Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liran, Dec 16, 2001.

1. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I just went and sanded my Ibanez body down, so I coud have a would finish on it, and it turns out the top is made of some composite or something interwoven with balsal wood. So one bass body wrecked. Whats a good place to find replacement bodies?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    it happened to me too. with ibanez and other brands. never trust to what they write to their webites. check
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If an inexpensive bass has an opaque finish, there is little chance that the wood underneath is worth snading down to.
  5. I think that's some kind of primer/spackle compound or something. It's probably done to give it a perfectly smooth finish for painting. I remember seeing it before somewhere.

It's not necessarily ruined. Just get it repainted! I'm sure you can find a custom guitar shop that can do it for you.

- Dave
  6. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ya I've been in the process of repainting for about 5 hours, and the last coat is drying right now. I'm also putting the polyurethane finish on the neck. Is 3 coats enough?
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I did that to my old Charvel bass years ago. It was actual wood underneath, but nothing with a grain pattern that was worth looking at. So I took it to the local auto body shop in town and had em repaint it. Turned out to look better than it did from factory. So then I sold it. Go figure.:rolleyes: