1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Argentine Tango Bass Techniques

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by AthensTango, Nov 3, 2013.

1. AthensTango

AthensTango

Nov 3, 2013
  2. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Thanks very much. Very informative and helpful, especially the bow strokes.

3. thanks!

For improvements, the light should be in front of the bassist, to that would give a better video picture. And more playing to go with the talking!

4. AthensTango

AthensTango

Nov 3, 2013
    Yeah, I think we're going to move to a studio with lights. Our local university has a studio we found out about. We're probably going to reshoot and use some public domain examples like Por Una Cabeza or El Choclo.

5. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

The video looks very good and the info will be popular, I think. I'm interested in the topic. Personally, I'd like to hear an example of what you'll be talking about at the start so maybe a short demonstration? Then a brief description of what will be covered, might be a good idea, kind of like a table of contents. Also, I heard that tango originated across the river in Uraquay, true?

6. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    Sub'd

7. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    You don't need a studio-just move the lamp around til it looks good.

8. agree w/Salcott, the setting is fine, just move the light around so we can see you and the bass better.

May I suggest hanging a blanket or two (or some other sound control) up behind the camera (not you) to kill some of the harshness of the sound. You're playing in the corner of a brick lined room so reducing some of the "bathroom sound" will improve the intelligibility of your lecture as well as the sound of the bass itself.

Nice work, thank you for doing this, very helpful :cool:

9. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Wow, great presentation! I think these videos are produced perfectly, like being in the room with an instructor. Bravo!

10. Technically correct. Tango started on the Uruguayan side of Rio de la Plata but it practically went over to Argentina immediately after. It was popularised in Argentina and got worldwide exposure through there so naturally everyone assumes it originated there.

I'm of Uruguayan descent and the people there REALLY take their Tango facts seriously haha. Someone made the mistake of calling it the "Tango Argentino" and all hell broke loose.

11. yeah, you don't need to move to a new studio. Just move the lamp to a better spot.

for format, I like
    - play music right away, get us excited about the sound and topic of the video
    - introduction, explanations
    - slow motion example, excerpts, talk
    - real time music
    - brief out talk. (maybe followed by play out music)

Experiment with different scripts for the video. I'd like to hear more playing, to go with the talking.

Short 5-7 minutes lessons are nice too. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

12. jfdamiani

jfdamiani

Mar 28, 2011
    Ey im from Argentina, very glad u guys like the tango :D

If someone enjoy rock as well, listen TANGOIDE from Catupecu Machu, y solo bass and drum, a different aproach from a rock bassist to tango, interesting, at least!

Cheers!

13. AthensTango

AthensTango

Nov 3, 2013
    Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. We're about to redo some of these videos this year. I also got some requests on techniques on the bass like strapata and hitting the bass like in this video. This was a recital and audition where I played some Piazzolla. I may use parts of this in a full video to demonstrate and have this as one of the intro songs: