Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aretha franklin question

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CAM, Apr 15, 2003.

1. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    i have done a search, but i couldn't find what i was looking for. This thread needs ONE reply, from someone who knows for absolute sure...Did James Jamerson write the bass for r-e-s-p-e-c-t by Aretha Franklin? YES OR NO

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Nope...Jamerson was under contract to Motown.

"Respect" was probably played by either Chuck Rainey or Jerry Jemmott.

3. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    He was her bassist of choice. Not to say that she didn't use others, but if she had any say so, the Queen got Chuck.

4. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    I have managed to get the jist of the bass line for respect, but a tab or sheet music would be very useful, does anyone know where i could find it?

BTW I've just (re)discovered the motown genre since ive been playing bass. I've got to say, that in terms of bass lines and groove, it far out surpasses any other genre.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Tommy Cogbill wrote and played the bassline to the original recording of "Respect."

Of interest though is Cogbill's approach to playing the F to C change. Cogbill plays, almost, the exact same figure that Jamerson plays on Gladys Knight's version of "Grapevine" during the same chord transition during the chorus. It would be interesting to know which was written first. I wonder if one was inspired by the other.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    EDIT: Oops...Jazzbo beat me to it...I'm leaving my post anyway because I'm a selfish bast-ad

It depends on which release you're listening to. I believe this song was originally released on the '67 album "I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You." That was her first Atlantic album and being a Muscle Shoals session it would most likely be Tommy Cogbill or Jerry Jemmott. In this case it's Tommy Cogbill. There were other releases of this song later...especially on live albums, but I think Cogbill was the original.

Don't discount the Muscle Shoals guys...they could bounce and groove with the best of 'em. Jerry Jemmott was an influence on Jaco and he remains one of my favorites of the older session bassists. Check out BB King's Completely Well for some really bouncy Jemmott blues.

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Good question Bo. Both songs were released in 1967. I wonder which was recorded first? Could be entirely incidental too but who knows.

brad cook

8. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    That always amuses me. i sometimes talk to people and they say "I like all that Motown stuff, you know: Aretha Franklin, Al Green, Otis Redding". Nope, never, not true. To my ears, there's such a huge difference between the smoother Detroit production and what was going on in Memphis and at Muscle Shoals, but I guess it's all just oldies radio to most civilians. At least Aretha makes a little sense as she's from Detroit.

9. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Otis Redding? If that is the case then the "original" bassline would have been written by someone at Stax, right? Someone like Duck Dunn, perhaps? I don't know, I'm only speculating. I realize that this has nothing to do with Aretha's version....

EDIT: Duh...Someone has already answered this question, I apparently overlooked that. :D

EDIT2: Upon further investigation, I stand by my statement as being correct (as far as the "Original" bassline, not Franklin's version).

10. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    so, was the bassline the same with the ottis reading version?

personally, i think there was a little swaping and "lending" of material in and around 1967. It probably has and always will happen in music.