy face, because that's what they've been instructed to do, but privately they're in Hell.

My aunt was one of those people, but I had roommates or teammates through life that were similar.

Atshen, Oddly and OldDog52 like this.
  16. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Every time I float the idea of no gifting or a limit of say one gift, it’s as if I’m some kind of mental defective.

BTW, I’m talking adults here. Kids completely change things.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  17. So glad my family canned the gift-giving. When I was young it was a big thing to open our gifts after dinner & then the adults got drunk while we played with our toys.
    Eventually they stopped drunk driving & nixed the gifting.
    Two of my cousins died during the holiday season (separate years, but not far apart) & that threw a wrench in this time of year for at least a decade.

Oddly and OldDog52 like this.
  18. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Also this has nothing to do with me being a cheapskate. Far from it. I just don’t think any of us adults need the latest greatest George Foreman grill.

remy26, Atshen, Oddly and 3 others like this.
  19. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    My fondest childhood memories are Christmas dinners at my grandparents.

I've watched my children, my grandchildren, and now my great-grandchildren experience the same. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

blue4, FilterFunk, JimK and 7 others like this.
  20. Ha, I remember getting my butt whipped by my tipsy dad for misbehaving, doing what kids do when they're in the basement with all their other cousins while the adults drink.

murphy likes this.