Argh! First chips in my Bongo!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jan 28, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Well, it lasted 245 days. From May 28, 2005 to January 28, 2006, exactly 35 weeks after putting my hands on my Bongo for the first time, it happened: I was practicing and then put the bass (still plugged) on the stand. I started walking, pulled the cable with my foot and BANG! (One more reason for hating cables. They're #1 public enemy) Fortunately the body didn't suffer (apparently), but now I have these "character" chips in my preciated instrument's headstock. I know that I will accept it in the end, but right now I'm extremely pissed with myself :mad: . I've started this thread in this forum because I appreciate any advice, but this is more of a venting post.

2. Bah!

I chipped my headstock the first day... not the ground, but a fan overhead..body chips bother me a lot more than a a marred headstock....
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It happens. Basically you get pissed and stressed out for a few days but after a short period of time you dont care anymore. You'll be fine :)
  4. some people like chips... i do in really old basses... especially uprights... when you can see multiple patches on an upright, you know its either really old or fell out of the back of someones truck... lol
  5. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Advice is to put it out of mind. It's ok, and it happens to every one of us.

You mean it hasn't been beer baptized yet? :cool:
  6. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Our drummer plays a kit with a - Bullet Hole in it.
  7. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Now you can tell people you have a 'relic' Bongo - but a very light relic job (so far).
  8. I once banged the backside of the body of my Music Man Stingray into a large metal support beam. Luckily I don't think it did much though. Phew...
  9. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Well, that's definitely not as bad as damaging the back of your neck, why does it have to happen to me all the time? :crying:
  10. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Theres a bunch of plaster on the top of my bass's headstock... No need to say how or why
  11. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    throw it away, it's worthless now.
  12. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Chips do suck! Checking is cool though. If you get too many chips and want to make it so that they won't be noticed, wipe the body down with laquer thinner and then you will have a checked body, and no one will notice the chips.
  13. yeah.. me being an angsta-teen, i slammed my yamaha-the cheep kind of course- into a crash cymabal... left a pretty huge gash... you cant tell though, its a "natural finish" body.. so its got all sorts of nicks by the pbass pickups but they dont show up..

now, what does suck, is going out and spending your life savings on a thinline reissue tele (my friend of course, back when we were both like 15) and then it randomly gettting a giant nick in it... he claims he has no clue how it happened.. and blames it on his brother... i think he did something stupid and wont tell me ^_^
  14. That sucks, it happens. Worst thing I've seen is my guitarist's binding on his 335 getting chipped, by the repair guy of all people. First scratch on my warwick had me going off the wall. Now I just accept that the lower edge of my bass is going to get dings in it.
  15. duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    Follow the 3 rules of home improvement.

1. Caulk it.
    2. Learn to live with it.
    3. It's supposed to look like that.

3 is correct!

16. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    One thing I love about my warwick corvette is the body wood seems to be so heavy and dense I can whack it on stuff sometimes and not get any dents. :p