Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Argh! bass question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by subout, Sep 24, 2004.

1. subout

subout

Sep 24, 2004
    I had written a pretty elaborate post, but submitted without being logged in so i lost it. This is just a summary, cause that stoner move made me mad. Haha :crying:

I have been playing for 1.5-2 years now. I started with a hohner b-bass which was cool, and nowI'm playing an ibanez edb600.

One problem im having is that it just sounds too modern, sometimes i want a classic deep mellow bass sound, you know? Something with actual bass and sustain a la James Jamerson/portishead/ you get the idea. Forget about trying to play those types of lines on a freakin' edb600.

The material its made out of just reflects the sound waves, it doesnt really absorb and resonate like a real bass should. the sustain is awful.

However, i do enjoy the sound it has esp. for pedalling type of basslines and doing chords. I'm playing w/ a frontman 25b which has all the juice i need at this point, since im just working on stepping my "game" up, and having little jam sessions with synths and guitars.

Another problem im having is that some frets seem to have more sustain, while others seem dead. Is it the way my bass is setup? should i have it looked at? Could this be contributing to the lack of mellowness? I suspect it could just be the model.

Anyways I have 500 dollars saved up, im thinking about getting a more mellow, classic sounding bass. Would you recomend a p-bass? a j? i heard the j was a relatively bright sounding bass , but i suspect its a different kind of brightness.

thanks for your help.

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    You could go a long way towards getting the Jamerson sound if you switched to flatwound strings.

3. J has two pups so it has more treble than P which has only one pup, and it has very good mellow sound ( i wonder why they call it jazz :D ) Ibanez is mostly producing heavy metal guitars and basses which are all very bright, so if you are looking for jazzier sound i don't know how did you finish with ibanez.
    I think that Jazz MIM would probably be something that you're looking for, but as this is already said 10000x you should go to your local music store, and try all the basses there to see which one fits your needs best.

4. subout

subout

Sep 24, 2004
    hah, i ended up with an ibanez cause it fit in with the sound i was initially pursuing, i started learning bass because of justin chancellor. I know it sounds nothing like his bass but I liked the way chords sound on the edb600.

Now im looking to acheive a "jazzier" sound.

5. Sounds like you need a Fender.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have had much experience with the EDB.. It's icky and smells funny.. and it's heavy. Sell it and get a fender or something.

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I know, Sell the EDB, take that money along with your 500 and get fourstrings' 75 re-issue for sale in the classifieds. That bass is light as $%#% and the tone, OHHHH, we're talking strong (for a passive) output, smooth mellow growl. On top of it all, you'll have a killer looking collectible PLAYERS' bass that should only appreciate in value.