Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ARG! I can't practice...!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Buddy Lee, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    Well, I got a problem. As you might guess I play double bass (Rockabilly slap style). I really love it.
    Now, I live in a block of flats, still in my parents' flat.
    Actually, it ain't really the problem that it's a block of flats, 'cause right of abode says that you can do loud things like hammering, drilling - or maybe playing a double bass - one hour a day between 3 PM and 8 PM. Actually, it seems that my neighbors don't have any problems with my playing, they're always kind when I meet them - and they know that I'm that weird guy with the instruments...
    The problem's my parents. When they're at home, I can't pluck two notes, 'til they come and tell me to stop playing.
    I tried to explain them that I have to practice, at least half an hour a day (ideally four hours, but that's utopian...), but they just don't want to understand. They always tell me that you can't play in a block of flats, I tell them that the law says that you can do something that loud one hour between 3 PM and 8 PM, and then we start to argue (what means that at some point they tell me to shut up...).
    My father told me I had to find myself some practice room. I can't afford a practice room (I'm just about to lose my job and I couldn't afford a practice room, if I'd keep it...). My father says: "Find some buddies you can play with!". Well, I found two guys, I'll soon be jammin' with. Maybe we'll form a band. But that means, that I'll have to practice even more at home, at least just to train my muscles so that I am actually able to play with them. "Then find yourself some practice room!"
    Arg! Apart from the fact that I can't afford a practice room, I also can't manage to drive somewhere everytime, just to practice some lines or some slappin' or just to play a single song.
    When my parents are away, I can slap the hell out of my bass and no one complains. The problem is, they're more often at home than me...
    I tried to explain it to my parents again and again, they just won't let me play! I don't know what to do...

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Where are your new buddies playing? Maybe you could use whatever space they use when they rehearse. Some folks I know use the larger sized walk-in public storage units for rehearsal, even for entire bands. Not too posh, but they get the job done. I've also done a lot of practicing outdoors, weather permitting. Your parents need some attitude adjustment, IMHO.

3. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    Thanks a lot for your reply, Marcus! :)

Well, me and "my new buddies" are still looking for some place for our first rehearsal. We'll see. Anyway, they both live several kilometres away from me - it's near enough to rehearse with them for me, but it's way too far to "go out practicing"...

Me too. And yeah - weather permitting. And weather is getting worse. Apart from that, I just can't manage to take my bass to the park or somewhere, everytime I want to practice a bit. I already do this as often as it's worthwhile...

Man, that's exactly what I think... :(

I only know that when I move out one fine day, I'll make sure to get a flat where I can practice and play. For the time being I may just go berserk or so...

4. Have you tried using a practise mute? (like a regular mute, but bigger, heavier, denser) - I find it works quite well, especially for arco - but I suppose it depends how quiet you can bear to be...

- Wil

5. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    Well, I've never used a mute and I've never even come across one here.
    Does it work for slap playing, so that you can play the same way as without a mute or does it effect the playability?
    Doesn't it only work for the bass tone? Wouldn't the percussive slap stay as loud as it is?
    And where can I get me a mute here?

6. Does it work for slap playing

I've no idea...

...so that you can play the same way as without a mute or does it effect the playability?

A mute doesn't affect the playability.

Doesn't it only work for the bass tone?

Yes.

Wouldn't the percussive slap stay as loud as it is?

Most probably.

And where can I get me a mute here?

You could try Lemur, and look at their catalogue for item #A1374. I've seen them come up occasionally on eBay.

Good Luck!

- Wil

7. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    Well, then I guess, a mute wouldn't solve my dilemma...

Thanks anyway! :)

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    There are soundproof practice enclosures available that are just big enough for the player and his instrument. If you were the handyman type, you might be able to build yourself a knockoff of one of those. A Google search would probably illustrate what I'm talking about.

9. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    You're kidding...

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Nope...you can check 'em out at SoundSuckers.com, among others.

11. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    I could neither afford nor build :eek: such a baby...!

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Same here! Plus, you'd probably have to lay it on its side if you wanted to practice that cool bass-straddlin' thing you guys do;)

13. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    :D

14. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    this apartment complex where you reside does it have a storage locker room? Or a landry room if so you got your practice room. And the outside playing thing is a good idea too.

Joe