1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

argh - bass i've wanted for the past 8 years finally on the bay...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Dec 15, 2006.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    but the most recent owner modded it. :bawl:

no biggie - actually like the rmc in there, although i wonder why there are no switches on it for the rmc.

still, after so many times getting so close to buying this bass, to finally see it up for grabs and ... modified from the original. ugh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1995-CONKLIN-7-...7QQihZ017QQcategoryZ64415QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

not that i have enough money for it right now... :meh:

2. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Always the worst part about seeing "that bass" up for sale anywhere...

:crying:

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah. :scowl: especially since who knows what kind of shape it's going to be in the next time it pops up. :meh:

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Can you add the original pickups back into it? Or is that too much of a hassle?

5. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Gosh, could the guys Letters be any bigger?

Sorry John, hope there will be another. :meh:

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It even comes with a suspension bridge for a strap.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Oh, and why the hell is it listed under Guitar-Memorabilia rather than Bass-Other Brands? His target audience won't be looking much there.

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, it looks like it was modded before this guy got it - it used to have a 7 pin out that was piezo on each string, and a rack unit that had seperate vol and l/r balance for each string piezo (my first fretted 7 was the first bass and only other one that bill made with this system). looks like that rack unit was lost, and the original piezo buffer preamp was changed.

the pickups look original, it's all the electronics. it used to have a demeter preamp on board. i like the rmc being on there, but the demeter pre was way better than any bart. -ack-.

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    It sounds like the mods were for the better though. Perhaps I'm naive. BUT I wouldn't buy that guitar just because of his friend. I can't trust anyone who hangs out with dudes that sport mullets like that.:bag:

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you mean the tall guy in the picture in the auction? that's bill conklin, the guy who built it. :eyebrow:

also, the guy wearing the bass is billy dickens, who the bass was made for, not the guy running the auction.

11. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    That's a really nice looking instrument. I dig the fingerboard.

667b_12.

Joe

12. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Haha, you kinda dissed mr conklin unless i missunderstood you.

13. ....Geez, that was funny :D As a fan of both I did recognise them..

On a more serious note, I feel for ya John. It's bad seeing a bass when you don't have the cash....Been there recently...:(